P1000 Smooth ride Advise please

B

Bobjones

Feb 12, 2017
North
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Need a good riding 1000-5. Not interested in air time. I have a screwed up back and need to be easy on it. Are Fox shocks meant for racing or are for all around smoother ride? Would they be much better than stock shocks on ordinary trail riding? I know they come with the LE model put at a price. I was thinking just upgrading the stock shocks if it would be worth it. Experience and Advice needed.
Thanks for any ideas and advice, Bobjones

Reactions: CumminsPusher
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Need a good riding 1000-5. Not interested in air time. I have a screwed up back and need to be easy on it. Are Fox shocks meant for racing or are for all around smoother ride? Would they be much better than stock shocks on ordinary trail riding? I know they come with the LE model put at a price. I was thinking just upgrading the stock shocks if it would be worth it. Experience and Advice needed.

For regular trail riding the normal shocks ride pretty darn good. You start pushing the speed the fronts will bottom, but overall very happy with the ride quality after 1300 miles in it.

Reactions: Bryce and Bobjones
B

Bobjones

Feb 12, 2017
North
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
For regular trail riding the normal shocks ride pretty darn good. You start pushing the speed the fronts will bottom, but overall very happy with the ride quality after 1300 miles in it.
Thanks

Reactions: joeymt33
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Have you rode the pioneer yet? It's the smoothest rig I've rode in that wasn't pure sport. The can am Maverick x3 is probably the best in the business.

Adjustable shocks won't be any smoother. They can get harder so you can race. For the average trailblazer they are unnecessary, though some people have said the front shocks are a little too squishy. I have no negative opinion.

Suspension travel is ultimately what makes ride smoother. The pioneer beats

Polaris ranger. Yamaha Viking. All the John Deere. Kawasaki. All the utility rigs, these ARE the best riding rigs.

Also, try mounting smoother tires, and airing them down to like 6 or 7 psi. Get them squishy. It WILL and DOES help.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I put black diamond STI tires on mine and they do a lot better smoother ride

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Regular cruising it's not bad overall I'd say. Aftermarket shocks will make a difference so will dropping your air pressures a bit. Skinnier tires bring in less shock. Stay away from any heavier ply tires and any weight you add will further help. Coinsider a gel car seat pad to take a little extra out. The seating position is pretty upright in the Pioneer which should actually help imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I have elka shocks - they provide a smoother ride at the same speed as stock shocks. Depends how they adjusted. When you hit a bump its not as hard a hit now - the better shock takes more of the blow. I have not tried the Fox shocks but expect they would be similar.
Tires also smoothed out my ride - at least when the psi is low.

Reactions: CumminsPusher