P1000 Shift problems

S

Sunrider

May 20, 2016
Arizona/Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My Pioneer 1000 would automatically shift down to first gear no matter what shift mode I was in. It would not up shift in auto , sport , or manual mode. This always happened after riding 8 to 10 miles. Some times if I let it set for half hour or more it might shift normal for a few miles, but usually I had to drive back in first gear. At this failure the EPS light would come , the odometer would not record miles travelled ,the speedometer did not show miles per hour and sometimes the check engine light would come on.
Honda worked on it for almost 3 months. Honda checked all grounds and wire connections numerous times. During this time it was returned to me on 4 occassions because Honda couldn't find a problem. I usually returned it within a few days because it failed on the next ride. Same problem
Diagnostic codes 67-1 and 11-1 were showing as the problem. These were checked numerous times and always checked as OK. Honda checked all grounds and connections numerous times. Cleaned the speed sensors, replaced the wiring harness then replaced all speed sensors. The pins on the computer were checked to make sure there weren't any bent pins.
Finally the PGM-FI computer was replaced. Problem solved, I've put 350 miles on it , running great now.
Hope this information helps someone.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My Pioneer 1000 would automatically shift down to first gear no matter what shift mode I was in. It would not up shift in auto , sport , or manual mode. This always happened after riding 8 to 10 miles. Some times if I let it set for half hour or more it might shift normal for a few miles, but usually I had to drive back in first gear. At this failure the EPS light would come , the odometer would not record miles travelled ,the speedometer did not show miles per hour and sometimes the check engine light would come on.
Honda worked on it for almost 3 months. Honda checked all grounds and wire connections numerous times. During this time it was returned to me on 4 occassions because Honda couldn't find a problem. I usually returned it within a few days because it failed on the next ride. Same problem
Diagnostic codes 67-1 and 11-1 were showing as the problem. These were checked numerous times and always checked as OK. Honda checked all grounds and connections numerous times. Cleaned the speed sensors, replaced the wiring harness then replaced all speed sensors. The pins on the computer were checked to make sure there weren't any bent pins.
Finally the PGM-FI computer was replaced. Problem solved, I've put 350 miles on it , running great now.
Sucks that it took so long for them to figure it out, but I'm glad they did.

88dunerider

Feb 26, 2018
oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Did your machine ever shut down at all? I have 40 miles on mine and it just started to have an issue. starts up but the min I put it into gear manly from 1st to second it shuts down or if it shifts down from second to first it just shuts down. throw it into park and starts up and same issue over again.

Reactions: Lady01
MMW

MMW

Sep 5, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

My P1000 is showing the exact same symptoms. I took it to the dealership and they replaced the front speed sensor. I brought it home and the problem is still there. I took it back yesterday. I have sent your post to the dealership in the hopes they can use the information to fix mine. Thanks for taking the time to post the information you did.

JakeNasty

JakeNasty

Jun 19, 2019
Tucson
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm having the same issues. After about an hour eps light then speedometer reading zero and it won't shift. The dealership is telling me there is nothing wrong and they can't do anything about it. Have you had any problems again ? Mine seems to happen when its hot outside

JakeNasty

JakeNasty

Jun 19, 2019
Tucson
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe it is heat related. I installed a bilge fan to blow back towards the motor and I also did my best to wrap heat shield around the outside of the box that the pcm fi is in. I only took it out once since I made those modifications and it did not have any problems. I also heat checked the pcm and it was 30 degrees cooler than what it was getting but I cannot say for sure that I fixed the problem but it was good the last time I drove it.

D

dook

Aug 24, 2020
montana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for your reply Jakenasty. I had already installed an underhood fan and had the shift problem since then so I tried insulating the PSM from the engine with some foil backed adhesive foam rubber. I took it on a 30 mile trip today and it shifted flawlessly. So with fingers crossed I will assume the problem is solved!

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I experienced the same symptoms just the other day. Was travelling through sandy bush trails in hilly terrain pulling a tub trailer loaded with camping gear. It did this 3 times in a 28km run. I disconnected the battery each time and left disconnected for about 5 minutes and then continued on. I had another 50km of sand road to travel after that but it was a straight open road with less aggressive hills. It never acted up at all on the 50km stretch. Thinking heat induced problem.

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
D

dook

Aug 24, 2020
montana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It's not just a matter of keeping the engine and transmission cool. You have to keep the transmission module cool too. The previous owner of my P1K had installed a heater under the drivers seat and it heated up the module. The problem was not solved until I put in a bypass valve and extra heater hose to redirect the flow. Next winter I will probably have the same problem unless I do away with the under-seat heater and put in an under the dash heater.

advertisement
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It's not just a matter of keeping the engine and transmission cool. You have to keep the transmission module cool too. The previous owner of my P1K had installed a heater under the drivers seat and it heated up the module. The problem was not solved until I put in a bypass valve and extra heater hose to redirect the flow. Next winter I will probably have the same problem unless I do away with the under-seat heater and put in an under the dash heater.
Thanks. I have a factory heater in my 2016. Have never had a problem in the winter. In fact I have only had the problem twice in the 5 years I have had the machine. Both times travelling the same area towing app. 1000 lbs @ an ambient temp of about 21C.

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
J

jmtorres7

Jun 27, 2021
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe it is heat related. I installed a bilge fan to blow back towards the motor and I also did my best to wrap heat shield around the outside of the box that the pcm fi is in. I only took it out once since I made those modifications and it did not have any problems. I also heat checked the pcm and it was 30 degrees cooler than what it was getting but I cannot say for sure that I fixed the problem but it was good the last time I drove
I believe it is heat related. I installed a bilge fan to blow back towards the motor and I also did my best to wrap heat shield around the outside of the box that the pcm fi is in. I only took it out once since I made those modifications and it did not have any problems. I also heat checked the pcm and it was 30 degrees cooler than what it was getting but I cannot say for sure that I fixed the problem but it was good the last time I drove it.
Hey JakeNasty, did you ever figure out what was causing this issue with your machine?

D

dwolfe18

Jul 18, 2021
poca wv
Ownership

1. 1000-5
anyone reverse jump then grap? its done it sine it had 500 miles on it it currently has 2087 miles now. just looking for a way to fix it and not have to go to the dealer.