Rear spring settings for 4

V

vwkarmann89

Jul 14, 2014
Hello all! I got a 700-4 last Thursday and so far it's been a great change from my 420 Rancher AT. Just have a few observations and questions. Do any of you adjust the rear springs for hauling 4 adults of average size? If you do what setting? If I remember correctly mine is set on 2 from honda. Next question is does 4 passengers affect going up a hill by making the front light? I would think if it did you would probably notice a light front end in cornering as well. And lastly has anyone insulated or put a fan in the engine compartment to reduce the heat coming from the seat belt holes and plastic under the seat? I noticed under slow trail riding those areas became very warm.... Borderline hot. I've only owned my pioneer for a week but I'm impressed by it so far and it is so much more versatile than my atv was and the family gets to have fun! I think honda did a excellent job.

S

SkyPup

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2014
I wrapped the header pipe with thermal exhaust wrap and that reduced the perceived temps by 50% and then installed a rubber door mat under the seat over the two rubber panels, that reduced the heat another 25%

V

vwkarmann89

Jul 14, 2014
Yeah those are good ideas and I think I will do the same. If this thing had a cab on it there would be no need for a heater in the winter. I'm kinda surprised Honda would go into production with that much heat coming from the engine compartment.. Maybe this was area they skimped on to keep cost down.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome VW,
Glad to have you here as a new member.
I would bump the shock up to level 3 or 4. But it depends on what your purpose is. If you are just strolling around it will be fine at 2 , but if you on a bumpy trail 3 or better.

As for 4 people going up a hill. Ya, it changes the load center slightly. But nothing it want handle. If the hill is big enough to flip it you shouldn't be going up it anyways.

I am interested in the pipe wrap also. Sky, were you able to wrap it without removing anything?

S

SkyPup

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2014
I did not remove anything, two wraps of 25 foot long titanium/fiberglass, 25 ft covers from exhaust flange to muffler, did that twice. It is tedious but not difficult, wrapped with stainless steel safety wire to hold the ends in place.

S

SkyPup

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2014
It smokes quite a bit first couple times you run it, but no worries after about an hour of operation, no more smoke and allot less heat emission.