sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, I would like to have lightweight, secure storage that will fit in the front of my bed. It must be shorter than bed rails and would prefer 1/2 the height or less. Also, would really need it to be secure. So able to put a lock on it and bolt it in somehow.

Thoughts?

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, I would like to have lightweight, secure storage that will fit in the front of my bed. It must be shorter than bed rails and would prefer 1/2 the height or less. Also, would really need it to be secure. So able to put a lock on it and bolt it in somehow.

Thoughts?
What are you planning on storing? Im not sure how you could bolt it through the bed and not ruin the flip up seats. Would a lock on the glove box or the holder like CP has in his tailgate work

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not sure. But a small compressor, tools, water pump to flush radiator, maybe clothes, food not needing cooler. I just purchased the underseat box to put tow straps, ratchets straps, shackles, etc in and protect the electronics. I need storage for my other things too. I guess ideally it would fit behind the seats with the tailgate closed as well.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not sure. But a small compressor, tools, water pump to flush radiator, maybe clothes, food not needing cooler. I just purchased the underseat box to put tow straps, ratchets straps, shackles, etc in and protect the electronics. I need storage for my other things too. I guess ideally it would fit behind the seats with the tailgate closed as well.
I just strap in an action packer but it wont fit with tailgate closed, not much will. Maybe a soft bag perhaps

Reactions: sharp
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That bag @ohanacreek used will work well for that and it straps to the cage or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Plumber32 and sharp
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hmmm, that's nice. Where do you keep it?

Also, that could easily be taken or cut. My last trip we ate at a restaurant and I would like to have something more secure if possible.

@Windrock1000 has a roll cage bag, longer, that could hold his compressor. I have one from Cabela's that won't hold mine. So it's sitting.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hmmm, that's nice. Where do you keep it?

Also, that could easily be taken or cut. My last trip we ate at a restaurant and I would like to have something more secure if possible.

@Windrock1000 has a roll cage bag, longer, that could hold his compressor. I have one from Cabela's that won't hold mine. So it's sitting.

I keep it strapped to the passenger grab handle... but I don’t really leave it anywhere unattended. When I’ve been at a restaurant or store I try to park where I can keep it in sight.

After I pick up an AC capable tig welder I’m gonna try to make some Aluminum storage for the bed.

Reactions: Plumber32
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I keep it strapped to the passenger grab handle... but I don’t really leave it anywhere unattended. When I’ve been at a restaurant or store I try to park where I can keep it in sight.

After I pick up an AC capable tig welder I’m gonna try to make some Aluminum storage for the bed.

I'm hoping to find something aluminum I like

Reactions: swsebek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm hoping to find something aluminum I like

Nothing I’ve seen is an efficient use of space for me, I might as well throw a big plastic tub from Walmart back there.

I’ve got an idea but no AC welder to be able to give it form.

advertisement
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nothing I’ve seen is an efficient use of space for me, I might as well throw a big plastic tub from Walmart back there.

I’ve got an idea but no AC welder to be able to give it form.

I have a plastic tub, but it is big, taller than I'd like. Allows dust in. Part of my winter upgrade program, so I have some time.

Reactions: Plumber32
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a plastic tub, but it is big, taller than I'd like. Allows dust in. Part of my winter upgrade program, so I have some time.

Yeah the dust is the problem. I have a big action packer that does a good job of keeping dust out but it’s not an efficient size. I also have some Pelican cases but none of them are just the right size and you can’t divide food from getting crushed from everything else.

My recover gear is in the bag my tools are under the drivers seat in a 50cal ammo can. My glove box is free for the misc stuff I need to throw some where.

I’m looking to make either of these with some movable dividers:

A. A storage box that will fit behind the rear seats and rest on the tailgate ⅓ of it would be cooler or Id make my Ozark trail cooler fit on one side.

B: A storage box that would fit on the passenger side of the bed and fit with the tailgate up with one long drawer to hold misc stuff for a ride. I have a Ozark trail cooler I’d strap to the top. This would still let me use one seat or the other half of the bed.

Reactions: JTW
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You've got a good plan.

I thought about Pelican with the foam on the inside, it would hold things well. You could cut it well enough to keep food safe, I think. They are expensive though.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You've got a good plan.

I thought about Pelican with the foam on the inside, it would hold things well. You could cut it well enough to keep food safe, I think. They are expensive though.

I have one that’s cut out for my camera gear that was in the bed for the Overland trip. Which was a waste of space because I took I think 4-5 pictures with it the whole weekend.

You could use a pelican case they are awesome but for how I would use them the foam isn’t rigid enough nor re-adjustable and I could probably buy some that are close enough to the right size but none of the ones I have are close to the right size.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also have one for my video camera I take hunting

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Tigermark has a shorter Truck tool box that works well from tractor supply.
Tractor Supply Mid-Size Single Lid Aluminum Chest Tool Box, Silver, 37 in. L at Tractor Supply Co.

They often have sales on it as well. I currently use a black plastic box that I hold in place with a strap - it is lockable and keep dirt out. I have come really close in getting the box above but it is almost a little too big for me.

I have taken to utilizing the foot holds of the rear passengers to hold specific gear like my recovery and air compressor - only issue is if you happen to roll on that side you could trap your recovery gear - so I am going to move that but still keep the small compressor and a few other things.. none of this helps if you have a full cart - you are leaving something behind or getting a extender to hold more.

My box:

3D76741A D5F8 412B B988 1940E2D0494E

J

JTW

I switched to the small action packers and they work pretty well for what they are..

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, I have the JEI bed extender and would like to keep it in all the time, or nearly so. I took it out for the Overland Adventure as I had room for 2 passengers anyway.

That case won't work. The bed is 47" at it's narrowest at the front. I only have 10" between the front of the bed and the bed extender. It would be great if I could send the extender back and he make it adjustable.

advertisement