Rough Idle

Lucas

Lucas

Mar 25, 2015
Hello All,

I recently sold my old trusty '03 Rancher ES to a buddy once I discovered the existence of the Pioneer 500. The story goes that last fall I was on Honda's website looking at power steering Ranchers (due to a wrist injury) and saw the SXS link. I clicked on it and now there's a green Pioneer 500 in my driveway. I've had to tether myself to the ground to keep from floating away I'm so happy with it... and believe me, I've been happy before having ridden Honda's now for 40 years... just not this happy! I already have a roof and windshield on her and am planning to upgrade the tires and rims soon. I really underestimated how much more money I would spending on this machine, but it certainly seems worth it every time I take her for a ride (or is it drive?).

Anyway, the only thing I'm uncertain of and maybe even a little concerned about is the engine idle... and perhaps the general fuel delivery for the engine itself. In my experience Honda's have always idled very smoothly... can't really "feel" them running like some other machines... my old Rancher is a case in point. My pioneer shakes the cab frame/windshield and seem a little piggish coming off idle. It starts right up and doesn't ever stall and goes down the trails well, the idle just seems rough to me. I asked the dealer about it and it appears the idle is controlled by a gizmo of sorts (idle module?) and isn't adjustable, or I'd just bring it up a little and see if it comes out of it. The other thing that seems unusual to me is that after a ride (not even a hard one) the exhaust system seems really hot, like the engine is running too lean... lots of tinking and clinking sounds until it cools down. Maybe this is just the way the Pioneer 500 runs, but I have nothing to compare it to so I just don't know. Wouldn't want to hurt it or anything if something is actually wrong with her.

Any thought on the subject and/or other members experience with how their Pioneers run would be most appreciated... thanks!

Lucas

G

game020

Mar 25, 2015
My 500 idles as smooth as any single cylinder engine. If the engine does not die , it should be ok. Use only fresh gas. If you use gas with alcohol , it can get stale and cause problems in as little as 30 days. The clinking and noise from the exhaust is normal. The fan should engage if it gets hot and keep it at normal running temperatures when you are setting still. Every thing you described seems normal to me. Don't worry, just enjoy the ride.

Lucas

Lucas

Mar 25, 2015
Thanks for the feedback. You know, I suppose it could be the fuel now that you mention it. 10% ethanol could make it run hotter on the exhaust side too I imagine. I've only put 50 miles on it so far so I'm sure some of the gas was whatever they put in it. The engine is still very snappy feeling in the woods and torque is excellent!

The dealer has two 500s in house right now and said I could come by and run them to compare. I think I'll take him up on the offer and see how the others compare to mine, which has idled like it has since day one. All my Hondas have had carburetors until this one with closed loop fuel injection, a Cat, etc. Maybe it's the price of better throttle response... or maybe not?

Lucas

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hello, welcome to the club.

Ya, The exhaust is very normal. Best described by saying "it's the new burning off". It will smell, have light smoke at first like oil burning off, and lots of cooling down noises. It will calm down after some ride time.

Lucas

Lucas

Mar 25, 2015
Thanks for the kind welcome and feedback. Trip to the dealer was actually eventful since they also had two 700-4s on the showroom floor which I'd never seen before... very nice machines. I ran both 500's and I think they both were very similar running to mine at idle as far as the shaking of the cab and the throttle response off idle in neutral. Add the windshield and roof mine has for more things to rattle and noise feedback and I'm satisfied that's just how the Pioneer 500's run... which is fine by me. Every machine has it's own character and I'm really enjoying the process of assimilating with my awesome new rig!

Lucas

BurntMudd

BurntMudd

May 8, 2015
Thanks for the post. This helps a lot because I was thinking the same thing about the idling. Not worrying about it now. Thanks

Lucas

Lucas

Mar 25, 2015
Seems like things are smoothing out as I get more hours on her... both with the engine idle and shifting as well. Typical Honda... when other makes are breaking down, a Honda is just breaking in!