P1000 Slipping in 4wd?

M

Maf1909

Mar 25, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My dad's 2021 P1000 has had an issue where it slips in 4wd if going up hill or in mud. Like a mechanical clicking noise. The dealer has had it a couple of times and can't repeat the issue and has no idea why it would do it. We sent them a video of the sound but it didn't help them.

It sounds like it's right below front floor. Amy ideas in what they should look at? He's planning to go to the dealer and drive it to try to get it to happen with them in it, but they pretty much only have a flat parking lot to drive in so it probably won't happen there.

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
Heinecke2

Heinecke2

Nov 15, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you dropped the skid plate to see what's down there? I would find the nearest tree in which the thing so it's sitting almost vertical and take the skid plate off. See if anything is resting against the drive shaft at that angle

M

Maf1909

Mar 25, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you dropped the skid plate to see what's down there? I would find the nearest tree in which the thing so it's sitting almost vertical and take the skid plate off. See if anything is resting against the drive shaft at that angle
I haven't, but I'll mention it to him.

Heinecke2

Heinecke2

Nov 15, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's been a few months since I've had mine off but the last I remember it's just two coolant lines, a harness and a drive shaft running under the floor in the center

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When you say "slipping" are you meaning there's an interruption in power delivery to the wheels? Engine revving? Is the dash 4WD indicator showing the drive mode correctly?

M

Maf1909

Mar 25, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When you say "slipping" are you meaning there's an interruption in power delivery to the wheels? Engine revving? Is the dash 4WD indicator showing the drive mode correctly?
The dash shows fine, nothing out of the ordinary except the noise. If it's losing power to the wheels it's only the front wheels, it didn't seem like it was coming out of gear or anything.

This thread seemed to have the same issue (I found it after posting this), but the dealer said all the cables and things are within spec. They said they'd set it a bit tighter and we'll try it out some more.

Reactions: Lady01
M

Maf1909

Mar 25, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If handy with tools, there are good directions for adjusting the cables yourself. Given the number of P1000's delivered with misadjusted cables (mine was), checking them yourself is not a bad idea.

Cable Adjustment
It's a farm machine, so needless to say we're very handy with tools. Eventually I'll get a service manual for it. It's still under warranty, so it's better to let them work on it when possible.

Reactions: Hawk53 and Lady01
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Actually, if it is in your rear diff adjustment, the procedure in that video is better than the method your dealer will follow in the service manual.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Beleive there is a separate cable adjustment for the front diff when in 4wd from the rear, most just need to adj the rear which takes only a few mins and believe the front doesnt take long either which it sounds like it might be what you need. Personally i wouldn’t take it to a dealer for the adj as they wouldn’t be a warranty item to adj, if you just got it i’m sure they’ll do it for free, if you’ve had it 6 months doubt it.

Might be good though to have the dealer look it over as it could be something else amd is under` warranty, they may not be able to replicate though without a hill to climb.

advertisement
H

Hondaman67

Nov 16, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine sometimes rattles under front floorboard when going up hill under load. It's done it since new and I believe it's the front driveshaft rattling. It's got over 5000 miles on it now and no problems