P500 Tires

hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
I will say I hate tires. They bad part, for me anyway, what you end up buying, I will have until they are worn out.
The other thing, whenever you ask anyone about tires, whatever they have on their machine is the best tire you can buy.
I put Carlisle Black Rock on mine, 26X9 all the way around.
I think they are ok, yes way better than the stock tires.
But, I now have to buy tires because of sidewall damage. 2nd time on same tire. I was able to plug up the first hole back in March, no fixing this one.
SO I am on the hunt again.
Enough rambling!
Live free and ride hard!

Reactions: JACKAL and Hondasxs
SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
I got the Carlisle Black Rock tires on my P5 when I first bought the machine mainly because that's all they had and I wanted to go bigger than stock. I had them for 7 months before the first sidewall slice...one month later 3 tires with sidewall slices. I actually liked the tread and ride but....so I went back to tires I had on my RZR. Kenda Bearclaw HTR's. Good tire that, on the RZR, I didn't have any issues with. I had Mudlites years ago with sidewall issues so won't go back. I also had Interco Swamplites and Reptile Radials. Both great tires but wore a little quickly on road and dirt roads. LOVED my Maxxis Zillas but was into mudding then (no longer). There are a few I will never buy again (Black Rock, Mud lite) and the rest had their plusses and minuses. With my style of riding I now like my HTR's....but I won't comment on tires I have never had..hell how could I know if I never had them :) I don't think the perfect tire is out there...just the one that suits you and lasts

Reactions: hambone
hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
SBuckJ spell check really doesn't like that name!
Jackal seems ok!
Good comments from both. Thank you!
I have heard good on HTR, but not on P5. Meaning I haven't heard of anyone that had them on P5, until now.
Each machine I think acts different with each tire, as with terrain.
I like the idea of same size around, but might not be practical
Did I mention I hate tires?
Unless you want to talk about class 8 truck tires! I am all in there!

Reactions: SBuckJ
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Cant go wrong with pretty much any maxxis but i do love my ripsaws :)

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Ripsaws and they are bomb proof and unstoppable only downfall are they are HEAVY and do take away from the low end but totally worth the grou d clearance and traction

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Jack you have Rocktane or Ripsaw's?

@jak9922 has Ripsaws @JACKAL has Roctane XD Just gotta pick you poison. whatever flavor you like.

Reactions: jak9922
advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I'm SO Confused!
Will somebody help me? I've got a flat tire!!!
Lol.

Hambone. Some question about this.
What size wheels do I have? what pressure are you running?
Does it look like there is 2 holes in the sidewall? Or one hole and a cut close by?

I ask because close to 75% of sidewall holes are from tire pinch and not from a physical object. Many confuse them as its easy to do.

As for tire choice. I'm in your same boat. I originally bought 14" rim's. Cut the sidewall in 2 spots on the first trip. I switched back to 12's that week for more sidewall flex.

So. It's really hard for me to pick a tire. Guess I just need to slow down. Lol.

Reactions: joeymt33
hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
Lol.

Hambone. Some question about this.
What size wheels do I have? what pressure are you running?
Does it look like there is 2 holes in the sidewall? Or one hole and a cut close by?

I ask because close to 75% of sidewall holes are from tire pinch and not from a physical object. Many confuse them as its easy to do.

As for tire choice. I'm in your same boat. I originally bought 14" rim's. Cut the sidewall in 2 spots on the first trip. I switched back to 12's that week for more sidewall flex.

So. It's really hard for me to pick a tire. Guess I just need to slow down. Lol.
I put 4 stock front wheels off a Rubicon and am running 4 same width tires 9"
It is pretty possible wheel pinch. I will try and throw up a pic tomorrow . It is sure not fixable. Might be from not enough pressure. It is possible it is my fault, but I do mt seem to be only one with sidewall issues with this tire. Doesn't mean it is tires fault I reckon.
But, still I am down to 3 tires and don't want to get one Carlisle

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I'm SO Confused!
Will somebody help me? I've got a flat tire!!!

It's only flat on the bottom right? Just turn it over.

Seriously though, it depends on the tire and terrain you are running. If you are pinching the sidewalls of your tires you either are running too low of tire pressure or your tires sidewall stiffness is lacking for the terrain and or your driving style. If rocks are giving you fits try a good set of 8 ply radial tires at 8-10 PSI and that should solve it. I personally run STI Roctane XD's on my P500 and on my prior SXS and had no flats in approx. 2000 miles of very rocky trail riding. I run 26 x 9 x 12 on stock rims all the way around at 8 PSI, I have not had a flat or cut a sidewall yet with this brand / model of tire. I recommend having them mounted, I heard them grumbling about how stiff & difficult they were to get on and seated, that = one tough sidewall.

Reactions: hambone
SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
Personally...I think the Carlisle Black Rocks aren't the right tire for any terrain after my experience...years riding and have never had so many plugs in so many tires in so short of a time...I agree the 8-ply is the way to go if they aren't too heavy...So many choices out there makes the whole decision making difficult, but fun...and SBuckJ is fun with the spell check...confuses the helloutta of it-LOL

Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I went with Maxxis Bighorn 2.0's 26-11-12 on all four corners. I went with 11 wide for better floatation when crossing tundra. Originally decided on these for a couple reasons, price, availability for shipping to Alaska, and experience with them when I did trail surveys for the State for 2 years (put thousands of miles on ATV's over that time cut some Mudlites to shreds on shale) These are 6 ply radials and have done very well so far, I did some very tough terrain this past week from gravel roads, rocky slopes with shales and granite boulders (dented the frame on one rock), wet sloppy mud, thick sticky clay, rocky and sandy/silty creek crossings, thick brush, and downed trees from and old burn in the area. Yea seems like a lot to go through in one area but if you have been to Alaska you know this country is rough on people, machines, and gear. All in all I had a blast and was very happy with the performance of the tires and the P500 overall.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
SBuckJ spell check really doesn't like that name!
Jackal seems ok!
Good comments from both. Thank you!
I have heard good on HTR, but not on P5. Meaning I haven't heard of anyone that had them on P5, until now.
Each machine I think acts different with each tire, as with terrain.
I like the idea of same size around, but might not be practical
Did I mention I hate tires?
Unless you want to talk about class 8 truck tires! I am all in there!

I run HTRs. Tough tire, but lighter in terms of apples to apples with other 8ply tires. I rode my Millbrook land this weekend, and they hooked up well on the power line climbs. I'm fairly confident it would take some effort to punch through these sidewalls. I do like they measured over 26" so you aren't paying for a 26" tire and getting a 25" OD. They are also on the low end of the price spectrum, and the 9's on all 4 do fine with the HTRs as they are flat so you have a larger contact patch than a balloon style 9" bias. Just my 2 cents -

Reactions: SBuckJ
hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
Thanks for all your replies!
I have never had a flat issue when on the Rubicon, this is all new. I am assuming the extra weight.
I will let ya all know when I get a set!

advertisement