P1000 So here's my dilemma

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The mountains of western North Carolina is almost impossible to predict the weather. You check the weather at 1 o'clock it shows 50% rain. Check it at 3 o'clock and it's sunny skies. Check it at five shows 80% rain. In short, nobody has a clue it's going to rain or not.

The biggest problem I had with my Massimo was putting the cover over it every night and then taking it off every morning because I do so much work around the property I drive it daily.

It's getting to be a thorn in my behind. And Murphy's Law if I skip it, it will pour rain and I have a soaking wet vehicle. I do not have a garage or carport.

So when I ordered the 1000 EPS I specifically wanted a complete enclosure for only ONE reason, so that it would be rainproof. And I wouldn't have to take that cover on and off every night. Maybe once in a blue moon I will drive around in the rain but I doubt it.

At the same time, I don't like driving around in an enclosed vehicle because it's just not as fun and it gets hot and it gets noisy and it just doesn't feel like you're driving anything in a fun UTV but an SUV. My favorite position is the windshield on (protection branches and dust) and always the hardtop on, but no rear panel or doors or 1/2 doors ok too.

If you're doing a lot of continuous work like driving a few feet and throwing pine straw and then driving a few feet and throwing pine stare, opening and closing the door is a pain in the butt!

But I have also learned that a branch in the thigh is not a great feeling. In short, 1/2 doors or not I'm OK with.

Now the rear fabric enclosure is fairly simple to put up. Not as simple as I would like because there are too many straps but I can deal with that.

The main issue is the stupid fabric half windows with aluminum frames that the Honda website said was very easily removable. That is a bold face lie.

I envisioned in my head taking that off in the morning and using it all day and then at night time all I had to do was snap on my half windows without having to put an entire cover from front to back. I am by myself and getting that cover on is never as easy as it seems and it takes several mins to do and is just a pain.

Now that I see that removing the fabric windows is not easy as the website claims but you need to remove bolts and a mounting plate and blah blah I am now stuck with the worse of two evils!

I started to take the pins out of the doors when it occurred to me that undoing 4 bolts, each side was easier then removing the pins.

So what this all comes down to without having a garage, is how to weatherproof my vehicle every night and the simplest way to achieve it.

Bolt-unbolting the doors every day and night is not an option and thus far, that is the fastest solution that I can come up with versus the other ways.

What I truly need is some kind of a system or modification where I can just pull a pin or something and remove the doors with the windows and put back on at night.

I did not like the fabric windows at all. Aluminum frames are not really tight at the top and it's kind of a junkie system in my opinion. I would've much preferred simple snaps or clips all away around for the rear fabric panel instead of straps and I think having this aluminum frame for the half windows is just way too much and I can already envision several other ways to do it much simpler.

If you don't use the Velcro piece at the top of the aluminum frame it bounces around and moves in and out. Plus every time you get in and out you have to undo that strap at the top and now it takes two things to do to get out the door. Worse, they didn't put any kind of an extra piece on top of the Velcro so that you can grab it and pull it off. It rolls around the top of the bar father in then the fingers can reach so you have to take your finger under it at the start and kind of roll your finger up to separate it. That's way too much work for me just to exit the vehicle. Truth be told. It's a dumb dumb system.

So be it as it May, has anyone come up with any kind of a system or modification to make removing the doors and or the fabric windows a very very very simple manuever?

If the covers didn't have elastic at the bottom it would be so much easier to put on and off!

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Spend $500 on a sheet metal carport and be done with it. Would have cost less than the window rear enclosure half as on and off method you subject yourself to now. You wanna play you gotta pay.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Spend $500 on a sheet metal carport and be done with it. Would have cost less than the window rear enclosure half as on and off method you subject yourself to now. You wanna play you gotta pay.

If it were only that simple. I guess it could be if I got just a small one for only that, but I need to get a bigger one for both my vehicles as well and it's quite expensive for me at this point.

If no one has run into this problem before, I am creative, I will come up with something to where I only have to pull one big long pin and the whole thing will come out.

But figured I would try here first before I start my trial and error method :)

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I leave mine out a lot during hunting season because no shed at hunt camp. I just have a soft top and windshield it stays pretty dry. Get some metal roofing sheets and build a simple shed. I did that at my house by myself in two days off and on working. Shoot man i don't live to far i'd come stay a few days and help you out if you don't have help.

Reactions: joeymt33
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If it were only that simple. I guess it could be if I got just a small one for only that, but I need to get a bigger one for both my vehicles as well and it's quite expensive for me at this point.

If no one has run into this problem before, I am creative, I will come up with something to where I only have to pull one big long pin and the whole thing will come out.

But figured I would try here first before I start my trial and error method :)

go buy some 2x4s and some metal roofing. you could drive a 2x4 into the ground as a post, and then screw 2x4s making a box leaving one side completely open. (2 side wall, back wall, and roof) making it 8 foot deep would save you any more would cost you and any less would just be losing SQ ft without saving any money at all.

making it twelve foot wide or 8 foot wide would be cost efficient as well, and a 12ft 2x4 costs around.... what like 10 bucks a piece? 3 rungs per wall, would be:
5 2x4 8 ft(post)= $20
6 2x4 8ft (wall rung)= $24
3 2x4 12 ft(back wall rung)=$30ish?
one box of regular screws would be around ten bucks. the roofing cost will get you, but that is reusable after the wood rots so think of that as a long standing investment over a flimsy store bought shed.

we did this for a client at one of the farms we do work for. although we did not roof it over, it would have only took an hour longer. theres no reason to overbuild the thing either, we built it to withstand alaskas winds here in palmer, and called it a day. more than wide enough to park 3 cars in for probably around 500 dollars. not treated lumber, but would last at least 10 years before you had to zip the metal off and replace the wood frame for a hundred bucks.

id throw that cover in the trash. i hate covers. i think they are stupid. but i had my ranger for a year and it lived outside. in winter i brushed the snow off the seat and went riding. when it was raining, i put a jacket on and went riding, and when it was sunny a little dust didnt hurt me too bad. these rigs see far worse than a little rain from sitting outside.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I leave mine out a lot during hunting season because no shed at hunt camp. I just have a soft top and windshield it stays pretty dry. Get some metal roofing sheets and build a simple shed. I did that at my house by myself in two days off and on working. Shoot man i don't live to far i'd come stay a few days and help you out if you don't have help.

Careful.. May take you up on that! There's more than enough bear and wild hogs out here make it worth your trip! LOL.

My wife is sick and I care for her full time. Hard to get out the house sometimes and leave her to do any project.

But yes, have a shed I built and its in the works to build a simple lean too off the side and park. Problem is I have two of them now! Both won't fit..

So best to just build a huge carport and get all my vehicles covered plus trailer plus 2 UTV.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
go buy some 2x4s and some metal roofing. you could drive a 2x4 into the ground as a post, and then screw 2x4s making a box leaving one side completely open. (2 side wall, back wall, and roof) making it 8 foot deep would save you any more would cost you and any less would just be losing SQ ft without saving any money at all.

making it twelve foot wide or 8 foot wide would be cost efficient as well, and a 12ft 2x4 costs around.... what like 10 bucks a piece? 3 rungs per wall, would be:
5 2x4 8 ft(post)= $20
one box of regular screws would be around ten bucks. the roofing cost will get you, but that is reusable after the wood rots so think of that as a long standing investment over a flimsy store bought shed.

we did this for a client at one of the farms we do work for. although we did not roof it over, it would have only took an hour longer. theres no reason to overbuild the thing either, we built it to withstand alaskas winds here in palmer, and called it a day. more than wide enough to park 3 cars in for probably around 500 dollars. not treated lumber, but would last at least 10 years before you had to zip the metal off and replace the wood frame for a hundred bucks.

id throw that cover in the trash. i hate covers. i think they are stupid. but i had my ranger for a year and it lived outside. in winter i brushed the snow off the seat and went riding. when it was raining, i put a jacket on and went riding, and when it was sunny a little dust didnt hurt me too bad. these rigs see far worse than a little rain from sitting outside.

I'm like you, I don't need to overbuild the thing. But unfortunately because I want to get my vehicles under shelter before the winter hits and snow piles up on them, I do want a much larger one to fit everything. In that case the 2 x 4's just arent going to work It has to be so high.

This is the mountains and things are just different out here. I have rocks the size of cars everywhere and I have very very limited space to build anything!

Even my storage shed only had one possible location and it had to be built very small because it was surrounded by boulders! I can only come off 6 foot with a lean too roof before I hit the next big boulder! So I can only pick one to go there.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sure wish

5 2x4 8 ft(post)= $20

I WISH had the type personality that I could just leave it out in the rain and snow. It's just not who I am. It's a major investment and I like to keep it is high and dry as possible :)

But I am curious whether or not this thing, including the dash and electronics, is completely waterproof? Think you could just take a hose and spray everything out and be in good shape?? Make me feel better about leaving it out in the rain.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Sure wish

I WISH had the type personality that I could just leave it out in the rain and snow. It's just not who I am. It's a major investment and I like to keep it is high and dry as possible :)

But I am curious whether or not this thing, including the dash and electronics, is completely waterproof? Think you could just take a hose and spray everything out and be in good shape?? Make me feel better about leaving it out in the rain.

I can promise you. It's all weatherproof. We HAVE to cross 3 rivers at our cabin to get anywhere. The rivers are sometimes over the dash. I haven't brought the honda yet, but the polaris and yamahaa are totally weatherproof. I don't think it's possible a sxs could not be weatherproof. I'd totally trust it in the rain, that's about the easiest thing it's going to get from me!

Throw that lousy tarp cover away! f*** just lag a roof between two boulders.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
LMAO! Keep going, just keep going, u are gradually talking me into it :)

Up to the dash? Come on, really? You're driving that thing half submerged?

Reactions: dotman1
advertisement
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
LMAO! Keep going, just keep going, u are gradually talking me into it :)

Up to the dash? Come on, really? You're driving that thing half submerged?
Yeah dude. Snorkel up to the roof. They are made for it. There's videos of people driving the thing nearly fully submerged only thing visible are their heads and top of roof.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What about the axles, do they get water in it? Are you changing the fluids after you submerse it? And I just can't believe that none of the electrical connections arent shorting out. I've looked under the hood and they are a long ways from being waterproof when there's water that high up, these things don't short out?

Please give me a reason not to do this, as I am already googling a snorkel kit and I am in the mountains where the deepest water that I cross is 6" thru a creek..

Hopes and dream is all I have for water crossing! Of course, coming from someone who doesn't want the rain to hit it...

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just can't visualize it in my head. Those videos are amazing. But Doesn't the starter get full of water and burn out the windings? Doesn't the alternator burn out now? I just don't see how that can happen without causing damage?

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just can't visualize it in my head. Those videos are amazing. But Doesn't the starter get full of water and burn out the windings? Doesn't the alternator burn out now? I just don't see how that can happen without causing damage?
It's all good dude. You run your breather tubes up to the roof so there is no way for water to get into diffs. Alternator I believe is internal to the engine. 12v can't ground out in water and No distributor cap. Idk about the starter, but I don't think water would hurt it. Never heard of that being issue.

I would snorkle even if you don't plan on needing it. One day you might just be in a few inches of a river, and hit a pothole and down you go. Check with your dealer about warranty. Mine doesn't care. Some do though I guess.

I'm snorkle to the roof for all my vents, but I haven't done my air intake yet. Not sure which direction I want to go. Thinking about cutting and going through the hood.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I learned a long time ago don't worry too much about your toys like atv SxS jeeps. Every new 4x4 I've even bought was off road within the first few days. They always seem to mess up when you baby them and worry. Always looking for this or that issue just messes all the joy up. My pioneer is probably in the top 10 of most abused pioneers trust me they're tough and you have nothing to worry about least of all rain. Enjoy that pioneer and give her hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: K3L and ohanacreek
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I learned a long time ago don't worry too much about your toys like atv SxS jeeps. Every new 4x4 I've even bought was off road within the first few days. They always seem to mess up when you baby them and worry. Always looking for this or that issue just messes all the joy up. My pioneer is probably in the top 10 of most abused pioneers trust me they're tough and you have nothing to worry about least of all rain. Enjoy that pioneer and give her hell.

Well what can I say, that's just not my style :)

I really care for everything that I own. No, I don't wash my UTV and my Massimo is six months old with mud caked up everywhere. The floorboards are filthy and there is dust covering everything. But there's something about water and being wet that gets to me..

It's not dirt, it's just water. Water is always an enemy and always will be. Things get damp, things get moldy, things get stagnant, things get saturated, things get rusty, things get corrosion. Condensation builds up behind the dash. Guess you can tell, I m not a fan of water :) LOL

Seen too many things sit up outside and turn into a huge pile of junk being left outside exposed to the weather. May not be an issue now, but 10 years from now it will be a noticeable difference :)

Last edited:
Reactions: scott
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It's all good dude. You run your breather tubes up to the roof so there is no way for water to get into diffs. Alternator I believe is internal to the engine. 12v can't ground out in water and No distributor cap. Idk about the starter, but I don't think water would hurt it. Never heard of that being issue.

I would snorkle even if you don't plan on needing it. One day you might just be in a few inches of a river, and hit a pothole and down you go. Check with your dealer about warranty. Mine doesn't care. Some do though I guess.

I'm snorkle to the roof for all my vents, but I haven't done my air intake yet. Not sure which direction I want to go. Thinking about cutting and going through the hood.

Don't know how I missed this before, but you live in freaking Alaska? Oh yeah, you are definitely putting your machine through much more rigorous trials and tribulation than we are for sure!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Scott, you're near the top of that list for abused vehicles.

Sent from my iPad 7G