Tires

K

kukini

Sep 5, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. Other Brand
With the fixed gearing of the DCT transmission, how well does the Pioneer perform when equipped with larger and heavier tires? Is there any tuning available similar to a CVT transmission to compensate for the performance loss?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
D

DDDonkey

I will pipe in because I was pretty worried about this too. I went from the stock deluxe wheel set up to a 15" wheel and truck tires 29" tall. You can feel a difference but it is not too bad at all, less than I thought. I downloaded an app on my phone and did some runs 0-60mph in 95 degree weather and it was about a 1.5 sec difference. In stock form I was about 18 sec and with the new rims and tires I was 19.4 sec. I know the app is not great but it was free, now for the fun stuff. My stock wheel with 700+ miles (half worn) weighed 35lbs for the fronts and 46lbs for the rears so a total of 162ish pounds, and the new setup is 54lbs each for a total of 216lbs, a difference of over 50lbs!

I know you can get the Power Command with auto tune and that should help the low end, but I have not gotten it yet. The only real loss I can tell is the 58mph and up seems to be slower. I don't normally travel that fast so it does not bother be at.

Let us know if you find a different tuner that works..

Reactions: kukini
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
With the fixed gearing of the DCT transmission, how well does the Pioneer perform when equipped with larger and heavier tires? Is there any tuning available similar to a CVT transmission to compensate for the performance loss?
I do not have the large tires installed yet but drove many with and have seen enough that I’m switching. Larger tires kinda roll over stuff better as you probably know so that makes up for some however take off suffers just a little.
There is no easy way for gearing in the DCT like there is with CVT but there is a gear reduction setup available, it’s still got a couple kinks, @snuffnwhisky has been working on cleaning it up still I believe. Hopefully he’ll pipe in for you
As far as performance the tuner and exhaust help a bit out of the hole and to mid range just a little, IMO they are worth it but not everyone would feel the same

Last edited:
K

kukini

Sep 5, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thank you both for your responses. I'm just trying to get a better idea of how the DCT works and performs in anticipation of the Talon. I'm conservative when it comes to tire size and content just to go up the next larger size available from stock.