P1000 smell

orange1000

orange1000

Jul 27, 2016
missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-3
First post here bear with me. I have round 230 miles on mine here lately i have noticed a bit of a exhaust leak after its gets warmed up. Also kinda of a rotten egg kinda smell hard to explain the smell. It only does the smell after a long road ride. 20-30 mph. Not running hard at all. It runs fine and has no check engine lights or anything. Kinda thought maybe batter was overcharging at high rpms but i checked with voltmeter seems to be right where its needs to be. Anybody else has this problem?

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club. First check and make sure nothing is touching the exhaust pipe that shouldn't be. If not It could be still burning the new off. Other that that I don't know. Give it a day or so on the forum and you will have the problem solved, there a lot of very knowledgable people on here. You will appreciate the power of the forum!

Reactions: joeymt33
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
First post here bear with me. I have round 230 miles on mine here lately i have noticed a bit of a exhaust leak after its gets warmed up. Also kinda of a rotten egg kinda smell hard to explain the smell. It only does the smell after a long road ride. 20-30 mph. Not running hard at all. It runs fine and has no check engine lights or anything. Kinda thought maybe batter was overcharging at high rpms but i checked with voltmeter seems to be right where its needs to be. Anybody else has this problem?

I too have noticed the rotten egg/sulfur smell. (Like a catalytic convertor)

I noticed mine when I raised the bed and lifted the mud guard to check the oil. Only done it once and it was pretty much gone right after I smelled it.

I have no clue why though. Just wanted you to know you weren't the only one.

Reactions: dotman1
orange1000

orange1000

Jul 27, 2016
missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I too have noticed the rotten egg/sulfur smell. (Like a catalytic convertor)

I noticed mine when I raised the bed and lifted the mud guard to check the oil. Only done it once and it was pretty much gone right after I smelled it.

I have no clue why though. Just wanted you to know you weren't the only one.
Thank god. Yea i noticed mine just a few weeks ago. It wasnt the first time ive rode it for a extended period time at higher rpm either. But it seems to be the only time i smell it or if im running hard round the yard i smell it to

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thank god. Yea i noticed mine just a few weeks ago. It wasnt the first time ive rode it for a extended period time at higher rpm either. But it seems to be the only time i smell it or if im running hard round the yard i smell it to
They should for the first little bit but sure don't remember it with that kind of miles. Any chance at muddy conditions? Anything like that? Look over your exhaust just to be sure. I'm pretty sure my new smell was long gone before a 100 clicks.

orange1000

orange1000

Jul 27, 2016
missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They should for the first little bit but sure don't remember it with that kind of miles. Any chance at muddy conditions? Anything like that? Look over your exhaust just to be sure. I'm pretty sure my new smell was long gone before a 100 clicks.
Yea i had the new smell wear off. Like he said above more of a sulfur rotten egg smell but goes away pretty quick after shut off

M

Mountie

Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2016
West By God....
The only time I've experienced a Sulfur/Rotten Egg Smell has been due to a battery issue. Might be worth a shot to pop off the front next time you get that smell to check. I doubt this is the issue, but worth a shot.

Reactions: sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I notice that smell when driving (truck) on the highway going up a steep grade. I'm usually behind a Toyota vehicle, they seem to have that smell when the engine is working hard.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I notice that smell when driving (truck) on the highway going up a steep grade. I'm usually behind a Toyota vehicle, they seem to have that smell when the engine is working hard.
Totally off topic but last time I drove my zr2 to scottsboro, on the way back coming to skyline I got behind a Toyota 4wd Tacoma (older model). Noticed on his windshield a "Chevy recovery vehicle" decal. When we got to that long steep hill, he started slowing down and spewing out that rotten egg smell. I floored the 4.3 and blew around him so fast I thought it'd pull the paint off his truck. Wife was smiling cause she knew what was going on. She said this is one Chevy he won't recover. I really love that woman lol