P500 Skid time

Razorback

Razorback

Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2015
Van Buren, AR
Ownership

1. Talon X
Time to start looking into skids. What's everybody like?

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
That's next on my list as well. From when I had a p1000, the general consensus was that the UHMW material was "better" for SxS use. Reviews say it is less noisy when hitting something, it slides easier over rocks than aluminum, and offers better protection overall.
I think it's more expensive but I'm not sure by how much. I haven't done much research lately.

I'm stuck between ordering my own material and making my own skids or just purchasing the skids. Once I recoup my fun money account from Christmas I will start looking into this again.

Reactions: Razorback
R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
@educ8tedguess guess is right on par. And MOST of the people on here will tell you to purchase your own material and DIY...I am too much of a perfectionist on that type of stuff and knew I would have a whole more $$$ involved if I did it myself...so I ended up purchasing mine. I went with the UHMW skids and aluminum A-arm guards. Really pleased with the set so far.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Haven't had a problem with my factory skids but I've only bottomed out a couple of times. I'm sure I'll replace them at some point and I'm leaning towards the Honda aluminum. Can't believe the kind of money they're wanting for plastic of any grade.

Reactions: rocmar and lee
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Haven't had a problem with my factory skids but I've only bottomed out a couple of times. I'm sure I'll replace them at some point and I'm leaning towards the Honda aluminum. Can't believe the kind of money they're wanting for plastic of any grade.
I'm with you on the price of things. Of all the machines I've owned, I really only wished I had the plastic skids on my pioneer 1000 due to the weight and amount of surface area available to destroy... With the small wheel base on the p500, I'm wondering if I would be better off with aluminum skids as insurance and save the extra money for something else... Or just save it.

J

JTW

Just my .02.. I went with the aluminum S&S skids on the PK5 granted it has a lot more belly. But if I were doing it over. I’d go UHMW... not because it’s stronger (it’s not), not because it’s quieter (very little difference), not because it slides better (you’ll never have an issue with the aluminum sliding!).. but because of the deformation when you use the aluminum skids. The UHMW goes back to original flat surface whereas my aluminum looks like I’ve abused the s*** out of it.. even thought it’s only had 2 “hard” rides in its life. Now.. price was one of the reasons I went with aluminum but if I were doing it over (especially on the small belly of the 500) I’d order a 4x8 sheet of UHMW (apx $400) and do it myself! The stuff is stupid easy to work with! The price is ridiculous for plastic but it is good s***!

R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah...I am one of the idiots who spent the money! :)

IMG 1889 1 IMG 2042

T

Twitch

May 6, 2016
In the backyard
I went the uhmw route and did it myself. Had our materials guy at work order my sheet. Went with 1/4" thick. It came in 4'x10' and think I gave like $130ish for the sheet. Had enough to do a one piece skid plate and roof. Still have enough that I could make some A arm gourds but I still haven't gotten around to that.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Do not get the aluminum skids because when it's freezing out and you stick your tongue on them you look like that kid from Christmas Story.

advertisement
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took @Alan 's advice and went with the SSS Off-road skids in smooth back plastic and never regretted the price tag purchase. I'm no skilled. I cannot even make a board grow back into a tree either. But those plates were a godsend on some of the more rougher trails I did this year in Colorado Utah Wyoming Idaho And Washington. There were moments when me bottom would've been blasted had it not been for the UHMW.

UHMW--
Under Her Magic Wheels
Udders Hurt My Whipping-stick
Ultimate Howard Myron Whibble
Udvar Hammerspleen Mowathunga Whopsplats

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've only bottomed mine out a couple of times also:rolleyes:, HA!

Reactions: R-Lamm and trigger
Razorback

Razorback

Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2015
Van Buren, AR
Ownership

1. Talon X
I went the uhmw route and did it myself. Had our materials guy at work order my sheet. Went with 1/4" thick. It came in 4'x10' and think I gave like $130ish for the sheet. Had enough to do a one piece skid plate and roof. Still have enough that I could make some A arm gourds but I still haven't gotten around to that.
Do you remember what company you ordered from?

Reactions: MSmillie
Razorback

Razorback

Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2015
Van Buren, AR
Ownership

1. Talon X
Naw, sure don't. Our company hired a new materials guy and he shops around. Doubt he'did even remember but I'm pretty sure on that price.
Ok. I'll search and see what I can find. Everyone seem to think 1/4" is good to use, or need to be thicker?

T

Twitch

May 6, 2016
In the backyard
The 1/4" on mine is holding up fine. A lot better than the factory skids. The first time I got high centered with them on, it left a piece hanging down.
I bought the 1/4" for the roof(don't need any thicker for that) and just happen to have enough for the skid. Made the one piece to come out under the floor boards. Got tired of it sounding like I was gonna have a stick in my lap, every time I ran over stuff.

Reactions: Razorback
L

larry991wc

Dec 7, 2017
Rogers AR
Ownership

1. 500
Mines 1/2 inch and serves me well.
Hi Smitty
I live in NWA and have a pioneer 500. I am new to the forum (purchased the 550 one month ago) and have been reading about the diy skid plates out of UHMW. I am going to attempt this but do you have a source or any tips that might help get this done? Thanks in advance.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hi Smitty
I live in NWA and have a pioneer 500. I am new to the forum (purchased the 550 one month ago) and have been reading about the diy skid plates out of UHMW. I am going to attempt this but do you have a source or any tips that might help get this done? Thanks in advance.
No I really don't but I think the P 500 is a pretty simple lay out. I would use cardboard for a template and use it for the pattern. I would get 1/2 thick, that way you can cut recesses for the fasteners to make the bottom of the skid plate smooth. And Welcome! When it warms up we meet at Mulberry Mtn and ride. Keep an eye on SW region at the very bottom on forums and I'll try to post dates or better yet PM me your phone #

Reactions: Razorback and JTW
advertisement