P500 Seatbelt stuck

K

KPM

Nov 25, 2021
Prairieville LA
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone know any tricks to freeing up a seatbelt. It’s rusted or something and locked up. Anyway to take the cover off? I was able to free the passenger but not the driver side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smitty335
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
KPM- when you say the seatbelt is stuck- I am assuming you mean the lap/shoulder belt retractor is not moving? How old is your machine? Has it sat out in the rain and weather a lot that cause the retractor mechanism to rust quickly and badly?

Per Waggin Tail and Red suggest, you could spray a anti-squeak/rust breaker penetrating fluid down into the retractor, let it set for a few hours, then try to move it to free the mechanism up.

The belt assembly is removable- I have mine off right now with 4-point harness in place. I plan to take the harness out and put the seatbelts back in for more ease of use. Not sure if the retractor assembly can be taken apart or not. I know older car/truck seatbelt retractors had a removable cover that would allow you to see the entire assembly. If you don't get anywhere with yours, I'll try and get to mine in the barn and take a look for you.

K

KPM

Nov 25, 2021
Prairieville LA
Ownership

1. 500
It’s a 2015 p500 and I bought it a year ago. The mechanism is locked up. I tried to strategically shoot kriol into it with no luck. Was hoping someone knew something about those plastic covers. If I could figure out how to get them off I thought I could work the rolled up belt back and forth at the source to see what’s locked up and hopefully break it loose. I simply sprayed the passenger side and grabbed the belt and rocked it and it came loose with a few pulls. Not so much on the drivers side.

Reactions: Backwoods
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
kroil/etc. and time……..corrosion will break free

I also had them where a small pebble must have gotten inside, kroil, flush with water best you can and more kroil, soak and time - all came loose.

I did take one off one day letretract fully, basically wound itself tight, was never able to put back together once apart😂. Tie a knot or add a clamp so is does not happen to ya if you take apart….

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
OK, I had a few minutes to dig my seatbelts off the shelf. Not sure if Honda changed the design from 2015 to 2018, but mine are held together with T-15 torx head screws.
IMG 19721 IMG 19731
The 2 by the retractor mounting bolt allow the plastic cover over the belt to be flipped up:
IMG 19751

The side cover comes off with 2 more to expose the inertia mechanism:
IMG 19761
I did not take the inertia mech. apart to expose the 4 screws under it, but I think those would get you access to the spring and barrel that the belt is on.

Maybe @HondaTech can answer if there is a difference in the 2015 and 2018 belt assemblies.

IMG 19721 IMG 19731 IMG 19751 IMG 19761

Last edited:
K

KPM

Nov 25, 2021
Prairieville LA
Ownership

1. 500
Whoa big thanks for that info. I’m gonna tinker around the next time I have a minute. I don’t recall seeing this torx heads but it may be there. I really appreciate it! -kpm

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
No problem KPM. Glad to help on stuff that I am capable of doing.

Now, can someone from the site tell me why my pictures posted 3 times in my post?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No problem KPM. Glad to help on stuff that I am capable of doing.

Now, can someone from the site tell me why my pictures posted 3 times in my post?
Did you happen to edit the post? I’ve noticed that if I edit a post with pics attached to it that duplicates get dropped on some times. Also not inserting the pic attachments have caused that for me before too

advertisement
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
KPM- Great to hear you got it! Always great when you are working on something stubborn and you find the problem- fix it and then instant gratification!

Jeremie- yes I did have to edit the post (missed an entire word on the re-read). Is there a way to correct it? If I do an edit and delete the extras, as soon as I save the post it puts the extra pictures back in.

Last edited:
Reactions: NTCPrezJB
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
KPM- Great to hear you got it! Always great when you are working on something stubborn and you find the problem- fit it and then instant gratification!

Jeremie- yes I did have to edit the post (missed and entire word on the re-read). Is there a way to correct it? If I do an edit and delete the extras, as soon as I save the post it puts the extra pictures back in.
It’s been a while. I think I deleted all the pics from the post and saved it and ended up with single copies but I haven’t done it in months.