P500 Reverse lever bypass

dls1966

dls1966

Mar 4, 2018
Kawkawlin Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Yesterday I spent the day cutting fire wood and the worst part was having to pull the lever to back up so today I fixed that little problem with a cure I saw on the Appalachian mountain riders u tube site and boy what a difference.
Now just pull the paddle and your in reverse
I just wanted to say thank you for the great fix and congratulations on your new baby

Dbf4c21764ba3950a62ac1b2220f4f82

Last edited by a moderator:
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yesterday I spent the day cutting fire wood and the worst part was having to pull the lever to back up so today I fixed that little problem with a cure I saw on the Appalachian mountain riders u tube site and boy what a difference.
Now just pull the paddle and your in reverse
I just wanted to say thank you for the great fix and congratulations on your new baby
Watching @jay_man81 youtube vids is how i learned to bypass mine also. I subscribed to his youtube channel. You should also if you havent already. He always posts pretty informative stuff on his channel.

dls1966

dls1966

Mar 4, 2018
Kawkawlin Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I bought my 2017 because of the things I saw on his channel I was looking at Polaris but Honda has a better idea I couldn't see trusting a rubber band where I go
Plus there's a lot of information on YouTube and the internet to get a helping hand if you need it
Also I don't see any Polaris sxs clubs like this one

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I found out how to do it from @PistonHonda and I'm pretty sure that someone before him had already figured it out. Glad Jay makes these videos, I've watched plenty of them myself. Just hope he's giving some credit where it's due. Most any mechanical revelation on a Honda sxs comes from here.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I found out how to do it from @PistonHonda and I'm pretty sure that someone before him had already figured it out. Glad Jay makes these videos, I've watched plenty of them myself. Just hope he's giving some credit where it's due. Most any mechanical revelation on a Honda sxs comes from here.
Seat belt speed limiter disable another great forum find for in/out yard chores.

Add the sway bar disconnect too. Zero expense.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3748

Yeah, I had nothing to do with figuring that out. I think I learned it from a thread at this forum.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I was looking at Polaris but Honda has a better idea I couldn't see trusting a rubber band where I go
Yeah, but it’s a really BIG rubber band.....

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If the reverse lever has been by-passed, what damage can be done if one inadvertently downshifts through neutral into reverse while moving?
It’s possible but you have to just pay attention when your shifting. Doing this makes u pay more attention to what your doing and that’s not a bad thing;).
Best mod ever!

advertisement
tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I guess my main question is
.. what damage can be done if one inadvertently downshifts through neutral into reverse while moving?
I think I read in a post that" it will not go into reverse while moving." Has anybody done it, and if so, did it actually go into reverse and was any damage done?

G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
I have gone past neutral when down shifting and it will not go into reverse until I am almost to a complete stop. My experience, it will not go into reverse at speed.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
If going slow, it will jerk you as a stern reminder. Those that snow plow might chime in.

Last edited:
Reactions: trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If going slow, it will jerk you as a stern reminder. Those that snow plow might chime in.
Hmm......ok, that doesn’t jive with what I had read, if memory serves, probably a couple years ago when this first came up, that it would not go into reverse while moving. Based upon what you’re saying Mudder, it will engage at a very slow speed. If so, I think I’ll just leave mine as it is. I’m not sure how many members have done this mod but it would be worthwhile to hear what problems, if any, have been encountered.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Jerk was during a very slow roll/creep going back and forth out of mudhole on trail, likely less than 1 mph, my impatient mistake, LOL. Never accidently shifted at any higher speed. No regrets on the adjustment. Heres a post from @Longbrake500 and @JollyJoker about blocks to slip in there to keep it pulled, then could remove the block for back to normal for other drivers. Pretty smart option.
P500 - No Eagle snow plow for me...

Last edited:
Reactions: TC Canada
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Jerk was during a very slow roll going back and forth out of mudhole on trail, likely less than 1 mph, my impatient mistake, LOL. Never accidently shifted at any higher speed. No regrets on the adjustment. Heres a post from @Longbrake500 and @JollyJoker about blocks to slip in there to keep it pulled, then could remove the block for back to normal for other drivers. Pretty smart option.
P500 - No Eagle snow plow for me...
Nice, thank you....

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I did mine a long time ago and for those that plow couldn't imagine leaving it hooked up, it was a pita. I have went into reverse while still rolling, not very fast and due to my impatience as well. It'll give you a good jerk but no grinding of teeth or anything. Downshifting to the point of hitting reverse would almost have to be intentional. L gear would almost throw you through the windshield at speed or stall the machine and neutral would have no effect, if you wouldn't feel the difference with either one of those, better leave it hooked up.

Reactions: Mudder
JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
I have had my reverse lever blocked off for 2 years now and would have it no other way. I have to do a 3 point turn to turn around in my driveway from the garage every time I use my p500 and I don't even touch the brakes any more. You almost can not shift fast enough that you could hurt the transmission. Putting it in reverse before you come to a complete stop will give you a slight "jerk" and slow any forward motion. I do this many many times plowing in the winter and no problems. It's a HONDA!

advertisement