Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Are you talking about locking the hitch to prevent theft? Or locking a gate? or locking an enclosed trailer?

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
If your talking about a hitch lock @JTW, I have used one of these on one of my trailers for about 6 years without any problems. But I have also kept a small bucket over the whole hitch to keep some of the weather off it
86 00 5015 Universal Coupler Lock LK2 500x500
Max Security Universal Coupler Lock

J

JTW

Does anyone have any experience with a lock that has been compromised and failed or successful in keeping someone out? Obviously, with enough time and effort they can be gotten around.. but I want the bastards to have to work for it and sweat and make noise!! Something that's not easily knocked or pried off.. and is going to be a pain in the rear to cut with a cordless grinder and cutting wheel!

Reactions: ChadD and MNnice
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone have any experience with a lock that has been compromised and failed or successful in keeping someone out? Obviously, with enough time and effort they can be gotten around.. but I want the bastards to have to work for it and sweat and make noise!! Something that's not easily knocked or pried off.. and is going to be a pain in the rear to cut with a cordless grinder and cutting wheel!
Get good insurance. A 85 pound meth head/crack head woman can steal anything, and walk away with it on her shoulder.

advertisement
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
J

JTW

I use this one and like it, although I lost the key once and was able to cut off with battery powered sawzall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah.. they are good for keeping half honest folks from taking it butbthey do little to stop or slow a dedicated theif. That's what's on the big trailer now.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When buying my trailer I asked the guys to recommend a lock - they recommended redundancy - said any lock can be bypassed - you just want to frustrate the hell out of whoever is trying to steal the trailer so that they give up. I use one of the cam lock pins and a security cable with lock through the tires as a back up. I want to add a trailer hitch lock (that locks up the ball) and even a lock the chains to keep them shorten that they cant just hook up and drive off with the chains.

never really given much thought to them stealing it off my truck - may have to think of that too

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After buying or using a Milwaukee M18 Fuel 5" grinder, you'll just put your trailer in a safe place and pay for insurance. I've looked at lots of locks for my 18' car hauler but none of them are great for somebody that really wants to steal something. For me a tongue lock, insurance and a safe storage space is the only way to keep a trailer. In the end a lock is only keeping the honest people away. I personally use a Masterlock through the hitch pin hole.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tie a pitbull to it! When i was at windrock a guy basically had a shepard for that and it was trained for the flags he set around his setup. As long as you didn't get close to the flags dog never made a peep.

J

JTW

Master Lock™ Tongue Trailer Lock | Academy
This is what I use. I have had to cut lock off once and it took thirty minutes with the torch. Needless to say I got one on all my trailers and also have them all stored in my garage except the goose neck which is under the lean to.
That's the style I'm leaning towards.. did you happen to try and "beat it off"?? Lol.. I couldn't resist! But seriously, did you? We buy this crap thinking it will work but we never "test" them ourselves. I'm sure I could get into any of them with the right tools and time.

J

JTW

After buying or using a Milwaukee M18 Fuel 5" grinder, you'll just put your trailer in a safe place and pay for insurance. I've looked at lots of locks for my 18' car hauler but none of them are great for somebody that really wants to steal something. For me a tongue lock, insurance and a safe storage space is the only way to keep a trailer. In the end a lock is only keeping the honest people away. I personally use a Masterlock through the hitch pin hole.
I don't disagree.. but we've switched to aluminum trailers that scream "take me"!! So I'm just trying to buy us as much time as possible.

Reactions: swsebek and sharp
advertisement