P1000 Thinking about a new P1K5 or RZR 1000

K

KirkK

Nov 19, 2016
Buckeye, AZ
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Been lurking here for a while, and have an older Honda Foreman that's been bullet proof. I really like the 5 passenger capacity and short wheelbase of the P1k5. I'm not a racer, but I also don't want a machine that's under-powered.
I have a question on the clutch failures. Has anyone had more than one failure on the same machine? Just trying to figure out if the problem is a factory defect that gets corrected once the clutch has been replaced, or if this will be a recurring problem.

I know the RZRs are far from perfect, but Honda seems to have it's head in the sand with this clutch issue.

My riding is mainly in the desert, where getting stranded miles from a cell signal could be fatal.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Reactions: chadbo
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been lurking here for a while, and have an older Honda Foreman that's been bullet proof. I really like the 5 passenger capacity and short wheelbase of the P1k5. I'm not a racer, but I also don't want a machine that's under-powered.
I have a question on the clutch failures. Has anyone had more than one failure on the same machine? Just trying to figure out if the problem is a factory defect that gets corrected once the clutch has been replaced, or if this will be a recurring problem.

I know the RZRs are far from perfect, but Honda seems to have it's head in the sand with this clutch issue.

My riding is mainly in the desert, where getting stranded miles from a cell signal could be fatal.

Both will be great machines. The honda is by no means under powered. But given where you ride id go with the suspension of the razr if your just cruising around . If your more into exploring, id go honda. If you ever had a clutch issue about 3-5% had trouble, but it won't leave you stranded. If your constantly riding 50 mph razr if not pioneer.

chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Rumors of a Honda sport next year... if it were so that would be titties

J

JTW

You know what you get with Polaris.. they've got suspension and power!! But even after reading the bad posts about the p1k, I bought one.. dad bought one and a neighbor bought one... after buying and driving it. I'm not worried about clutches.. I think 98% of it is probably an early manufacturing issue and some user error... the rest, who knows!?

A

arizonasteeler

Mar 23, 2016
mesa arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I ride in the desert of Arizona and love my pioneer 1000 its more on par with the Polaris ranger than a rzr 1000 for performance,if your not riding in the dunes a lot the Honda is more than adequate for anything you will see. i sold my rzr xp 900 and bought my Honda and i'm not disappointed at all the rzr was a great machine with no major problems but the Honda will probably have less issues on longevity only time will tell.

Reactions: JTW and popeye
Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is one member that has had multiple issues with clutches. I think he is on his third set, but he is on his second machine due to water ingestion. He had no issues with clutches on his first. I've had no issues running 29.5 outlaw 2's in south Louisiana.

K

KirkK

Nov 19, 2016
Buckeye, AZ
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I ride in the desert of Arizona and love my pioneer 1000 its more on par with the Polaris ranger than a rzr 1000 for performance,if your not riding in the dunes a lot the Honda is more than adequate for anything you will see. i sold my rzr xp 900 and bought my Honda and i'm not disappointed at all the rzr was a great machine with no major problems but the Honda will probably have less issues on longevity only time will tell.

Out of curiosity, how does the P1k compare to the XP 900 from a performance standpoint?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Out of curiosity, how does the P1k compare to the XP 900 from a performance standpoint?

Clearance,travel, and HP all better on the Pioneer.

If just for drag race specs no idea but how often do you drag or hit top speed?

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It's hard to compare a sport model against a utility model if you're just going to go play Get The Polaris RZR but have them throw in some bushings bearings belts and a fire extinguisher.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I honestly don't think too many of the rzr 1000 guys got much seat time this year with all the recalls. Honda is a much more dependable rig even considering problems I've had. Snorkel the thing put heat shield on maybe the shocks for how your riding and go ride. Most aren't having issues

advertisement
A

arizonasteeler

Mar 23, 2016
mesa arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The 2012 xp 900 i had was about 300 lbs lighter and had a claimed 88hp for the dry sump engine and would definitely walk away from the Honda in a race but for AZ desert trail riding the Honda is a smooth machine and way better going down hill with the dct drive, i was following my neighbor in his 2016 50" rzr 900 the other day coming home on the highway going 60 mph or so and stayed right with him but he said he had a lot more pedal left and i had a little bit so that's the best i can compare.

N

NorthPioneer

Jan 26, 2017
CA
I always find it interesting how people want to compare the Pioneer to the RZR. They are different machines for different purposes, the closer comparison would be the Ranger or even a Can Am Defender. I realize the Ranger 900 is a very similar power plant to the RZR but I believe it is geared differently and the suspension is different just like the maverick and the defender from can am are different. When the Talon hits the trail we can start to compare directly to the RZR lol. Just my 2 cents not trying to start an argument!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I always find it interesting how people want to compare the Pioneer to the RZR. They are different machines for different purposes, the closer comparison would be the Ranger or even a Can Am Defender. I realize the Ranger 900 is a very similar power plant to the RZR but I believe it is geared differently and the suspension is different just like the maverick and the defender from can am are different. When the Talon hits the trail we can start to compare directly to the RZR lol. Just my 2 cents not trying to start an argument!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I was comparing the XP900 Ranger not the rzr, you're right BUT for kicks compare the specs on the 900rzr vs the 1000-5, Honda still better IMO. Little less travel comparing the 17's but its Sport vs Utility, so disparity is warranted.

K

KirkK

Nov 19, 2016
Buckeye, AZ
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The 2012 xp 900 i had was about 300 lbs lighter and had a claimed 88hp for the dry sump engine and would definitely walk away from the Honda in a race but for AZ desert trail riding the Honda is a smooth machine and way better going down hill with the dct drive, i was following my neighbor in his 2016 50" rzr 900 the other day coming home on the highway going 60 mph or so and stayed right with him but he said he had a lot more pedal left and i had a little bit so that's the best i can compare.

The 2015 & newer 900s were reduced to 75 hp, so I would expect the P1k to keep up pretty well. l definitely like the DCT in the Honda for true 4x4 geared engine braking. That's one of the things I love about my Foreman. Have you found the engine heat in the Pioneer to be a problem for desert trail riding?

I rode today with a neighbor in his RZR 4 800 in the desert. I'm amazed by the ride of the RZRs. They really soak up the trail. I not crazy about the constant drone of the Polaris engine/cvt however. I'm sure the drive train in the P1k would be significantly quieter. How would you compare the P1k to your XP900 suspension-wise for typical desert trail riding, under say 40 mph? (At what point does the Pioneer start to become unsettled?) I really don't plan to go to the dunes in Glamis, but I do enjoy riding at 30-40 mph on desert trails.

Do you know of any Honda dealers in the Phoenix area where I could get a short off-road test ride?

Thanks again for your input.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
A

arizonasteeler

Mar 23, 2016
mesa arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The 2015 & newer 900s were reduced to 75 hp, so I would expect the P1k to keep up pretty well. l definitely like the DCT in the Honda for true 4x4 geared engine braking. That's one of the things I love about my Foreman. Have you found the engine heat in the Pioneer to be a problem for desert trail riding?

I rode today with a neighbor in his RZR 4 800 in the desert. I'm amazed by the ride of the RZRs. They really soak up the trail. I not crazy about the constant drone of the Polaris engine/cvt however. I'm sure the drive train in the P1k would be significantly quieter. How would you compare the P1k to your XP900 suspension-wise for typical desert trail riding, under say 40 mph? (At what point does the Pioneer start to become unsettled?) I really don't plan to go to the dunes in Glamis, but I do enjoy riding at 30-40 mph on desert trails.

Do you know of any Honda dealers in the Phoenix area where I could get a short off-road test ride?

I have a2016

i have a 2016 p3 and yes it was more hot than my 2 seater rzr 900 but with a simple modification 20$ or so from home depot you can buy insulation board to put under neath your front seat and funnel the heat between the back seat and the bed this mod works great on the p3 but on a p5 might make it pretty warm for the rear passengers. and under 15 mph it rides pretty nice but the rzr shine's over 20mph riding and the p3 leaves a little to be desired over 20mph on rocky terrain. i cant say i ever feel unstable in the pioneer the suspension travel and ground clearance is pretty good also the 2017 models offer fox shocks which would improve it a bit.i dont know any dealer around here that lets you test drive but the "AZFG" Arizona fish and game has an event coming up real soon i think that usually has venders that let you try the vehicles out. check out there web site.

Reactions: JTW
K

KirkK

Nov 19, 2016
Buckeye, AZ
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have a2016

i have a 2016 p3 and yes it was more hot than my 2 seater rzr 900 but with a simple modification 20$ or so from home depot you can buy insulation board to put under neath your front seat and funnel the heat between the back seat and the bed this mod works great on the p3 but on a p5 might make it pretty warm for the rear passengers. and under 15 mph it rides pretty nice but the rzr shine's over 20mph riding and the p3 leaves a little to be desired over 20mph on rocky terrain. i cant say i ever feel unstable in the pioneer the suspension travel and ground clearance is pretty good also the 2017 models offer fox shocks which would improve it a bit.i dont know any dealer around here that lets you test drive but the "AZFG" Arizona fish and game has an event coming up real soon i think that usually has venders that let you try the vehicles out. check out there web site.

Thanks for your feedback! That's exactly the type of information I was looking for. I appreciate it!

Reactions: arizonasteeler
advertisement