P1000 Trailering in the rain

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This is probably a stupid question but it is appropriate considering I am stuck in the house right now instead of riding because it is pouring down rain.

I was thinking about taking my new Pioneer to my brother's house tomorrow and showing it off and riding some trails on the farm. Unfortunately there is a fairly high chance of rain in the area tomorrow.

I know from CP's video that splashes of water that get on the hood are not conducive to continued operation but what about towing 70+ MPH in a driving rain? While there wouldn't be any vacuum pulling anything into the system the intake is right up near the front of the hood and it is lower than the rest of the under hood area. Is there a possibility that water could migrate under the hood while trailering and make it's way into the intake?

What if you were driving the machine in the rain? That, I would think could be a similar problem.

Anyone have any insight?

PCB67SS

PCB67SS

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2015
Panama City Beach
I believe you'll be just fine, I drove mine 50mph in the rain with no windshield to say the least it was refreshing.
You could also back in on the trailer, and hope upon return it is still raining for a free rinse job.
Go enjoy that new machine.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just think about the possibilities if you stop at a car wash and use that high pressure wand to clean the front of your PK1. It's enough to keep you awake at night, huh? LOL.

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
Uh, stuck in the house because it's raining? Dude that's the best time to ride!

Reactions: MAV
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I believe you'll be just fine, I drove mine 50mph in the rain with no windshield to say the least it was refreshing.
You could also back in on the trailer, and hope upon return it is still raining for a free rinse job.
Go enjoy that new machine.

So no ill effects?

How hard was it raining? Fine mist or soak you to the bone raining?

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just think about the possibilities if you stop at a car wash and use that high pressure wand to clean the front of your PK1. It's enough to keep you awake at night, huh? LOL.

It doesn't take a lot to keep me up at night. I am one of those people.

That wouldn't be a problem for me because very seldom clean anything and never with a pressure washer. :)

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Uh, stuck in the house because it's raining? Dude that's the best time to ride!

Hah!

Not for me. I don't like getting in the rain. Mostly because I wear glasses (and have for many years) and I can't see out of them when they get rain on them.

I am pretty much a fair weather rider. :)

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Crow, if driving mine 50 mph in the rain screws it up I bought the wrong SXS. Relax and enjoy.

PCB67SS

PCB67SS

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2015
Panama City Beach
So no ill effects?

How hard was it raining? Fine mist or soak you to the bone raining?
It was pouring rain....both me and my friend were drowned, but it felt good after working in the baking sun all that morning......And i always pressure wash my unit before it gets put away......just avoid attempting submarine stream crossing unless snorkeled.
We also were wearing full face helmets......as I to need my glasses at times.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's fine to trailer in the rain. Heck when I'm done riding for the day and heading home I like when it rains because it washes off some of the mud!

advertisement
SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hah!

Not for me. I don't like getting in the rain. Mostly because I wear glasses (and have for many years) and I can't see out of them when they get rain on them.

I am pretty much a fair weather rider. :)

Ah I see now, no windshield. Up north here in the coastal rain forests, if you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride much, I went with hard roof and the 2 piece hardcoat on mine, and always get a good chuckle riding with friends on their ATV's in full rain gear freezing their dingle berries off, and I'm getting a nice warm butt from the seat, and only getting the rain version of a driving suntan (part of 1 arm a little wet).

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, I ACTUALLY HAVE ONE NOW!:rolleyes:o_O I can go out and look at it instead of asking questions from you guys.:D

It doesn't intake air the way I thought it did at all. It doesn't actually intake air from under the removable "hood" the air intake is actually behind the radiator underneath the body. Honestly not a whole lot different than the intake on my pickup truck. Doh.

Then it goes in through the prefilter around a corner and up over a 3 inch or so "dam" and into a the intake system. Surprisingly it actually has a clever drain in the prefilter chamber. A design I may file away to steal at a later date for a completely different product. ;)

I don't think you can pull water in that way as easily as I thought although I think I probably would have designed it a little differently. I think a better design would have been to have the prefilter exit face the opposite way instead of facing the radiator or at least added a little piece of material to act as a deflector from splashes. But then again, if you were to pull a vacuum on it, the behavior may be completely different than I think it is.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Trailering I can't imagine getting any in there because it would have to be running and sucking from the front. I'm not sure if rain would actually hurt unless you were in a severe downpour but avoid puddles at high speed. But still... Snorkel that beast and not worry. There are so many ways to do it and cheaply and even invisible

Reactions: Eltobgi
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I agree with CP! The only other option for piece of mind is to buy a brand new matching enclosed trailer.:)

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
IMG 20160325 161730 zpskjufr2uf

It doesn't look that deep, but the fricken monster truck ruts are ruthless lol.

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
This is probably a stupid question but it is appropriate considering I am stuck in the house right now instead of riding because it is pouring down rain.

I was thinking about taking my new Pioneer to my brother's house tomorrow and showing it off and riding some trails on the farm. Unfortunately there is a fairly high chance of rain in the area tomorrow.

I know from CP's video that splashes of water that get on the hood are not conducive to continued operation but what about towing 70+ MPH in a driving rain? While there wouldn't be any vacuum pulling anything into the system the intake is right up near the front of the hood and it is lower than the rest of the under hood area. Is there a possibility that water could migrate under the hood while trailering and make it's way into the intake?

What if you were driving the machine in the rain? That, I would think could be a similar problem.

Anyone have any insight?

Load it up and use the thing. Soak it, get it filthy, scratch it. Let it sit out in the rain. Pull it in the rain. Drive it in the rain. Get off your you know what and go make some memories. Go show it off to your brother and take him for a ride. What the he@& are you waiting for? It's a Honda so use it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Rain keeps the dust down. You'll learn:)

Reactions: DRAGFOOT and sharp
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I sure I am confused after reading this post. I thought the snorkel ran off of the pre-filter area directly under the hood? You just extended that area straight up.

So the snorkels are running from the radiator area under the hood?

I thought like CrowHunter that it all started directly underneath the hood where the filter is?

advertisement