Rod failure

prostreet66mustang

prostreet66mustang

Dec 6, 2020
Oro Valley (Tucson) Az
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hello in the upgrade mode. Has any one seen or have had any type of connecting rod failure? In the Talon 1000 motor.Walking around the pit or other races you just pasted as they had rod failures. I am wondering if it is really needed to upgrade the rods or maybe just the bolts to have a race motor stay together. Hope to go to 11.5 so I can stay on pump gas with a tune. We can not always get to your race gas. We all like the nice new shinny parts but dose it really help. Thank You to all Hammer Down

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Don't think I've saw rod issues just some piston problems on turbo machines. The Talon rod does use cap screws instead of a bolt and nut which is good. Not aware of an aftermarket rod bolt but may be able to cross one with ARP bolts. Would need to have the rods resized if you changed the bolts.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
The stock rods are not a problem. The only guys I know of that are running aftermarket rods are running turbo kits with HUGE boost. I'm in the process of putting together a new N/A race motor with over 13:1 compression and my engine guy said the stock rods were fine. His only suggestion was to order new rod bolts from Honda. It's not that they go bad, it's just an insurance policy against the "just in case" factor.