redundant question

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
this may seem dumb, but wondering if there would be any issue with adding a few oz of oil thru the dip stick hole, if check oil and were down just small amount? I am not talking about a quart, just a few oz. Once oil change is complete and rear box is back in, it is a pain to take it all back out just to get to the normal fill point. In my mind, I see no issues, but want opinions so I don't make a stupid mistake in future if have to add a little (no brain fart LOL).

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Surely it isn't too much trouble to tilt the bed and remove 4 push pins. Owners manual says not to add oil via dipstick. Not sure if it would hurt anything or not, but why risk it.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hmmm … 🤔 I did an oil change yesterday and in order to avoid emptying and removing my storage box (not Honda's), I did the balancing act and worked in the meager space available. I'm not sure it was worth the time and effort saved. Our dipstick is fairly easy access, comparatively. IOW - I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: IDIOT
JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I don't have a Talon but if only a few ounces, I wouldn't worry to much!

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Been there, done that - no issues. Just let it sit and drain down in for a bit.

Reactions: Hondasxs
B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
again was just looking to see if there was an obvious reason I was missing. Last oil change the next day it showed I needed 3 or 4 more oz to fill and I took everything apart again to get there. Thanks

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Honda is concerned that filling via the dip stick will cause the engine cavity to fill vs the oil tank.

I could see some costly and expensive side effects if someone did it in too much of a hurry. Like a dealer rushing them in/out of the shop.

Reactions: CID and Mudwing
IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
You can also just loosen the clamp that holds the oil fill hose on at the engine and add it there. I am considering relocating the oil fill so i don't have to remove my box and the rear cover anymore.

Reactions: CID and Lil_Steve
advertisement