P1000 Sound dampening

P

panaman

Dec 21, 2021
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Curious if anyone has ever done anything like this to the roof. I think it will help with the noise. FYI this is the tusk aluminum roof but I don’t think it would matter what roof it is installed on.

84BD7000 AB41 4AE2 BFCE 9734D6F8174B DA035D74 BCFF 4200 AF33 393B1E8D71B3

Last edited:
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Curious if anyone has ever done anything lol ke this to the roof. I think it will help with the noise

View attachment 320362 View attachment 320363
I think I read somewhere on here where someone had (glued?) some kind of carpet to the under side of the OEM roof and it helped a bit. Can't remember who or what thread it was in though.....good luck. Keep us posted on results if ya try it out 👍

Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Curious if anyone has ever done anything lol ke this to the roof. I think it will help with the noise

View attachment 320362 View attachment 320363
This is a good idea, it will reduce noise bounce, heat/sunload reduction, and insulation from the cold. However, I went a different way using tractor interior material... Tractor Interior Upholstery LLC | Cab Kits | Tractor Headliners | Post Covers | Acoustical Foam I purchased the bulk material bulk cab foam: Bulk Cab Foam-3/4 Inch, watch the videos, they are very helpful AND the most important item is to use their spray adhesive, its just the best... don't waist time with other adhesives on the market: Spray Adhesive

I have looked high and low and found tractor interiors to be the thing needed most, it works for sound, insulation against heat and cold, and the adhesive is (from what I tried so far) the best on the market. All of this comes with a very descent price, give them a call, they are very helpful!

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I've spent a good bit of time on this subject. I wanted to glue foam padding to the underside of my roof and discussed it with a local auto upholsterer. He was willing to do it for me but warned that if the buggy was in the hot sun for long periods the glue usually melted and the foam padding would fall.

Thinking about the warning from the upholsterer and the weight of thick foam insulation I found a less expensive product similar to Dynamat which is sheets of sandwiched insulation with self-adhesive and installed it on the underside of my Honda roof. It reduces reflected noise and overall noise level in the cab but my cab is still noisier than I want. I bought two cans of the spray adhesive shown above and plan to use it on the rear wall of the cab with the seat back removed for access.

I also cut and fit the self-adhesive insulation to the entire cab floor under the Honda floor mat and around the seat base.

Here's a summary of what I have done so far and my thoughts on results:

My Tensor Regulator tires significantly reduced, almost eliminated , tire noise in the cab.

Lining the roof, floor, and seat base with self-adhering insulation panels has reduced, almost eliminated engine sounds in the cab.

What I hear now is gear noise from the sub-transmission and transmission (DCT).

My plan was to remove the seat back and glue thick foam or rubber insulation to the back wall of the cab

My reading and close-up vision is poor now in my old age so I try to avoid doing the millions of small and large "do-it-myself) projects I've done all my life.

I bought a big roll of 3/8" rubber insulation and two cans of the spray adhesive suggested by Lady01 above. My occasional yardman/handyman couldn't figure out how to remove the seat back so when I took my buggy to the dealer for the overdue 1800 mile service and a couple other chores I asked the service department to remove the seat back and cut and glue the rolled rubber sheet to the back wall of the cab.

They have done lots of accessory installation and are usually very helpful but this time the service manager refused. He had several real or imagined concerns and I was unable to persuade him. He apparently doesn't spend any time driving one of the noisy buggies and doesn't share my desire to reduce the noise level.

As an alternate plan I've asked the service writer to remove the seat back before I go to pick it up later this week. When I get the buggy back home I'll get my handyman to help and we'll cut the rubber into panels to fit the cab back. Several people have warned me that the adhesive will fail so I plan to wipe the cab wall down several times with paint thinner, spray the Lady01 adhesive on the cab wall, and carefully fit the rubber panels to the cab. I have several heavy duty hand held rollers to carefully roll the rubber tightly against the cab to ensure the adhesive adheres to the rubber sheets.

I'm not an acoustical engineer but from experience I know that if the rubber sheet is glued to the cab wall it will eliminate the rattle and "oil-canning" noise created by the engine and gear train.

I'll report the results when it's done.

If all this expense, effort, and frustration doesn't silence the cab I guess ear muffs is the only solution.

Last edited:
Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've spent a good bit of time on this subject. I wanted to glue foam padding to the underside of my roof and discussed it with a local auto upholsterer. He was willing to do it for me but warned that if the buggy was in the hot sun for long periods the glue usually melted and the foam padding would fall.

Thinking about the warning from the upholsterer and the weight of thick foam insulation I found a less expensive product similar to Dynamat which is sheets of sandwiched insulation with self-adhesive and installed it on the underside of my Honda roof. It reduces reflected noise and overall noise level in the cab but my cab is still noisier than I want. I bought two cans of the spray adhesive shown above and plan to use it on the rear wall of the cab with the seat back removed for access.

I also cut and fit the self-adhesive insulation to the entire cab floor under the Honda floor mat and around the seat base.

Here's a summary of what I have done so far and my thoughts on results:

My Tensor Regulator tires significantly reduced, almost eliminated , tire noise in the cab.

Lining the roof, floor, and seat base with self-adhering insulation panels has reduced, almost eliminated engine sounds in the cab.

What I hear now is gear noise from the sub-transmission and transmission (DCT).

My plan was to remove the seat back and glue thick foam or rubber insulation to the back wall of the cab

My reading and close-up vision is poor now in my old age so I try to avoid doing the millions of small and large "do-it-myself) projects I've done all my life.

I bought a big roll of 3/8" rubber insulation and two cans of the spray adhesive suggested by Lady01 above. My occasional yardman/handyman couldn't figure out how to remove the seat back so when I took my buggy to the dealer for the overdue 1800 mile service and a couple other chores I asked the service department to remove the seat back and cut and glue the rolled rubber sheet to the back wall of the cab.

They have done lots of accessory installation and are usually very helpful but this time the service manager refused He had several real or imagined concerns and I was unable to persuade him. He apparently doesn't spend any time driving one of the noisy buggies and doesn't share my desire to reduce the noise level.

As an alternate plan I've asked the service writer to remove the seat back before I go to pick it up later this week. When I get the buggy back home I'll get my handyman to help and we'll cut the rubber into panels to fit the cab back. Several people have warned me that the adhesive will fail so I plan to wipe the cab wall down several times with paint thinner, spray the Lady01 adhesive on the cab wall, and carefully fit the rubber panels to the cab. I have several heavy duty hand held rollers to carefully roll the rubber tightly against the cab to ensure the adhesive adheres to the rubber sheets.

I'm not an acoustical engineer but from experience I know that if the rubber sheet is glued to the cab wall it will eliminate the rattle and "oil-canning" noise created by the engine and gear train.

I'll report the results when it's done.

If all this expense, effort, and frustration doesn't silence the cab I guess ear muffs is the only solution.
Nice work! I agree making sure everything is cleaned, and honestly PG107 adhesive is the best I have found, I am sure there are other adhesives available that I may not be aware of (however, its been my experience that the adhesives found in most auto/building supply stores are not hardy enough to hold up to the blasting summer heat and below 0 temps) but PG107 has really worked well. I too have (tractor interior and tractor flooring) insulated/lined my P1K3 (hard back/roof/seat pedestal/floor) and the heat, noise and the instense temps are negligable, not gone but drastically reduced!

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Nice work! I agree making sure everything is cleaned, and honestly PG107 adhesive is the best I have found, I am sure there are other adhesives available that I may not be aware of (however, its been my experience that the adhesives found in most auto/building supply stores are not hardy enough to hold up to the blasting summer heat and below 0 temps) but PG107 has really worked well. I too have (tractor interior and tractor flooring) insulated/lined my P1K3 (hard back/roof/seat pedestal/floor) and the heat, noise and the instense temps are negligable, not gone but drastically reduced!

Lady01,

I learned about the spray adhesive from the link you pm'd me but I missed the insulation material you linked in this post. I should have bought the material you mention but I've already got the material now and will try using it.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I'm really curious about this. Thank you for posting up what you are doing for noise mitigation. I'm working through the same issues on my P520. Once the top and windshield were added, it got noisy fast.

Rob

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Someone could create a lucrative sideline business if he/she had the capability to purchase and cut panels to fit the roof, floor, under seat area, and, back wall of the cab for the various Honda 1000, 700, and 520/500, Can-Am, and Polaris models.

I would have cheerfully handed over my credit card to purchase a kit to fit.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Earmuffs hang around my neck easy enough when not needed but are easy to talk through.
I JtPHbqV XL

Ear plugs when helmeted, also easy enough to talk through. Ear plugs need to be pushed into the ear canal or they aren't very effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
advertisement
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I can't disagree with earmuffs. I've been using them for every ride. Earmuffs are, without question, the cheapest and easiest solution to the problem but a quieter cab sure would be nice.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Someone could create a lucrative sideline business if he/she had the capability to purchase and cut panels to fit the roof, floor, under seat area, and, back wall of the cab for the various Honda 1000, 700, and 520/500, Can-Am, and Polaris models.

I would have cheerfully handed over my credit card to purchase a kit to fit.

🤦‍♂️ Someone has for all those machines. Anything for the underside of the roof would require adhesive and puts a lot of responsibility on the installer. If they're willing to go through that mess, cutting a panel would be the easy part.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Who? Where?
Here ya go, Mr. Barlow -

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
This is automotive sound insulation:

and this:

There are others as well.

If Dynamat or the Iowa company making insulation kits for John Deere and other tractor made a kit for Pioneer 1000s I would be first in line to buy one.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
This is automotive sound insulation:

and this:

There are others as well.

If Dynamat or the Iowa company making insulation kits for John Deere and other tractor made a kit for Pioneer 1000s I would be first in line to buy one.

One is upholstery and the other is meant to be concealed... I tried.

Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
One is upholstery and the other is meant to be concealed... I tried.
Nice, the tractor interior is NOT merely upholstery, it is insulated dense foam designed for heavy equipment/farm tractors, with a nice fairly atractive surface layer; it is used to reduce outside noise as well as internal cab reverbration AND insulation from the heat(sun)/cold. I have had mine installed using their adhesive in negative degree michigan weather, michigan summer sun (and once an excersion to sunny Cantonment (Pensacola area) Florida going on three years now, it's glued to the Honda hard roof, Honda hard rear wall (2019 P1k-3) the seat pedestal and I've used their flooring on the floorboard. Honestly works really well.

Last edited:
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry, that's not what I'm looking for.
It does make a huge difference. Even my homemade version gave me the biggest gain in noise and heat reduction. Everything else was a waste of time and materials. Most of my noise came from below the seat. I wasn't trying to stop the noise so much as the heat but found they go hand in hand.

advertisement