Suggestions wanted for trail kit

Zaleski

Zaleski

Aug 28, 2019
Ohio
Hey all, just purchased a P500 this week and going to be riding the Wayne national forest 50” trails in the coming weeks. I rode there a few times when I was younger, but was usually ill prepared due to lack of funds. This go round I may be doing some riding alone, so want to make sure I’m covering most bases in building a trail kit, here’s what I have listed so far

Comealong (no winch)
100’ of rope
Ratchet straps
Spare tire
12v cigarette plug air compressor
Tire plug kit
Small tool kit
Jump pack

Also debating the following:
Small gas can
Folding saw
Stuff to start a fire

So what am I missing?

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Water
Mulestring
Ponchos
Black trash bags
Electrical wire, tape & terminals
Flashlight

Cyberjunk

Cyberjunk

Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
Blue tarp at least 10x10 for tent to whatever, stash of freeze dryed food and small camp stove , machete , extra pair of socks and gloves , head lamp . Roll of paper towels and butt ribbon .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zaleski

Zaleski

Aug 28, 2019
Ohio
Blue tarp at least 10x10 for tent to whatever, stash of freeze dryed food and small camp stove , machete , extra pair of socks and gloves , head lamp . Roll of paper towels and butt ribbon .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good call on the TP, that may just be the most important piece of kit there is...

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
My list is more for what tools to carry.

P500 - Tools

Looking at your list, consider dumping the gas can.
I have carried one but never needed it.
P500 is good for 70+ miles (that's about as long as my butt can handle the bench seat).

I am strongly considering a short bar high lift jack.
You can rig up a winch to flip it back on the wheels but the jack would be easier.
Also, the p500 tends to get hung up on ruts and roots.

Otherwise, list looks good.

advertisement
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey all, just purchased a P500 this week and going to be riding the Wayne national forest 50” trails in the coming weeks. I rode there a few times when I was younger, but was usually ill prepared due to lack of funds. This go round I may be doing some riding alone, so want to make sure I’m covering most bases in building a trail kit, here’s what I have listed so far

Comealong (no winch)
100’ of rope
Ratchet straps
Spare tire
12v cigarette plug air compressor
Tire plug kit
Small tool kit
Jump pack

Also debating the following:
Small gas can
Folding saw
Stuff to start a fire

So what am I missing?
A Trail Armor Skid Plate!!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
If you are good at Tetris you can fit 90% of the list in a Fat50 ammo can
I was decent at Tetris, but no way. You could get the stuff I carry in one, though.
Listening to some of you 1000 guys and spare parts, I think it'd be easier to just tow a second machine...

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was decent at Tetris, but no way. You could get the stuff I carry in one, though.
Listening to some of you 1000 guys and spare parts, I think it'd be easier to just tow a second machine...

i have a fat50 filled with (edit: REQUIRED) tools.(underseat)

Stored in the rear doors:
CO2kit
2 tie rods
Standard recovery gear.

don’t have to unload anything for normal use and the bed is completely empty carrying that. I rarely use any of this, but better to have it and not need it....

When we go ride all day, I do carry a full first aid kit,TP/Baby wipes, cooler, snacks, and food.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
i have a fat50 filled with tools.(underseat)

Stored in the rear doors:
CO2kit
2 tie rods
Standard recovery gear.

don’t have to unload anything for normal use and the bed is completely empty carrying that. I rarely use any of this, but better to have it and not need it....

When we go ride all day, I do carry a full first aid kit,TP/Baby wipes, cooler, snacks, and food.
Yeah...I don't think it was you specifically, but somebody was listing off spare axles, tie rods, ball joints, etc.
It's just funny how different people get different types of fun out of the same thing. If I had to carry all those spare parts due to breakage, I'd have to ask myself if I was really all that good at this off road thing.

Since the OP ask, I have:
Mechanics wire
Tire plugs/tool
Duct tape
Zip ties
1 screwdriver each
8, 10, 12, 17mm sockets/ratchet.
An old spark plug
"Emergency poncho"

I'd like to add a spare coil, and some type of spare fuel pump set up. And I really wish Honda would start using bolt-in crank position sensors...though I haven't heard of many failures.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohanacreek
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
~ If I had to carry all those spare parts due to breakage, I'd have to ask myself if I was really all that good at this off road thing.

Haha, that's a good DG Rider quote right there.
It has amazed me that some of those people are also the ones bagging on Popo for there reliability.

Thanks for posting up what you carry.
I tend to carry more tools than spares myself.
I guess I'm a little quicker to pull out the tow strap than lie in the mud (note: tow strap has low effectiveness when riding solo).
Or maybe I'm deluded and think the guys designing the vehicle knew what they were doing.

I did have a quick look at my list for riding gear.
I have a list for tools (link above), a list for the truck and trailer but no list for what goes in the SxS.
Started a riding gear list but all that's on it is rain gear.
Guess I still haven't adjusted to mid west riding.

advertisement