Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I threw some roll bar clamps together this week. I used a lathe and a mill, BUT you could use a drill press with an end mill bit and get similar results if you took your time. These can be bought for $30+ each from superatv. For me that was a bit steep, since I wanted four of them. Material cost is about $12 each. I used 2.75" OD tube with .5" wall, giving the desired 1.75" ID.

I used the mill to split the tube in half. But if you don't have a mill, you could use a cutoff wheel and grinder and do pretty well I think.

Just an idea I wanted to share with everybody. Now, on to step two of my latest idea...

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's really cool.

Are you going to fracture it to break it apart? That's how some company's used to do con rods for engines.

Also, I guess you had to drill and tap your own holes and counter sink the screw heads? Do you plan on cutting both sides?

I guess I should just watch this unfold instead of asking too many questions. Carry on please

Reactions: Tflynn
d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
Good job. It's nice having the equipment when needed huh..Just wish I could make time...

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
New That's really cool.

Are you going to fracture it to break it apart? That's how some company's used to do con rods for engines.
I milled that area down with multiple passes until there was just maybe a 1/16" left, then I did the same on the other side. To finish the cut I used a cutoff wheel, and then a flap wheel to clean everything up.

But before you split the piece into halves you have to countersink with a plunge cut using the end mill bit (this could be done on a good drill press) and drill your holes, that way you can be sure everything will line up. Lastly you tap the bottom half (fun fun) and drill out the holes a little on the top half so the bolts slide through. I should have taken more pictures dang!

Reactions: joeymt33
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Good job. It's nice having the equipment when needed huh..Just wish I could make time...
Yeah time is the hardest part to get ahold of! I've been wanting to build these for awhile

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
So @Tflynn what are you planning to use these bad boys for?
I have two things in store for these. First is a passenger t-hold grab handle per Mrs. Tflynn's request. Second is a modification on my bolt on cage idea. After much deliberation and a realization I can't afford the down time to make a full custom cage, I have an idea of how I can make a removable rear "sub cage" that provides a good place to mount a spare and some additional trail tools, maybe add a winch cradle to it as well. That way when I go trail riding I can put it on and when I'm working around the ranch I can easily remove it.

BlueCollarGuy7007

BlueCollarGuy7007

Mar 2, 2016
DFW Texas
What could be fabbed w/ a Bridgeport sitting in the shop. Yes, I would make a few too .