P1000 Shifter lock

D

DDDonkey

Hello all,

I am looking for a way to secure my buggy from stick fingers. I know that I can put a kill switch in it or an alarm but my concern it that some one can shift it to neutral and just push it away. I know that other brands have aftermarket shift locks you can get but has any one made or seen one for the p1000? I would like to find a way to lock the shifter into park nightly when I park it whether at home or camping. Anyone have any ideas?

I did add the parking brake but would really like a way to lock the shifter without hacking up the buggy. Thanks for the help and any ideas.

Reactions: BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have some ideas for a shifter lock. But before you get carried away realize you're only as safe as the thief is dumb. You can lock the shifter and in 30 seconds I can lift the bed, cut the cable, and put it in neutral. You may be better off running a cable through one set of wheels and locking it that way. I often think to myself "if they destroy half the s*** on my machine in the process of them trying to steal it. I won't want it anyway" If they want it bad enough they're going to get it. I just pull the key out and walk away. It would suck if its stolen, but other things would suck worse.

J

JTW

I have some ideas for a shifter lock. But before you get carried away realize you're only as safe as the thief is dumb. You can lock the shifter and in 30 seconds I can lift the bed, cut the cable, and put it in neutral. You may be better off running a cable through one set of wheels and locking it that way. I often think to myself "if they destroy half the s*** on my machine in the process of them trying to steal it. I won't want it anyway" If they want it bad enough they're going to get it. I just pull the key out and walk away. It would suck if its stolen, but other things would suck worse.
Exactly.. it doesn’t take much to do a $1000 worth of damage.

Reactions: Remington and BWAF
D

DDDonkey

Yes I do have insurance, my wife is more worried that someone with roll it out of a parking spot if we stop to eat or something. I was just looking for something easy, I know that if they want it they will get it.

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
I thought about a shift lock too until i went to the next progression my mind and thought about the shift cable. So far the only think i have come up with is 20' of security cable and the best pad lock i can find. i run it through wheels, frame, roll cage, other machines... you get the point. I know no matter what i do a thief can un do it so i just try to not be the weakest gazelle in the pack so to speak.

other options i have thought about
-parking brake lock similar to "the spring brake thingy", defeated by cracking the bleeder loose and the machine rolls again.
-shifter lock, defeated by loosening the cable at the transmission and a set of vise grips and away they go.
-removable steering wheel, but you can still move the machine just more of a pain in the a$$
-kill switch, fuses etc., but the machine still moves and chances are they are going to push it or roll it away from camp.

-pad lock through brake caliper, Assuming you can fit one in there this has promise however its hard to see and will damage the machine before anyone notices its there.
-cable through various points in the vehicle and other vehicles, defeated by battery operated grinder or lock picking

anyone else have any ideas?

Reactions: BWAF and JTW
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought about a shift lock too until i went to the next progression my mind and thought about the shift cable. So far the only think i have come up with is 20' of security cable and the best pad lock i can find. i run it through wheels, frame, roll cage, other machines... you get the point. I know no matter what i do a thief can un do it so i just try to not be the weakest gazelle in the pack so to speak.

-parking brake lock similar to "the spring brake thingy", defeated by cracking the bleeder loose and the machine rolls again.
-shifter lock, defeated by loosening the cable at the transmission and a set of vise grips and away they go.
-removable steering wheel, but you can still move the machine just more of a pain in the a$$
-kill switch, fuses etc., but the machine still moves and chances are they are going to push it or roll it away from camp.

-pad lock through brake caliper, Assuming you can fit one in there this has promise however its hard to see and will damage the machine before anyone notices its there.
-cable through various points in the vehicle and other vehicles, defeated by battery operated grinder or lock picking

Motion alarm and carry a 45. Alarm goes off, go out and shoot the POS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

DDDonkey

The kill switch is going to be next, I will get a solenoid and hook it to the starter with a momentary switch to start it. Maybe if I look hard enough I can find a lock to put on the parking brake so people can’t just roll it away. And about the .45 I have that covered. Thanks for the ideas everyone, keep them coming!

Reactions: BWAF
J

JTW

You could just take your fire extinguisher out of a night...

Or

838269CC F240 4A55 B9C1 7647E5E813BA

Reactions: BWAF and BeerMonkey
advertisement