Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
So I'm clearing an acre of land.
I've cut 20-30 trees that are 4-6 inches diameter.
I cut them about 12" tall.
Now I am wondering how to get rid of the stumps.
I hate to stick my chainsaw in the dirt to cut them of at the ground.
I want to mow this area in the spring.

I know... When you guys are searching for solutions to difficult questions you think... "I'll ask a bunch of SxS enthusiast. They know everything.

Any suggestions?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So I'm clearing an acre of land.
I've cut 20-30 trees that are 4-6 inches diameter.
I cut them about 12" tall.
Now I am wondering how to get rid of the stumps.
I hate to stick my chainsaw in the dirt to cut them of at the ground.
I want to mow this area in the spring.

I know... When you guys are searching for solutions to difficult questions you think... "I'll ask a bunch of SxS enthusiast. They know everything.

Any suggestions?
A tractor with a bucket can get some of them in soft ground. May have to chain saw some roots. Rent a mini excavator. Or old school it with a mattock. Mattock and a chainsaw will work also. Just use an old chain.

advertisement
thashane

thashane

Lifetime Member
Oct 19, 2020
norCa
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Depending on species, and equipment availability, It's usually easier to remove the stump when the tree is still attached, for leverage. I recently rented the largest stump grinder i could, which was still underpowered for stumps over 2' diameter, but way better and lower than I can get with a chainsaw. It would rip through 4-6"stumps faster than you could walk it to them.
For 4-6" stumps, I would probably cut the roots with one ripper down on the box scraper, on several sides, then try to push it over with the bucket just below max lift.
A mini-ex 3 tons and above should rip those out no problem, with minimal digging.
But without knowing species and soil type, this is all based on my experience in a Sierra mixed conifer forest
Edit: photo

20201230 071608

Last edited: