HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I bought a 2020 Talon X 2 seater in June 2020 and only kept it a few months. It was a great machine. Mush faster acceleration and higher top speed but as you said, not for me. I like the Pioneer 1000. It's a better fit for me.

Last edited:
I

Ingfam

Apr 13, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Me and my wife have been thinking about selling the Pioneer and getting a Talon. The only reason is the pioneer is just a rough ride. I have ridden in a Talon and it's much smoother. I'm very torn because the Pioneer works so well for hunting. Will changing the shocks make my Pioneer ride better?

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Me and my wife have been thinking about selling the Pioneer and getting a Talon. The only reason is the pioneer is just a rough ride. I have ridden in a Talon and it's much smoother. I'm very torn because the Pioneer works so well for hunting. Will changing the shocks make my Pioneer ride better?
Uhhhhhhhhh yeah! Lol
New shocks= completely different machine ;)

advertisement
I

Ingfam

Apr 13, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Remington, What would you recommend? I love the Pioneer it dose everything I ask of it. But when me and my wife go for a 100 mile ride in the rocky mountains you can tell it beats you up pretty good.

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Perception is everything. I went from a P500 to a P1000, and I couldn't get over how much smoother the 1000 was!

I

Ingfam

Apr 13, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Perception is everything. I went from a P500 to a P1000, and I couldn't get over how much smoother the 1000 was!
you are spot on. I went from a 2008 Honda Forman 500 to a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5. So I will look into changing the shocks/springs and stop whining. I think the 814 trails look like a place to start.
Thanks

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
Wow, I’ve never been in a Pioneer, but if it rides harder than a Talon X it must be bad. My Talon X had the stiffest suspension of any SXS I’ve ever been in!

Bobrhino

Bobrhino

Sep 19, 2018
Arizona & Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Own 2 P1000’s currently and had a third P5 2016 early on. Considered a Talon. Pioneer has a few features that are better for our use. Open rear dif and available cargo room mainly.

Have only recently updated my 2017 P1000-5 deluxe with new Honda LE P5 Fox Shox QS-3 set of 4, getting rid of the crap OEM shocks. Honda of Russellville recently was running a special. My neighbor bought a set too. My son has had a set for sometime.

Yes it makes a big difference, the price point was worth it. The exception is the rears are still harsh in smaller bumps. As I explored the problem, I find the rear spring top 5 wire coils are within 1/16” of being coil bound. I have 50 miles on these, they aren’t even settled in. My Pioneer sets in static with maybe 100 pounds of accessories including the OEM roof. My son’s rear springs are totally “coil bound“, “mashed” or “blocked“ at tops coils, though it has a bit of weight on it. Seems that Honda specs these springs with rear progressive top coils in a near coil bind state (mashing as Fox tells me). The front progressive springs seem appropriate with upto 3/16”+ spacing. My rear spring # FOX 033 08 030-2 is the heaviest of 3 spring rates FOX showing reference to these Honda Fox sets. The number 030 equates to 187-350# spring, so I’m told.
Honda went the cheaper route on these upgraded FOX SHOX using progressive springs instead of a dual spring set up. Perhaps I’ll convert these to a dual spring set when my 1st rebuild is needed. Unfortunately these shocks must me completely disassembled to convert.
Something to think about when research shopping! If anyone can comment on these FOX SHOX springs please do so.
FYI, we are older folks and typically drive slow to moderate. 🤣

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
the live valve rides nice, especially in the big stuff. I spent some time behind the wheel of my buddy's before we bought ours. The LV also it eliminates all body roll and front end diving if you hit the brakes hard.
That’s a much needed improvement then! My non-live valve Talon X was terrible from the factory. $1500 to Shock Therapy helped immensely, but it’s tough to overcome poor geometry. Glad to hear the live valve really addressed the issue!
Own 2 P1000’s currently and had a third P5 2016 early on. Considered a Talon. Pioneer has a few features that are better for our use. Open rear dif and available cargo room mainly.

Have only recently updated my 2017 P1000-5 deluxe with new Honda LE P5 Fox Shox QS-3 set of 4, getting rid of the crap OEM shocks. Honda of Russellville recently was running a special. My neighbor bought a set too. My son has had a set for sometime.

Yes it makes a big difference, the price point was worth it. The exception is the rears are still harsh in smaller bumps. As I explored the problem, I find the rear spring top 5 wire coils are within 1/16” of being coil bound. I have 50 miles on these, they aren’t even settled in. My Pioneer sets in static with maybe 100 pounds of accessories including the OEM roof. My son’s rear springs are totally “coil bound“, “mashed” or “blocked“ at tops coils, though it has a bit of weight on it. Seems that Honda specs these springs with rear progressive top coils in a near coil bind state (mashing as Fox tells me). The front progressive springs seem appropriate with upto 3/16”+ spacing. My rear spring # FOX 033 08 030-2 is the heaviest of 3 spring rates FOX showing reference to these Honda Fox sets. The number 030 equates to 187-350# spring, so I’m told.
Honda went the cheaper route on these upgraded FOX SHOX using progressive springs instead of a dual spring set up. Perhaps I’ll convert these to a dual spring set when my 1st rebuild is needed. Unfortunately these shocks must me completely disassembled to convert.
Something to think about when research shopping! If anyone can comment on these FOX SHOX springs please do so.
I don’t know how much truth there is to it, but when I asked my Honda dealership owner friend about why the tender springs on my Talon were coil bound, he said they had done a seminar/training with Fox and were told the smashed springs were for spring extension control, not compression. Go figure, I don’t know. Based on how friggin stiff the Talon suspension is, I think it would have been better to use that space for less harshness!

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Just replace the spring, big difference there as well. I went with 250lb in front and 300lb in rear and the ride is amazing.

Bobrhino

Bobrhino

Sep 19, 2018
Arizona & Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just replace the spring, big difference there as well. I went with 250lb in front and 300lb in rear and the ride is amazing.
If I understand you correctly, you have Honda LE model QS3 shocks and removed the OEM progressive wound springs and replaced the rears with straight wound 300# springs? And are they 3” diameter x 15” long or did you go with longer than stock spring?
Thank you for your response to this problem.

advertisement