Talon Rugged Radio Mounting

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
I just received a Rugged Radio kit with their Talon mounting plate. It’s obvious the radio/intercom are too deep to fit in the cubby hole to be utilized so the back of the cubby hole will have to be cut out. However, on the back side of the cubby hole there is a molded support coming from behind the instrument cluster and attaching to the cubby hole housing. Sure doesn’t look like something I want to take a jig saw too! Of course the mounting bracket, as well as the rest of the kit came without any instructions whatsoever, so it leaves me wondering how to deal with the cubby hole and the bracket behind it! Anyone have a clue?

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
I can not answer your question on the cubby hole other than I drilled a additional hole in the backside of it to run additional wires for switches.
I have the Rugged Radio and intercom system installed in my Talon. But I installed it overhead. I wanted to keep it high so when I wash out the interior the radio will not be effected by the water and to be able to run the head phones cables overhead and behind me so they drop down out of the way.
From the pics you can see I ran the cables through a 3/4" metal tube that is secured to the roof and roll bar. I also added a 3/4" tube to the front as a added hand hold and to give support to the radio and support for the roof also.
Just trying to give you more options, because as you add accessories you will need the cubby hole for the switches...DRK

20190722 190608

W

WCLaubner

Oct 27, 2019
Prescott AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I can not answer your question on the cubby hole other than I drilled a additional hole in the backside of it to run additional wires for switches.
I have the Rugged Radio and intercom system installed in my Talon. But I installed it overhead. I wanted to keep it high so when I wash out the interior the radio will not be effected by the water and to be able to run the head phones cables overhead and behind me so they drop down out of the way.
From the pics you can see I ran the cables through a 3/4" metal tube that is secured to the roof and roll bar. I also added a 3/4" tube to the front as a added hand hold and to give support to the radio and support for the roof also.
Just trying to give you more options, because as you add accessories you will need the cubby hole for the switches...DRK

View attachment 163182
Can you post a brighter picture of your radio mount

Reactions: lowranger
D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
I will try and take some better pics and post them as soon as I can... DRK

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
I will try and take some better pics and post them as soon as I can... DRK
That would be awesome because I’m really interested in options. I like the clean look of dash mount, but not thrilled about butchering the cubby or loosing the ability to use that space for switchgear. I’m also worried about protecting the radios from water exposure both from the front and the rear.

Reactions: lowranger
nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R
That would be awesome because I’m really interested in options. I like the clean look of dash mount, but not thrilled about butchering the cubby or loosing the ability to use that space for switchgear. I’m also worried about protecting the radios from water exposure both from the front and the rear.

This is how I installed my radio and intercom...

RAY 8128 Edit

Waterproof 2-way radio mounted under the dash, centered under the steering wheel.

RAY 8127 Edit

Flightcom 403mc intercom mounted in the glove box.

RAY 8124 Edit

Waterproof switches on each side of the voltmeter are Pilot and CoPilot PTT for the 2-way radio.

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
I just received a Rugged Radio kit with their Talon mounting plate. It’s obvious the radio/intercom are too deep to fit in the cubby hole to be utilized so the back of the cubby hole will have to be cut out. However, on the back side of the cubby hole there is a molded support coming from behind the instrument cluster and attaching to the cubby hole housing. Sure doesn’t look like something I want to take a jig saw too! Of course the mounting bracket, as well as the rest of the kit came without any instructions whatsoever, so it leaves me wondering how to deal with the cubby hole and the bracket behind it! Anyone have a clue?
So I spent the biggest part of yesterday and this morning installing the radio and intercom with the Rugged Radio Talon mounting plate. They really leave you in the air about the install because they provide no installation instruction for any of the equipment. The radio/intercom hookup is pretty straight forward and they do have a connections diagram available on their website, but the mounting plate is another issue!
It would be very helpful and could save you from making a huge mistake if they’d at least provide some basic information like:
* Pretty much the entire cubby hole compartment has to be cut out.
* The bracket that supports the instrument cluster off the back of the cubby has to be cut off above the support.
* There is a wire bundle from the ignition switch that lays against the left side of the cubby that you can’t really tell is there until you cut the cubby...CAUTION!!!
* You’ll have to trim the bottom of the cubby hole about 1/4” across the front.
* You’ll have to notch the sides of the cubby hole face to clear the provided acorn nuts that mount the radio to the face plate bracket.
* The bracket that comes with the face plate is designed to bolt to the back of the radio and then screws to the remainder of the original support to support the instrument cluster left unsupported when the bracket was cut.
* it’s up to you to figure out how to protect the radio from potential water damage since they aren’t really water proof, front or back!

Depending on your own level of anality, the routing of cables and wires can be pretty simple or significantly taxing, depending on how clean you want the install! I happen to be pretty anal about the finished product so it took me a good long time to figure out how I wanted everything to look and work. I needed the PTT (push to talk) buttons logically mounted for easy access when strapped into harnesses etc, the antenna cable hidden rear to front, the headphone jacks flush mounted etc, so it took a lot of disassembly and push pin removal to get it all the way I wanted it.

I think it turned out great, and I’m still waiting to receive the headphone jack mounts and the antenna mount, even though the cables are all in place and functional. But, be advised their advertising this install as Quick and Easy is pretty misleading!

The intercom works great and the Alpha Bass headphones are expensive but seem to work very well for communications. I opted for the Alpha Bass headphones because I wanted good sound quality for music. Rugged advertises the Alpha Bass headphones as these great audiophile quality headphones with amazing bass etc. well, I am a bit of an audiophile, and I’d give these headphones about a 3 on a scale from 1-10 for audio quality, but, with the right music source and proper adjustment, they can make a decent amount of bass via their built in bass amplifier, but they are certainly not a real musical headphone. They do however do a good job in muffling the loud Talon engine noise, work well for Bluetooth connection to your smart phone, and have great clarity for communication between those in your car and car to car with other radio equipped cars.

I javent had the opportunity to take the system out for a real world trail test yet, but I have every confidence that it will perform as advertised on the trail.

All in all, I think My wife and I will enjoy the system and I’m happy with the ascetics.

Just an FYI for those considering adding a system like this to their Talon, I bought all the equipment during Rugged’s 30% off sale and with all the equipment including the upgraded headphones, but not counting the flush mounted headphone jack mounts and the antenna roll bar clamp and mounting plate, the total was a bit over $1500! Not inexpensive, but hopefully will work as expected, and everyone at Rugged Radio has been very helpful and friendly!

D29AC76A 782C 4BFA B06D 3FBBB71EC169 2C8A9A95 125A 40B1 98AD 8C98C4DE7242

nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R
So I spent the biggest part of yesterday and this morning installing the radio and intercom with the Rugged Radio Talon mounting plate. They really leave you in the air about the install because they provide no installation instruction for any of the equipment. The radio/intercom hookup is pretty straight forward and they do have a connections diagram available on their website, but the mounting plate is another issue!
It would be very helpful and could save you from making a huge mistake if they’d at least provide some basic information like:
* The bracket that supports the instrument cluster off the back of the cubby has to be cut off above the support.
* There is a wire bundle from the ignition switch that lays against the left side of the cubby that you can’t really tell is there until you cut the cubby...CAUTION!!!
* You’ll have to notch the sides of the cubby hole face to clear the provided acorn nuts that mount the radio to the face plate bracket.
* The bracket that comes with the face plate is designed to bolt to the back of the radio and then screws to the remainder of the original support to support the instrument cluster left unsupported when the bracket was cut.
* it’s up to you to figure out how to protect the radio from potential water damage since they aren’t really water proof, front or back!

Depending on your own level of anality, the routing of cables and wires can be pretty simple or significantly taxing, depending on how clean you want the install! I happen to be pretty anal about the finished product so it took me a good long time to figure out how I wanted everything to look and work. I needed the PTT (push to talk) buttons logically mounted for easy access when strapped into harnesses etc, the antenna cable hidden rear to front, the headphone jacks flush mounted etc, so it took a lot of disassembly and push pin removal to get it all the way I wanted it.

I think it turned out great, and I’m still waiting to receive the headphone jack mounts and the antenna mount, even though the cables are all in place and functional. But, be advised their advertising this install as Quick and Easy is pretty misleading!

The intercom works great and the Alpha Bass headphones are expensive but seem to work very well for communications. I opted for the Alpha Bass headphones because I wanted good sound quality for music. Rugged advertises the Alpha Bass headphones as these great audiophile quality headphones with amazing bass etc. well, I am a bit of an audiophile, and I’d give these headphones about a 3 on a scale from 1-10 for audio quality, but, with the right music source and proper adjustment, they can make a decent amount of bass via their built in bass amplifier, but they are certainly not a real musical headphone. They do however do a good job in muffling the loud Talon engine noise, work well for Bluetooth connection to your smart phone, and have great clarity for communication between those in your car and car to car with other radio equipped cars.

I javent had the opportunity to take the system out for a real world trail test yet, but I have every confidence that it will perform as advertised on the trail.

All in all, I think My wife and I will enjoy the system and I’m happy with the ascetics.

Just an FYI for those considering adding a system like this to their Talon, I bought all the equipment during Rugged’s 30% off sale and with all the equipment including the upgraded headphones, but not counting the flush mounted headphone jack mounts and the antenna roll bar clamp and mounting plate, the total was a bit over $1500! Not inexpensive, but hopefully will work as expected, and everyone at Rugged Radio has been very helpful and friendly!

View attachment 164343 View attachment 164344

Thanks for the post. Now I'm really glad I did mine the way I did and for 1/4 of the price with a waterproof radio.

Reactions: stellarpod
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Well that’s EXTREMELY undesirable.

Reactions: nm6r
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IF I were to buy theirs I wouldn’t buy their mounts. I’d mount it at roof level and run the headsets to the middle behind each headrest.
That’s a CRAPPY way to install something, hiding all the damage you do and exposing electronics to water/mud/dirt/heat.

advertisement
Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks for the post. Now I'm really glad I did mine the way I did and for 1/4 of the price with a waterproof radio.
Your welcome!
IF I were to buy theirs I wouldn’t buy their mounts. I’d mount it at roof level and run the headsets to the middle behind each headrest.
That’s a CRAPPY way to install something, hiding all the damage you do and exposing electronics to water/mud/dirt/heat.
interesting comment! I think it’s about as clean an install as there could be and don’t have a bunch of gear, wires and brackets hanging out in the open from the roll bar. I’m not one that will ever run my machine through 2 feet of mud or 4 feet of water, so I’m not real worried about that. There are lots of electronics in that same area and RR does sell a Baja Cover to somewhat protect the back side of the radios. I like things looking factory and clean, so I’m happy with how it turned out.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your welcome!

interesting comment! I think it’s about as clean an install as there could be and don’t have a bunch of gear, wires and brackets hanging out in the open from the roll bar. I’m not one that will ever run my machine through 2 feet of mud or 4 feet of water, so I’m not real worried about that. There are lots of electronics in that same area and RR does sell a Baja Cover to somewhat protect the back side of the radios. I like things looking factory and clean, so I’m happy with how it turned out.

It looks clean on the surface, but the mess is just hidden. I really don’t like the fact you have to cut a large part of the dash out. Especially a storage area in a machine that doesn’t have a lot to spare.

I’m going to make a ROPS mounted box to hide all the wires and flush mount the radio/Intercom since the wires are going to the headsets which I’d want to hang in the middle of the machine behind my head a nice clean loom of wire running along the roof to the back would be acceptable.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
i believe he is saying the mess will get to the radio front below to the back of the radio while riding since Talon is so open under the dash.

Reactions: ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i believe he is saying the mess will get to the radio front below to the back of the radio while riding since Talon is so open under the dash.
That too... I just hate messy wiring jobs and exposed electrical devices and connections.

They could’ve made it clean and not remove the dash storage.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4

Thank you for the detailed write up. I just bought the Talon kit with helmet speakers from SideBySide Stuff for a little under $1,200 and the the H24 Ult headphones from Summit Racing for another $320. This is actually a really good deal since Rugged Radios increased prices recently. Just the kit has a retail price of $1600 and the headsets $220 each. Still, like you said, not inexpensive!

I have a NOAM sound system with subwoofer installed already, which sounds pretty good, so I don't know how I'm going to handle music...I will probably end up using music from the headset when riding without a helmet and music from the NOAM system when riding with helmet since I am willing to bet the helmet speakers will sound pretty lacking for music. First world problems...

I can only imagine how long I'd scratch my head before figuring out I'll need to cut up the dash to make the radio fit, if I hadn't read this first. Little disappointing that I need to butcher the plastics, but new plastics aren't too expensive if I decide to put it back.

Are the radio and intercom remotely water resistant? I notice that they sell a face cover for the radio but not for the intercom...The biggest danger of things getting wet is really from the pressure washer when cleaning. I always back up when spraying around electrical harnesses and connections and things that seem sensitive to water and have not had problems. I worry a bout the radio, though.

They do nickel and dime you to death on all the little parts. Do you have pics of your jack mounts or PTT mounts yet. I'm trying to decide where to put that stuff.

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thank you for the detailed write up. I just bought the Talon kit with helmet speakers from SideBySide Stuff for a little under $1,200 and the the H24 Ult headphones from Summit Racing for another $320. This is actually a really good deal since Rugged Radios increased prices recently. Just the kit has a retail price of $1600 and the headsets $220 each. Still, like you said, not inexpensive!

I have a NOAM sound system with subwoofer installed already, which sounds pretty good, so I don't know how I'm going to handle music...I will probably end up using music from the headset when riding without a helmet and music from the NOAM system when riding with helmet since I am willing to bet the helmet speakers will sound pretty lacking for music. First world problems...

I can only imagine how long I'd scratch my head before figuring out I'll need to cut up the dash to make the radio fit, if I hadn't read this first. Little disappointing that I need to butcher the plastics, but new plastics aren't too expensive if I decide to put it back.

Are the radio and intercom remotely water resistant? I notice that they sell a face cover for the radio but not for the intercom...The biggest danger of things getting wet is really from the pressure washer when cleaning. I always back up when spraying around electrical harnesses and connections and things that seem sensitive to water and have not had problems. I worry a bout the radio, though.

They do nickel and dime you to death on all the little parts. Do you have pics of your jack mounts or PTT mounts yet. I'm trying to decide where to put that stuff.
1751C970 5462 4A91 89F6 18CA8ACA3FA7
Push to talk buttons are located on the console between the seats. Headphone jacks are located behind the seats to the outside edge where they are easily accessible ( sorry, no pic for those).

One word of caution!! Once I got my whole system installed and ready to go, I did the first functional test with the engine running. As soon as I pushed the Push To Talk button the engine died and it died pretty much every time I pushed the buttons. I tried everything to figure out what was going on. I ran ground wire from the antenna, grounds from the radio/intercom, nothing seemed to work except moving the antenna clear to the back of the Talon... which wouldn’t work as a permanent location. Long story short, and after a great deal of head scratching and discussions with Rugged Radio’s tech folks, I discovered this: Rugged Radio sells the kits with a 1/4 Wave antenna. This antenna is designed to be mounted on a Ground Plane such as a metal roof. In discussing my situation with one of their tech guys at the Scottsdale Off Road show, he admitted to me that they include the 1/4 Wave antenna in the kits because the 1/4 Wave is only 18” long and it fits in the box. He gave me a 1/2 Wave antenna at the show for free. The 1/2 Wave is 36” long (I think). I took the 1/2 Wave antenna home, stuck it on the bracket in the same location (on the vertical roll bar behind the passenger seat) and bingo... no more problems! I did go ahead and attach a ground strap to the 1/2 Wave even though it seemed to be fine without.

A friend of mine bought the same RR kit for his RZR at the same time as I bought mine. He had a similar issue with his setup except rather than killing the engine when pressing the PTT button it sent his engine control system (after market) into full lean condition. Not good! He chased this problem for days with no luck after shielding everything he could think of, rerouting cables etc. He was in Scottsdale with me and also came home with a 1/2 Wave antenna. Cured his problem immediately also. Moral of the story is... if you have issues like those described and you are using a 1/4 Wave antenna switch to the 1/2 Wave and see if that takes care of your issue. Apparently the 1/4 Wave works ok for a lot of applications, but sure caused my friend and I a lot of headaches!
The RR radio is a very powerful 60 watt radio and can cause some real interference with other electronics in the car if not properly set up!

Hope this helps others from dealing with the headaches I went through!

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
View attachment 172486Push to talk buttons are located on the console between the seats. Headphone jacks are located behind the seats to the outside edge where they are easily accessible ( sorry, no pic for those).

One word of caution!! Once I got my whole system installed and ready to go, I did the first functional test with the engine running. As soon as I pushed the Push To Talk button the engine died and it died pretty much every time I pushed the buttons. I tried everything to figure out what was going on. I ran ground wire from the antenna, grounds from the radio/intercom, nothing seemed to work except moving the antenna clear to the back of the Talon... which wouldn’t work as a permanent location. Long story short, and after a great deal of head scratching and discussions with Rugged Radio’s tech folks, I discovered this: Rugged Radio sells the kits with a 1/4 Wave antenna. This antenna is designed to be mounted on a Ground Plane such as a metal roof. In discussing my situation with one of their tech guys at the Scottsdale Off Road show, he admitted to me that they include the 1/4 Wave antenna in the kits because the 1/4 Wave is only 18” long and it fits in the box. He gave me a 1/2 Wave antenna at the show for free. The 1/2 Wave is 36” long (I think). I took the 1/2 Wave antenna home, stuck it on the bracket in the same location (on the vertical roll bar behind the passenger seat) and bingo... no more problems! I did go ahead and attach a ground strap to the 1/2 Wave even though it seemed to be fine without.

A friend of mine bought the same RR kit for his RZR at the same time as I bought mine. He had a similar issue with his setup except rather than killing the engine when pressing the PTT button it sent his engine control system (after market) into full lean condition. Not good! He chased this problem for days with no luck after shielding everything he could think of, rerouting cables etc. He was in Scottsdale with me and also came home with a 1/2 Wave antenna. Cured his problem immediately also. Moral of the story is... if you have issues like those described and you are using a 1/4 Wave antenna switch to the 1/2 Wave and see if that takes care of your issue. Apparently the 1/4 Wave works ok for a lot of applications, but sure caused my friend and I a lot of headaches!
The RR radio is a very powerful 60 watt radio and can cause some real interference with other electronics in the car if not properly set up!

Hope this helps others from dealing with the headaches I went through!
Wow, thanks for the heads up...Hopefully I can get this installed and move on with my life. I'd hate for my sidebyside hobby to turn into an unwanted radio hobby. Also irritating to probably need to spend yet another $50 on something they should have kitted in the first place (like the intercom to radio harness with on/off switch (another $40).

Why couldn't you mount it to the back? I was thinking about putting a little extension on the tab on the roll bar at the middle back of the roof. I have an X4, not sure if that tab is on the tow seater.

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
Wow, thanks for the heads up...Hopefully I can get this installed and move on with my life. I'd hate for my sidebyside hobby to turn into an unwanted radio hobby. Also irritating to probably need to spend yet another $50 on something they should have kitted in the first place (like the intercom to radio harness with on/off switch (another $40).

Why couldn't you mount it to the back? I was thinking about putting a little extension on the tab on the roll bar at the middle back of the roof. I have an X4, not sure if that tab is on the tow seater.
If you end up with the antenna problem they will swap the 1/2 Wave for free...as long as the 1/4 Wave from the kit is like new, so don’t scratch it!
As for locating the 1/4 Wave to the back, first, I wanted the antenna as inconspicuous as possible. I know some have mounted their antenna on the flag mount tab on the rear of the diagonal roll bar, but I wanted mine a little more hidden. Secondly, and more of a placement restriction, the antenna cable supplied isn’t long enough to mount The antenna that far back And still follow the roll bar lines with the cable. I ran my antenna cable from the roll bar right behind the passenger seat back, down the vertical bar, under the passenger door space, into the under hood area behind the right front wheel well, and along the frame support tubing, and into the back of the radio. This way all but a few inches of the cable are hidden. You have to try and keep the antenna cable away from other power cables etc that could cause electrical interference. This routing used all but a foot or so of the provided antenna lead. If I dismounted the antenna and stretched the cable as far as I could towards the rear of the machine I could get far enough away from all the other electronics to make the 1/4 Wave work without interfering with the engine electronics but that’s not where I wanted it located and it left the cable stretched through mid air. Good luck with your install!

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
FYI, if you look at the upper left hand corner of this pic you can see where I mounted my antenna. In the pic the antenna cable hasn't been zip tied back into place, and you can see the antenna spring bent. Since the 1/2 Wave antenna is 36” or so long, I bend it over and slip it under the rear overhang of the roof. Works good in keeping the antenna out of the way when loading in the toy hauler etc. I also put a strip of adhesive Velcro (only the soft loop side) on the inside edge of the roll bar to keep the antenna from banging against the roll bar when riding since there is only 1/4” or so between the antenna and the roll bar in that location.
53755E89 5981 4D7A 8F4D 927C53F37FE9

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
@Ezgoin Thanks for all the input. I have the X4. Not sure where the antenna is going to land with the 13 ft cable. may need to order a longer cable. We'll see once all the stuff arrives.

advertisement