what is the best skid plate for the 1000 that covers entire bottom of machine

Reactions: sharp
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2017 pioneer 3 person and I just finished installing a factory utv skid plate and it covers the entire bottom and the price was great. it comes in 3 pieces and easy to install.

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2017 pioneer 3 person and I just finished installing a factory utv skid plate and it covers the entire bottom and the price was great. it comes in 3 pieces and easy to install.
I just got done putting trail armour on, really Like it! I've heard that their customer service is great.
I just put trail armour on, lm very pleased with fit and coverage.

20170708 144911

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
forgot to say I went with the factory utv 3/8 skid plate

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
I went with ricochet. I've been pretty happy with them. And like how they install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JTW

Do you want aluminum or UHMW? I went with the aluminum S&S fabrication.... if I had it to do over I would go with trail aromor 1/2".. aluminum is stronger.. but anything you hit, leaves a lasting mark!

Reactions: zin01
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you want aluminum or UHMW? I went with the aluminum S&S fabrication.... if I had it to do over I would go with trail aromor 1/2".. aluminum is stronger.. but anything you hit, leaves a lasting mark!

I agree with your new assessment, I don’t know that aluminum is stronger than 1/2” uhmw though. Either way, uhmw is what I would (and am) running.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
½" UHMW, is tried and heavily tested by some of the less "machine friendly" riders of the forum.

I would like to see an Alum/UHMW hybrid tested on the same trails for a weekend. Just for comparisons sake.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
this is hopefully my next upgrade as well. Planning to do UHMW. After having it on my RZR, im sold. the stuff works great. Was planning on going with trail armor unless something else comes up thats better price/ quality

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
what is the best skid plate for the 1000 that covers entire bottom of machine
I bought trail armor 1/2" thick UHMW full skids, been very happy with them. They way the pieces are cut makes for an easy install. That being said, after 1200 miles I have had the side pieces get ripped off in very extreme rock climbing. The Factory UTV version was not available when I bought mine in Dec. 2016. Having had the FUTV brand before and seeing how they attach (One big solid piece) I would recommend and will buy these for my next P1K.

Honda Pioneer 1000 Ultimate Half Inch UHMW Skid Plate Kit

Reactions: LaVell and JTW
advertisement
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the FUTV plate but it lacks protection at the front of the frame behind the lower control arm and I would prefer the front lip of the rock slider portion be taller as well for more footwell protection.

J

JTW

I agree with your new assessment, I don’t know that aluminum is stronger than 1/2” uhmw though. Either way, uhmw is what I would (and am) running.

Comparing 5/16 aluminum to 1/2 inch UHMW the aluminum is stronger even with the UHMW being almost twice the thickness. Back when I was looking I had the specifics... the issue I find now is in the properties of each. I would be willing to give up a little initial strength for the UHMW keeping its shape. I also question how strong the aluminum is after repeaded deformation. If you continue to bend a piece of metal it eventually breaks.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Comparing 5/16 aluminum to 1/2 inch UHMW the aluminum is stronger even with the UHMW being almost twice the thickness. Back when I was looking I had the specifics... the issue I find now is in the properties of each. I would be willing to give up a little initial strength for the UHMW keeping its shape. I also question how strong the aluminum is after repeaded deformation. If you continue to bend a piece of metal it eventually breaks.
Aluminum has a low fatigue strength. While it's light, strong and corrosion resistant, it'll eventually crack after flexing repeatedly. If it were my machine, I'd go with UHMW without looking back.

Reactions: JTW

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Aluminum has a low fatigue strength. While it's light, strong and corrosion resistant, it'll eventually crack after flexing repeatedly. If it were my machine, I'd go with UHMW without looking back.
(Which is pretty much what you just said lol!)

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I’ve had the Rival skid plates for a few years and have beat them up pretty good and should be dented and bent but They have ben great only see some scratches. They also had front “stick” guards built into them. They came with front and rear arm guards as well. I pd 675$ for the set.

58E45568 AA23 4640 932C 49294DCA7A90

J

JTW

I’ve had the Rival skid plates for a few years and have beat them up pretty good and should be dented and bent but They have ben great only see some scratches. They also had front “stick” guards built into them. They came with front and rear arm guards as well. I pd 675$ for the set.

View attachment 70791
I learned the hard way... an aluminum skid plate is like an aluminum boat. It HAS to have those raised ridges for ridgity. If it’s just a flat sheet then you’re going to deform the plate

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I learned the hard way... an aluminum skid plate is like an aluminum boat. It HAS to have those raised ridges for ridgity. If it’s just a flat sheet then you’re going to deform the plate
you are correct. just like when I'm making sheet metal for a furnace, can't be flat got to have bends and rises for stability. probably why i went with the aluminum. its ben real good for me. I've hit some spots real hard and all i have is scratches. there are some rocks on Drummond island that really pound the underbelly. nevertheless, I'm impressed at how well its held up. if it was thiner and bent easily it would have gotten week and break by now. Everyone has there preference tho! its all in what you want:)

advertisement