P1000 These transmissions sure ain’t smooth!

H

Hardjerk

Jun 2, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
I went on my first long ride this morning and took my dog, this thing downshifts and it sucks! Wow it’s rough, I’m told it’ll get better after the first oil change, I sure hope so, that belt driven machine is super smooth and don’t downshift 5 times, has this ever made anyone go to a different buggy?

H

HondaSXS1343

Aug 15, 2020
US
Yeah it does get better, but boy do I enjoy it over a belt. I had a Polaris 1000 prior to my Pioneer, could never get use to that. I find I can ease into the throttle much easier with the Pioneer than the Polaris.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I know a guy here who bought a Polaris Northstar Crew Cab about two months ago. 95% of his riding is on pavement. He blew a belt a fews days ago and was stranded.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya like said and by the sounds of it you already know it gets smoother. Also you really do get use to it and drive just a little different. If you drive in manual and bring your foot slightly off throttle like a manual car it can be really smooth.
Had both belt and DCT, and even though early on with one machine I had severe problems with clutches (Honda’s got that fixed) I’d NEVER choose belt over DCT. Yami and Kawi have a great belt system for a belt but even then IMO the Honda setup is king.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yea I’m not getting rid of the machine, it’s stuck w me, but it sure ain’t smooth as a belt driven machine, I’ll get used to it over time I guess
Seriously give it just a little time. With machine prices the way they are it’s not going to hurt to keep it just for a minute. Most that don’t like it in the beginning really do enjoy it shortly down the road. It’s an adjustment though, the positive gears are a bit more aggressive. In all the years I’ve been in this site I’ve only seen a few who switched out down the road strictly because of the gears, many that went to different machine for whatever other reasons still say they miss the DCT. But I know it’s not for everyone.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yea I’ve seen miraculous reliability out of these machines, that supersedes a transmission
Buddy has over 25000 on his machine and uses tracks in the winter. Pulls trucks, trailers, skids big logs and rides hard. Original set of clutches. You’ll never see that from any belt drive.

Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had a chance to drive a fairly new Ranger this last weekend. Not a bad ride and not all that noisy put there is a definitely a step down in quality. Just cheaper quality all around in my opinion. Acceleration from dead stop will let you know its belt driven. Again, not a bad machine new but I can't imagine that they will hold up over time.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I went on my first long ride this morning and took my dog, this thing downshifts and it sucks! Wow it’s rough, I’m told it’ll get better after the first oil change, I sure hope so, that belt driven machine is super smooth and don’t downshift 5 times, has this ever made anyone go to a different buggy?
If your driving in low, it's even worse. Unless you're on a rough trail or a long steep decline, you should be in high.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They get better with time.

Reactions: Lady01 and Isaiah
76flip

76flip

Lifetime Member
Jan 21, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They get better with time.
I’m with the rest of the crowd. Mine was jumpy when new but now with over 8k on it it’s smoother. Driving style definitely helps. Just remember that we used to put shift kits in automatic transmission pickups so they did shift hard to keep them from slipping and make them last longer.