Trailer axle height inquiry

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just purchased a 16ft gooseneck for $800 so I am super excited about the price. I know it needs some TLC but my first project is getting the deck height raised to help it align with my truck. Should I change the axle from undersprung to oversprung, or should I leave the axles undersprung and use 3"box tube welded between the leaf hangers and frame? I can set the axles to pretty much what ever height I need. Do you think I can get enough height to clear the bed? The tongue is height adjustable.

IMG 20210225 130319

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
You definitely got some challenges with that setup. Kinda looks like a converted camper frame. That square nose on the trailer, and your short box truck isn’t going to get along very nice especially turning or off angle driving like pulling into approaches and the such.

You need to increase the bed clearance for sure. Flipping the axels to under the springs will get you quite a bit...like 3” or so. Larger new rims and tires maybe. After that it’s welding and torch time.

At the end of the day it comes down to how much is your inexpensive trailer really costing you.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You definitely got some challenges with that setup. Kinda looks like a converted camper frame. That square nose on the trailer, and your short box truck isn’t going to get along very nice especially turning or off angle driving like pulling into approaches and the such.

You need to increase the bed clearance for sure. Flipping the axels to under the springs will get you quite a bit...like 3” or so. Larger new rims and tires maybe. After that it’s welding and torch time.

At the end of the day it comes down to how much is your inexpensive trailer really costing you.
I found an offset b and w ball that will push the trailer away from the cab 4". I don't mind spending some money on it. I am budgeting $800 for tires, ramps, new offset ball, and height modifications and I think I will be all set. I have a guy I work with who can spray the whole thing with an undercoating for free. If I can be around 1500 total I will be happy. Around here a used trailer like this ready to go would be probably 2500.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess my main concern is should I overhang the axles or space the axles with box tube between the frame and leaf hangers. I don't want to make the trailer less capable of a load. Currently the heaviest thing I even own that I will pull is a Kubota L3301. I figured this trailer might be good up to 10k lbs. I just don't want to do anything to it that would hinder its towing capacity.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You could do some measuring on your current leaf springs and find ones that are similar

etrailer.com has some reasonable options.

I broke a spring on a 5,000lb axle at work. After looking at all 4, I bought a flatter leaf pack and made a little longer shackles with some tube steel. The leaf packs were under $200 for all 4 and now I know it holds more weight and is higher to sit more level with the truck.

I was told to keep the axles on top of the leafs, etrailer says it rides better.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I guess I just figured if I was going to remount the leafs and paint my trailer, I should do new leafs then it’s all good to go.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I guess my main concern is should I overhang the axles or space the axles with box tube between the frame and leaf hangers. I don't want to make the trailer less capable of a load. Currently the heaviest thing I even own that I will pull is a Kubota L3301. I figured this trailer might be good up to 10k lbs. I just don't want to do anything to it that would hinder its towing capacity.

In all seriousness, if the trailer is a converted camper trailer, there is simply no way it could handle 10k lbs. for a couple of reasons.

Likely at best the axels are a pair of 3500lb axels. If the tires are 5 or 6 bolt 15” rims or smaller you can pretty safely assume this.

A camper frame is not built the same as a true gooseneck. Having a gooseneck stem on a camper frame without heavy reinforcements is well known to be a failure point in the 5ver RV world.

At maximum your axels are the limiting factor....weight of trailer minus the axel capacity will give you a rough idea. I would guess the trailer as is is probably around 5000 lbs max capacity without taking it to a scale.

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had forgotten I started this thread. I have flipped the axles on the trailer and gained some good height. It sits level with the truck. I was able to get some nice aluminum ramps and I put 10 ply tires on it. I hauled the pioneer a few times with it and the Kubota L3301 a couple times with it. It turned out to be a decent trailer.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I had forgotten I started this thread. I have flipped the axles on the trailer and gained some good height. It sits level with the truck. I was able to get some nice aluminum ramps and I put 10 ply tires on it. I hauled the pioneer a few times with it and the Kubota L3301 a couple times with it. It turned out to be a decent trailer.
Cool, have any current pics?

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cool, have any current pics?
I need to get some pictures of it. I had totally forgotten I made this post until yesterday. I just looked thru my phone and I did not find any recent photos after I flipped the axle. By flipped I mean the leaf position. I welded new perches on the top of the axle to keep the bowed side up after the "flip"

advertisement
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I dug thru my photos and couldn't find any pictures taken after I did the flip. We just got home with a new to us trailer from auctiontime and the old trailer is up for sale now.

IMG 20220109 093504