KyGal83

KyGal83

KGB, SNS, Duchess Sheldon, Ms. Daisy, Natasha
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
I am attempting to do my research and prepping for a future purchase. (Clearly I did not buy the other one.) Looking at the Honda website for 2 seaters it looks like I have 4 different trim levels and each having the Fox Live Valve option.

XS
XS Fox Live Valve
X
X FLV
RS
RS FLV
R
RFLV

I am trying to decipher the major differences to possibly make a purchase to start building a machine to suit my riding needs. I am mechanical challenged with the P500 on my best day, and completely dumb on the Talon. Can anyone give we a quick summary of the differences or make a suggestion on where to start? What does the FLV do other than switch from SHOWA to Fox shocks?

JUST RESEARCHING AT THIS POINT.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am attempting to do my research and prepping for a future purchase. (Clearly I did not buy the other one.) Looking at the Honda website for 2 seaters it looks like I have 4 different trim levels and each having the Fox Live Valve option.

XS
XS Fox Live Valve
X
X FLV
RS
RS FLV
R
RFLV

I am trying to decipher the major differences to possibly make a purchase to start building a machine to suit my riding needs. I am mechanical challenged with the P500 on my best day, and completely dumb on the Talon. Can anyone give we a quick summary of the differences or make a suggestion on where to start? What does the FLV do other than switch from SHOWA to Fox shocks?

X vs R is width and suspension travel and they have different rear end suspension designs as well.

S vs not S is a carryover of inventory vs the upgraded parts in the true new models

LV vs not LV is active electronic suspension vs standard suspension or essentially Live Valve vs Showa

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

XS
XS Fox Live Valve
X
X FLV
RS
RS FLV
R
RFLV

Don't get a S model or you will have s***ty power steering.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
An X2 suited our needs with lots of room for improvment/upgrades and still going. Tighter turning radius as well compared to the R

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you decide on an X because of its narrower stance (and seeing your photos, may be the best choice), go with the Live Valve. I rode in a '23 two seater X and it rode noticeably better than my '21 R two seater - and not by a little bit. Listen to the guys about an S, don't let anyone give you a deal that's too good to be true on an S.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
If buying new, go with the non "s" models for the improvements. I'd suggest R if going 2 seater. Just look at what everyone was running this past weekend, almost all were R except for the 4 seaters.

Have you considered used? If you are patient you can find some nicely equipped non abused machines in the 14-16k range with several thousand in upgrades already included. Going into fall and winter I would expect the deals to get even better.

-Bear-

-Bear-

NTC Master Fabricator
Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2019
Black Hills, SD
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I chose my X live valve cause we have width restrictions here in the Black Hills. As far as a LV vs non LV, I almost never turn mine on unless I am highway riding or joy riding the back gravel roads. When active, I can feel the suspension stiffen up and I take corners much better/faster. With it off, the suspension is soft and the body wants to roll with curves. So I never turn it on when trail riding cause it makes the ride not so smooth.

advertisement
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I chose my X live valve cause we have width restrictions here in the Black Hills. As far as a LV vs non LV, I almost never turn mine on unless I am highway riding or joy riding the back gravel roads. When active, I can feel the suspension stiffen up and I take corners much better/faster. With it off, the suspension is soft and the body wants to roll with curves. So I never turn it on when trail riding cause it makes the ride not so smooth.
10-4 on this!

Even the X is like trying to get a caddy thru a dog door at times…(especially the bus version x4).

My tires and fender flares rubbed the entire length of this bridge…both sides lol

IMG 6736

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
If buying new, go with the non "s" models for the improvements. I'd suggest R if going 2 seater. Just look at what everyone was running this past weekend, almost all were R except for the 4 seaters.

Have you considered used? If you are patient you can find some nicely equipped non abused machines in the 14-16k range with several thousand in upgrades already included. Going into fall and winter I would expect the deals to get even better.
Absolutely the truth. Used units in my area are falling like a rock ….

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X

XS
XS Fox Live Valve
X
X FLV
RS
RS FLV
R
RFLV

The "S" models should be about gone by now, but as the others have said, if you do find one at a dealer walk away, there's too many updates/upgrades to consider one at this point.

That leaves the width & suspension..... the X is 4" narrower and a bit shorter than the R, Honda made some updates to improve the turning radius so that's a moot point.
My opinion on the LV is if your running fast it's awesome, if not it's a waste of money and one more thing to break.

advertisement