P500 Should I be concerned? UPDATE!!

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just got looking at my machine and making sure things were ok for a ride this weekend and came across this. Not dripping on the skid plate or anything but it looks like there's quite a bit of oil around it and on the engine. Front kinda looks the same but not as bad. Thoughts or suggestions?

IMG 0150

Reactions: sharp and Eltobgi
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just got looking at my machine and making sure things were ok for a ride this weekend and came across this. Not dripping on the skid plate or anything but it looks like there's quite a bit of oil around it and on the engine. Front kinda looks the same but not as bad. Thoughts or suggestions?

View attachment 45928
Somethings a miss, ride easy and take a look inside, my just be seals

Reactions: sharp and Little_g
SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
Weird thing with mine...the rear had a small line of oil from the shaft down for a few rides...then stopped!! Not sure why and told one of my friends (who works at an ATV shop as a mechanic) who saw the original leak, and said it couldn't stop...don't know what to tell ya but mine did-LOL Mine wasn't that bad though

Reactions: Little_g
Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
If your still under warranty I'd have the dealer check it out. If not I'd just keep an eye on it until it gets worse or goes away.

Reactions: Little_g
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Weird thing with mine...the rear had a small line of oil from the shaft down for a few rides...then stopped!! Not sure why and told one of my friends (who works at an ATV shop as a mechanic) who saw the original leak, and said it couldn't stop...don't know what to tell ya but mine did-LOL Mine wasn't that bad though
Maybe the oil level got low, diffs don't hold a lot of oil

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oil level is fine. This is coming from the back of the engine to the drive shaft. Talked with my cousin who is a Honda fan just like the rest of us and said to take it in & said more then likely a seal. The front shaft looks the exact same way. Its still under warranty so I'm gonna let them deal with it. Just kinda bummed because I was looking forward to riding it this weekend. Good thing I've got my 07 Rancher to back me up lol. Not pissed and its just a s*** happens thing right?! This spot on the rear end keeps Re-appearing. I know for sure that should not be happening. Will see what they say tomorrow. Appreciate everyones feedback. Will keep you updated!

IMG 0152

View attachment 45945

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp and Eltobgi
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

View attachment 45928
Make sure there's no vent lines stopped up.

advertisement
Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
All loaded up. 4 hours of work then off she goes!

View attachment 45956
Very nice rig. Your Aluma trailer, I have the same one and love it, mine is the 6310 (5' x 10'). So much lighter than steel, I can lift the tongue with one finger and they are so much easier to move around by hand. For hauling 2 machines up to my mountain cabin, I also have an 18 ft. Aluma, they are more expensive but so worth it.

Reactions: sharp and Little_g
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Very nice rig. Your Aluma trailer, I have the same one and love it, mine is the 6310 (5' x 10'). So much lighter than steel, I can lift the tongue with one finger and they are so much easier to move around by hand. For hauling 2 machines up to my mountain cabin, I also have an 18 ft. Aluma, they are more expensive but so worth it.
I actually borrowed this trailer from a friend. Definitely gonna get one though. There is nothing to the trailer at all. Nice and light pulls so easy. Way easier then loading the damn machine in the back of the truck.

Reactions: sharp and Arizona
Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I actually borrowed this trailer from a friend. Definitely gonna get one though. There is nothing to the trailer at all. Nice and light pulls so easy. Way easier then loading the damn machine in the back of the truck.
Thanks for the reply. Tip if you do get that Aluma trailer... In the back of the trailer there is a license plate mount with LED plate light but it's low and close to the ground, putting the plate there makes it that when you pick up the trailer to move around, the plate will scrape the ground. Or when driving with the trailer off road, it doesn't take much of a dip for the rear to scrape the ground and bend the plate. I told my Aluma dealer about the rear plate location problem and he told me here in AZ you can get a smaller ATV size plate but you have to ask for it, but that was after I had my full size plate. In your state if you can get a smaller ATV size plate, then that would help. I ended up putting my plate sideways on the left fender and extended the wires for a new LED light over the plate. I never liked the idea of loading in back of a truck, would get old real fast and a bit dangerous using ramps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Little_g and sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I had skids welded to the back corners of my trailer, works great!

Reactions: Arizona
H

HondaTech

Very well could be the seal, ive had a couple atvs do that. But it could also be the grease Honda uses ro assemble these at the factory. Once it gets warm it runs everywhere, and once grease or oil gets on aluminum engines, you could wash it a hundred times and stuff still sticks where ever the oil was.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Very well could be the seal, ive had a couple atvs do that. But it could also be the grease Honda uses ro assemble these at the factory. Once it gets warm it runs everywhere, and once grease or oil gets on aluminum engines, you could wash it a hundred times and stuff still sticks where ever the oil was.
Maybe that's all it is but it's at the shop getting looked at now. I know my old one never did this. Hopefully nothing but getting it checked out just in case. Should hear something from them today hopefully.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Called to check up on my machine today and they said that they took pictures and sent them to Honda to see if warranty will cover it. They said that it has to be leaking so much in order for them to do anything. The tech was gone gone today of course. They sent them out yesterday and they are suppose to get back to me tomorrow. So hopefully good news

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Got it back last Friday and they said that this is normal and to keep an eye on it. They said that it is noted with Honda just in case it keeps happening but they don't wanna see it back until there is a puddle on the skid plate. Just kinda weird because it never happened with my old one. Better to have it checked out I guess. Went for a 40 mile ride last night and still looks pretty clean. Will see how it goes. Thanks for all the advice!!

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I know it looks bad but if it never drips I wouldn't worry about it. Be sure to check the fluid inside from time to time to be sure water is not getting inside. As far as the dealer saying if no puddles its not leaking reminds me of when I worked on john deere equipment years ago. JD had a specification for what constitutes a leak. It had to drip a certain number of times in 1 minute or it wasn't leaking.

advertisement