P1000 Silver Lake State Park

Donnie

Donnie

Dec 18, 2015
SW Missouri
Hey guys,

The wife and daughter want to go to the beach this summer and I was thinking of combining the trip so we could take the Toyhauler and Pioneer somewhere. Saw a blurb on Destination Polaris about Sand Lake in Michigan. Anyone here have any experience with it? It only has 3 bikes on Riderplanet. If not there, anyone have any other suggestions where we could ride to the beach from the camper? I've heard of Pismo Beach but really didn't want to go that far (live in Missouri). I've got experience riding a the dunes in Glamis and Little Sahara in OK so I know what to expect in that regard.

Thanks in advance!

C

Calhoun

Apr 14, 2016
Michigan
Spent a lot of time there when I was in my twenties. It's a lot fun, was up there a few years ago and the weekends are crazy busy. Long waits to get in. During the week is the time to go. Some really fun hills to climb. I always took my truck there, but tons of sxs there now. Not sure if they let you anymore but you could access the lake and chill out on the beach when your there. Also be careful if you ride a couple days in a row. The dunes change every day! Really crazy how much the sand drifts like snow there.

Donnie

Donnie

Dec 18, 2015
SW Missouri
Spent a lot of time there when I was in my twenties. It's a lot fun, was up there a few years ago and the weekends are crazy busy. Long waits to get in. During the week is the time to go. Some really fun hills to climb. I always took my truck there, but tons of sxs there now. Not sure if they let you anymore but you could access the lake and chill out on the beach when your there. Also be careful if you ride a couple days in a row. The dunes change every day! Really crazy how much the sand drifts like snow there.
Is the water pretty warm in late July?

Thanks!

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
Silver lake sand dunes are an awesome place to ride, and yes, you can ride right to the beach of Lake Michigan.
Like @Calhoun said it is easier to go during the week as they have a staging process on the weekends. Took my 700 there last year and had a blast, but could not make it up some of the taller dunes. It would shift into 3rd about 3/4 the way up and fall flat on its face. Guess it wasn't made for dune shredding.
Go to their web site and check them out.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Hey guys,

The wife and daughter want to go to the beach this summer and I was thinking of combining the trip so we could take the Toyhauler and Pioneer somewhere. Saw a blurb on Destination Polaris about Sand Lake in Michigan. Anyone here have any experience with it? It only has 3 bikes on Riderplanet. If not there, anyone have any other suggestions where we could ride to the beach from the camper? I've heard of Pismo Beach but really didn't want to go that far (live in Missouri). I've got experience riding a the dunes in Glamis and Little Sahara in OK so I know what to expect in that regard.

Thanks in advance!

If you ever get the chance go to Winchester Bay, Oregon. It has 54 miles of oceanfront beach you can ride on extending up into wooded areas, you can play in the spry, ride in the sand, ramp over big dunes or trail ride in the woods all going straight from your campsites. I know it is a hike but it is a heck of a place, just do not go during dunefest as they easily exceed 50,000 people at that event.

More info on the area: Oregon Dunes - Winchester Bay Sand Dune Guide

Area Maps: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5259370.pdf

Last edited: