Rough idle and stall 2019 Honda talon.

Hilgart2017

Hilgart2017

Jan 3, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Went to start my Honda talon to do some work on it and couldn’t hardly pull it into the shop. The idle was inconsistent and when I’d put it in gear to move it would die. If i had it in park or neutral and revved it, it was fine as far as i could tell. I did notice a strong raw fuel smell from the exhaust like it wasn’t burning it properly which is making me suspect plugs. I have seen people saying to check battery voltage but i didn’t have a multimeter handy to do that. It has around 700 miles, give or take, on the odometer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
If battery had enough power to perform multiple restarts, I doubt that was a concern. Another possibility may be a stuck injector.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If it was parked for a period of time the symptoms are almost certainly caused by bad gas. The crap we buy now contains ethanol which goes bad quickly and gums up carburetors, fuel injectors, and ruins fuel tanks.

Thank a stupid and corrupt politician.

Reactions: CID
Hilgart2017

Hilgart2017

Jan 3, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
If battery had enough power to perform multiple restarts, I doubt that was a concern. Another possibility may be a stuck injector.
Kinda what i figured as far as the battery goes. Any recommendations for cleaning the injectors? New fuel and run the hell out of it? Lol

Hilgart2017

Hilgart2017

Jan 3, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
If it was parked for a period of time the symptoms are almost certainly caused by bad gas. The crap we buy now contains ethanol which goes bad quickly and gums up carburetors, fuel injectors, and ruins fuel tanks.

It did sit for a little over a month in a shop getting some warranty work done. And if i ain’t mistaken that’s the same gas that’s in it. I topped it off to go to a mud park about a month ago and it was in the shop a whole month before, but it still had about a half a tank. I picked it up the day we headed to the park. Maybe some of the old gas had some trash in it. I’ll try draining the tank and putting new fuel. Hopefully that will clear out the injectors if anything is in them. Time to buy some sta-bil while I’m at it i guess. Normally it wouldn’t sit that long but it wasn’t in my possession. Any recommendations for an injector cleaner other than sea-foam?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If possible remove the bad fuel from the fuel tank. If not practical to remove fuel fill the tank with fresh fuel. Buy Chevron [re,oi, grade containing Techron if possible. If not available, fill fith any brand gas and add recommended quantity of bottled Techron from injector cleaner or another brand if you prefer.

Repeat as needed. No guarantees but if you're lucky that will clean your injectors.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
With a cold start, put a finger on each exhaust pipe at the head, if one is cold, that's your dead cylinder. I'd suspect a bad spark plug, most last a looooong time but a few fail early.

Hilgart2017

Hilgart2017

Jan 3, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
If possible remove the bad fuel from the fuel tank. If not practical to remove fuel fill the tank with fresh fuel. Buy Chevron [re,oi, grade containing Techron if possible. If not available, fill fith any brand gas and add recommended quantity of bottled Techron from injector cleaner or another brand if you prefer.

Repeat as needed. No guarantees but if you're lucky that will clean your injectors.
Thanks for the tip. I’ve had to drain it before so i can get it out. Appreciate it.

Hilgart2017

Hilgart2017

Jan 3, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
With a cold start, put a finger on each exhaust pipe at the head, if one is cold, that's your dead cylinder. I'd suspect a bad spark plug, most last a looooong time but a few fail early.
I’ll give that a shot as well. Even having a mechanical background, sometimes i forget the old school basics. 🤦🏻

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Fuel injectors have very fine clearances. A very thin layer of gunk, varnish, or gum deposits from old ethanol fuel or trash or even water can cause rough running, misfiring, etc.

advertisement
VonHarvester

VonHarvester

Jan 2, 2021
South central lower MI
Ownership

1. 520

2. Talon X
Try changing the IAC valve. My 2021 1000X began idling poorly and stalling sometimes at an idle with only 700 miles on it. It ran fine and shifted just fine the moment you gave it some throttle and took off. This has cured the problem 100%. By the way, I highly recomment spending the $80 and purchase a factory service manual.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don’t think I paid that much for my svc manual from the dealer but my memory may be failing me. #oleguy I agree it’s a valuable resource to have. I much prefer a paper copy over a PDF, something I can set on the fender while I’m working that won’t break if it falls on the floor. And I can’t use Post It’s in a PDF.

M

Mike115

Feb 22, 2022
florida
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Went to start my Honda talon to do some work on it and couldn’t hardly pull it into the shop. The idle was inconsistent and when I’d put it in gear to move it would die. If i had it in park or neutral and revved it, it was fine as far as i could tell. I did notice a strong raw fuel smell from the exhaust like it wasn’t burning it properly which is making me suspect plugs. I have seen people saying to check battery voltage but i didn’t have a multimeter handy to do that. It has around 700 miles, give or take, on the odometer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA
Did you resovle this problem?

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

If I recall didnt ethanol use start during the George W days?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If I recall didnt ethanol use start during the George W days?
Perhaps. I don't recall when it became law but it was not a GWB policy. Bush is a Texan where the economy is largely based on oil drilling and refining. Texans don't like, want, or benefit from ethanol.

You can thank your farm state dumocraps for ethanol.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Perhaps. I don't recall when it became law but it was not a GWB policy. Bush is a Texan where the economy is largely based on oil drilling and refining. Texans don't like, want, or benefit from ethanol.

You can thank your farm state dumocraps for ethanol.
It's all about the money