Revese backlash

C

cjburt22

Mar 7, 2018
Enterprise, MS
Hey guys, I made a mistake and messed up the reverse in my pioneer. It makes some clacking noises then will finally engage. I understand I've more than likely damaged the reverse shift fork or dawg. My dealer quoted at least $2,500 so that's not an option. I consider myself a good mechanic so I don't think I'll have a problem. My question is what all is necessary to remove to get to this part and what all parts are recommended with this repair? I do have a repair manual but it's hard to determine what is actually necessary and whats not. I know with working on jet skis there are always tricks and tips that make big jobs a little easier.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Casey

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: TxDoc
H

HondaTech

If it is the reverse dog/fork in the sub trans its not a big deal.

The sub trans can be removed by pulling the diff foward, dropping the skid plate and cables/harnesses.

Then the sub trans can unbolt and drop out of the bottom.

You could assemble and entire sub trans, case and all for under $2500, installed.

C

cjburt22

Mar 7, 2018
Enterprise, MS
If it is the reverse dog/fork in the sub trans its not a big deal.

The sub trans can be removed by pulling the diff foward, dropping the skid plate and cables/harnesses.

Then the sub trans can unbolt and drop out of the bottom.

You could assemble and entire sub trans, case and all for under $2500, installed.
Ok thanks, does the problem I mention sound like the fork/dog to you? As mentioned when I shift into reverse, it will jump in and out then finally engage. After that it works perfect.

H

HondaTech

Does/has the unit ever crept in gear?

How long has it been grinding in gear?

It could just need a cable adjustment.

C

cjburt22

Mar 7, 2018
Enterprise, MS
Well this happened when myself and my boys were trying to sneak up on a friend and while rolling about 40 I tried to push the shifter into neutral to coast and pushed it too far and it grinded terribly! That was in Sept and I've just been so busy I haven't been able to work on it. I still use it regularly but just shift into reverse and allow the bike to ease into reverse. Sometimes it goes right in, but most time it pops a couple times.
I suppose it could be adjusted but I always assume the worse with my kind of luck.

H

HondaTech

Its possible it knocked a ear bad enough to cause it to skip going into gear.

Maybe drain the oil and look for metal filings in the oil.

Reactions: TripleB
C

cjburt22

Mar 7, 2018
Enterprise, MS
Ok I'll drain oil and look for metal. Are you thinking if no metal in oil, then could possibly just need adjusting?

H

HondaTech

You could start with and adjustment per the manual.

If that doesn't do anything, then I'd go for a teardown.

Reactions: TripleB
C

cjburt22

Mar 7, 2018
Enterprise, MS
You could start with and adjustment per the manual.

If that doesn't do anything, then I'd go for a teardown.
Ok the only adjustment I found in the manual was to eliminate free play in shifter and I didn't really have any. I may have missed stunting else. So I removed the sub transmission and removed the cover and can't see any visible issues nor was there any metal in oil. Could this issue be in the transmission? I certainly hope not! The only issue is reverse and once it goes in its good. I would love to talk to you if you have a moment. I'll be glad to pay you for your time.
Thanks,
Casey

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
advertisement
C

cjburt22

Mar 7, 2018
Enterprise, MS
Ok I investigated further and found the issue. I did find metal shavings in the case then found the edges cooked off on the 2 reverse gears. My question is now, would you like to replace those gears if I shipped it to you? I would prefer it to be done properly. I think I could but I know you can, lol. Please let me know and message me your details if your willing. Dc54e2f2989f7c65ca10a6e31924a5c55cbe3f47716f2e85b082cbca0e9578f1382e1fb7791c63d617a3f41154c5d06e

Last edited: