P1000 Split windshield and dust

Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New 1000-5 owner and poster here, I ordered my new SXS with a hard roof and glass windshield, went for a 20 mile ride on a dirt logging road and the dust, and seat heat were almost unbearable. After some reading here on the forum, I removed the windshield and went for the same ride. What a difference, it was like a different machine. Not only were we not totally covered with dust, including the inside of the SXS, the seat heat was no where as bad.

So my question is, does the split windshield let enough air flow though to eliminated the dust problem? I'm kind of reluctant to shell out another $400 + for another windshield. I could leave the windshield off, but I know there will be times when we get caught in the rain and wished we had it.

If the split is the way to go, is it the Honda windshield? or I see that Superatv has a nice looking one too if anyone has tried one of those.

Thanks

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No, it does not eliminate the dust problem. Any windshield=dust and heat.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Helps some but not enough to buy one because you have bought the glass shield. To much $.the bug screen would work in the summer and you could use the glass one in the winter.

Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I would need to see one of those bug screens to determine if they're worth the money, they cost as much as a windshield and I don't think they would do much if you got caught in the rain. But thanks for the reply.

Reactions: dotman1
R

RJB

Mar 31, 2016
Durango, Colorado
I have spent a lot of money on accessories because of the dust problem. Here are my findings.
Glass windshield and soft rear panel: A ton of dust. A lot of it was coming in the top open portion of the soft rear panel
Glass windshield and hard rear panel: This cut down on the dust by about 30%.
I still wasn't satisfied so....
Glass windshield, hard rear panel and hard doors (yes, expensive! I sealed them well). cut the dust another 15%
Same as above but I sealed every possible hole around the seat and rear panel. cut dust another 10%
I still wasn't satisfied so I ordered the tilt out windshield. I'm about as dust free as it gets now. I'd say compared to the start I have cut out 95% of the dust! Putting on the tilt windshield cut the negative airflow affect of the cab with clean air keeping the dust out.
Recap: tilt windshield, hard doors (they have roll down windows!), hard rear panel, A LOT of sealing cracks and holes with foam, dynaliner and weatherstripping = almost a dust free ride!!!!!

T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
Which tilt out windshield do you have? How about a pic of your machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That was my question too, what windshield ? Thanks for that report RJB !

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The split windshield with the top tilted did nothing for the dust IMO. I only have a hard top, no side or rear/mid panels. One advantage is that I can easily remove the top portion and it cuts way down on dust. If you don't want to invest in a split windshield, you can always get a half screen. Still some rain protection and will still cut down on dust. Just a thought

Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad I didn't waste anymore money on windshields, and just an FYI for those thinking about the Superatv split windshield, I sent them an email asking about riding with it flipped up, they don't recommend riding with the windshield flipped up. To bad, I was hoping that might be a possibility, I guess it's no windshield for now. At least the glass windshield goes on and off easy with the clamps they use, so I can throw it back on if rain is possible. I gotta get me some goggles.

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad I didn't waste anymore money on windshields, and just an FYI for those thinking about the Superatv split windshield, I sent them an email asking about riding with it flipped up, they don't recommend riding with the windshield flipped up. To bad, I was hoping that might be a possibility, I guess it's no windshield for now. At least the glass windshield goes on and off easy with the clamps they use, so I can throw it back on if rain is possible. I gotta get me some goggles.
Daughter and I went for a ride in the rain couple weeks ago. I had shorts n T-shirt and she had her bathing suit on lol. We had a blast! (Til the lightning started popping close by).

advertisement
R

RJB

Mar 31, 2016
Durango, Colorado
For those who were asking which windshiled, I have the hardcoat two piece poly windshield by Honda. I like it so far. I forgot to add in my list that I have the full Honda roof on my rig. I had the glass windshield at first because I wanted the windshield wiper kit. If anyone wants a good price on the glass windshield with wiper PM me.
I will post some pics of my rig next week. I wish I had seen some pics of the hard doors before I ordered them but I like them too. They are heavy and substantial compared to the factory doors with fabric windows. With the By the way, my factory doors with fabric windows are for sale too, plus the fabric rear panel!

Reactions: Bartman
Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the info. Does Honda say anything about riding with the windshield open ?

R

RJB

Mar 31, 2016
Durango, Colorado
There were nothing in the instructions telling me it should be closed while driving. I have only driving with it tilted all the way open. It is a very solid clamping system. The center of it shakes just a bit on a rough road but it is not obnoxious.

Odd_Ball

Odd_Ball

Apr 6, 2016
Williams, CA
I have the 2 piece Honda windshield and the hard top and the dust was horrible with the whole windshield on or the bottom 1/3. Added the mid soft panel and running the bottom 1/3 and am getting absolutely no dust.

Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man this is getting confusing, results seem to differ. Lets say I get the Honda split windshield, run it tilted open, hard roof on, soft mid section in place and zipped closed, no upper doors, should this setup cut down on the dust ? And thanks to all that have commented.

R

RJB

Mar 31, 2016
Durango, Colorado
Man this is getting confusing, results seem to differ. Lets say I get the Honda split windshield, run it tilted open, hard roof on, soft mid section in place and zipped closed, no upper doors, should this setup cut down on the dust ? And thanks to all that have commented.
Yes, it is confusing because there are so many configurations that you can do. I boils down to the negative airflow that you get when you put any type of windshield on. Most of the negative airflow comes in through the rear and that is why everyone is saying how important it is to have a rear panel when you run any type of windshield. I believe with the configuration that you stated you would still get some dust but not quite as bad as if you had the hard rear panel. The soft mid section still has a fairly large gap between the roll bar and the hard top allowing dust in. I'm just not sure if the split windshield will let in enough breeze to totally cut the negative dust swirl you'll get but it'll be a TON better than a solid windshield or when the split windshield is in the closed position.

Odd_Ball

Odd_Ball

Apr 6, 2016
Williams, CA
I can test out the split windshield cracked open possibly tomorrow with the soft panel and let you know what it's like. It's interesting with only the bottom part and the panel it basically shoves all the air down right into the gap between the bed and front seat.

Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can test out the split windshield cracked open possibly tomorrow with the soft panel and let you know what it's like. It's interesting with only the bottom part and the panel it basically shoves all the air down right into the gap between the bed and front seat.

That would be great, keep us posted
Thanks

Odd_Ball

Odd_Ball

Apr 6, 2016
Williams, CA
Well cruising around on gravel road with the 2 piece windshield on and the soft mid panel and there is a tiny bit more dust compared to with just the bottom part of the windshield on. But about 100% better than with out the mid panel.

Also it's way warmer inside with the top half on. Personally would keep it off to the colder months.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
My conclusive finding on the dust issue is to ride on wet or paved roads problem solved, snow pack eliminates dust also. Kidding aside you just have to deal with the dust and listen to the wife tell you its dusty...Duh!!

Reactions: lee and sharp
advertisement