P1000 Smoke coming out of tailpipe

J

JohnyRingo

Apr 3, 2015
I just got a new P1000-5 and noticed while I test drove it that it was smoking out of the tailpipe and it smelled like something burning. The smoke continued to come out of the tailpipe for some time after I shut it off. I discounted it as the new wearing off of it and breaking it in. I smelled it again when I got it home. I got it when there was 5 miles on it and now I have 14 miles on it. Is this normal. I don't remember my 2007 Polaris Ranger smelling like this when it was new.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm guessing you're ok and you were correct in your first assumption that it was "new" burning off. It is normal for new machines to have that smell, even just putting on a new exhaust can cause that smell.

The smoke is a little concerning, is it still smoking and smelling? If it has quit doing all this I'd forget about it and ride but if it persists much longer you may consider looking into it. I just can't say for sure without smelling the smell and seeing the smoke! But definitely normal to smell when new.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Mine smoked bad all over the exhuast pipe the first time I got on it hard. I'm guessing it was oil used on the pipe to keep it from corroding or something. It went away after a few hours as did the smells of it burning off.

Reactions: Tflynn
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Keep checking your oil make sure it's full and not to full. The smell should go away after you ride it more it took around 80 miles for mine to go away.

Reactions: Tflynn