P1000 rkwerner's Wisconsin 1000

R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello from Lena, WI. I am new to the side by side game but not new to offroading. I have previously had a couple ATV's and my soon to be former toy was a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser that I modified for offroading. I graduated from college with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and moved from Michigan to Wisconsin. After moving I decided that wheeling a full size SUV was more limited here in Wisconsin than in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and decided to start looking for a side by side.

Well on June 20th I drove down to Milwaukee to pick up my new green 2016 Pioneer 1000-3. It was the last 2016 they had and a California model. I couldn't pass up the deal that the dealer had on it.

20170613 171715 zpsxjdcvugu

I already it stuck on my property (we have had a ton of rain this year) and finally got it out on my first ride last weekend. A 50 mile round trip from Gillett to Mountain and back. It was a lot of fun until I hit a rain storm (rookie mistake to not check the weather first, a very cold 17 miles back).

So now I begin the build process. I plan to take a trip from Gillett, WI to Copper Harbor, MI in August so I started ordering parts this weekend.

So first round of Mods:
- KFI Winch Mount
- Superwinch Terra 45 Synthetic Rope Winch
- Super ATV Flip out Windshield
- Honda Bimini Soft Top
- OxGord UTV Side View Mirrors

I'll post pictures and keep this thread updated with my progress.

Last edited:
J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club Rick, glad to hear your happy with your rig and adding new improvements.

Sent from my SM-T818V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello from Lena, WI. I am new to the side by side game but not new to offroading. I have previously had a couple ATV's and my soon to be former toy was a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser that I modified for offroading. I graduated from college with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and moved from Michigan to Wisconsin. After moving I decided that wheeling a full size SUV was more limited here in Wisconsin than in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and decided to start looking for a side by side.

Well on June 20th I drove down to Milwaukee to pick up my new green 2016 Pioneer 1000-3. It was the last 2016 they had and a California model. I couldn't pass up the deal that the dealer had on it.

I already it stuck on my property (we have had a ton of rain this year) and finally got it out on my first ride last weekend. A 50 mile round trip from Gillett to Mountain and back. It was a lot of fun until I hit a rain storm (rookie mistake to not check the weather first, a very cold 17 miles back).

So now I begin the build process. I plan to take a trip from Gillett, WI to Copper Harbor, MI in August so I started ordering parts this weekend.

So first round of Mods:
- KFI Winch Mount
- Superwinch Terra 45 Synthetic Rope Winch
- Super ATV Flip out Windshield
- Honda Bimini Soft Top
- OxGord UTV Side View Mirrors

I'll post pictures and keep this thread updated with my progress.
Welcome from southern Wisconsin!

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome aboard from semo

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome! Did you go to Michigan Tech? I've been planning to ride from Dunbar to Copper Harbor, wont make it this year but I'm thinking next summer.

R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome! Did you go to Michigan Tech? I've been planning to ride from Dunbar to Copper Harbor, wont make it this year but I'm thinking next summer.

Yes sir, I graduated last year with my bachlors in mechanical engineering. Now I'm a field service technician for a company in Green Bay.

I will let you know how the ride is. By my calculation it is 220 miles of trails in Michigan. I'm still working on the length of the trails in Wisconsin.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes sir, I graduated last year with my bachlors in mechanical engineering. Now I'm a field service technician for a company in Green Bay.

I will let you know how the ride is. By my calculation it is 220 miles of trails in Michigan. I'm still working on the length of the trails in Wisconsin.

Cool, I graduated from Tech in 08. Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering Technology.

advertisement
pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from WV

R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Had some interesting time with my rig on the 4th. Luckily I got it shut off in time and didn't hydrolock the engine.

11983 zpsyf30gcjsjpe

5 evenings of work and ~$200 dollars in fluids and filters and I'm ready to hit the trails again. I think a snorkel is in my immediate future.

20170704 232752 zpssyh9nlru
20170704 232719 zpsd7artig7

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
What Glock said! And welcome! Good work on the key switch in time. 200$ is a damn cheap repair

Reactions: GlockMeister
R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah would have been really sad. 9.2 hours on it at the time. Actually none of my mods had shown up yet. I'm a field service technician and haven't been home to rig anything up myself yet. Definitely will snorkel it before I do my big ride in August.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah would have been really sad. 9.2 hours on it at the time. Actually none of my mods had shown up yet. I'm a field service technician and haven't been home to rig anything up myself yet. Definitely will snorkel it before I do my big ride in August.
What trails were these?

R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There was a ton of water by Dunbar that weekend too.

Yeah everywhere around here has a ton of water right now.

Admittedly I was warned to avoid the water out there but that crossing spanned the entire trail. And the road that would have bypassed it was closed because it had washed out. It was only 20' across so I didn't think it would be too bad...I guess I was wrong.

Apparently that area is known with for deep water because it is where the locals take their mud trucks. Talking with the game warden he told me that stretch has the most fatalities in the county because quads hit them at speed and go over the handlebars.

Moral of the story. Snorkel your rig and take every puddle slowly, the first time. If it's safe GIV'ER HELL on the second, third, ect. runs.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yeah everywhere around here has a ton of water right now.

Admittedly I was warned to avoid the water out there but that crossing spanned the entire trail. And the road that would have bypassed it was closed because it had washed out. It was only 20' across so I didn't think it would be too bad...I guess I was wrong.

Apparently that area is known with for deep water because it is where the locals take their mud trucks. Talking with the game warden he told me that stretch has the most fatalities in the county because quads hit them at speed and go over the handlebars.

Moral of the story. Snorkel your rig and take every puddle slowly, the first time. If it's safe GIV'ER HELL on the second, third, ect. runs.
The puddles that killed mine weren't up to the axels so be careful with any speed as well.

advertisement