P700 Rear Locker Brainstorming

hicks4

hicks4

May 25, 2016
Sulphur, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok so I'm loving my new to me 700-4 but the thing eats some grass for sure. We use it 70% around the neighborhood riding the kids around and also whoever comes over to the house so it also get ran on the road a lot. I was trying to think of a way to get the rear to unlock. Is there a way to change out the rear diff or the gears in it from a Rincon or a Big Red? Or another thought might be to just pull one axle off and figure out a way to seal the holes up. I'm pretty serious about doing something and it doesn't look like the aftermarket is too worried about the issue. I know someone came out with a kit for Polaris to do this same thing. Any thoughts?

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I am thinking the Big Red has essentially the same drivetrain so that's probably the route to go

hicks4

hicks4

May 25, 2016
Sulphur, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
so just looking at the parts diagrams on both rear ends it looks like they have the same parts inside but the housings wont swap out because the bolt holes don't look like they line up. I wonder what parts I'd need to change out and/or take out to make it happen?

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
It wouldn't be in the housing. It would be in the gearset itself. The pioneers would have a solid "spool" running between the 2 axles, while the big red would have an actual spider gear differential probably. You'd need the spider gears and carriers, axle stubs, possibly a different pinion, and shims, bearings etc potentially. Definitely not a small job. Does the BR have a selectable locking rear end, or always open?

Reactions: joeymt33
hicks4

hicks4

May 25, 2016
Sulphur, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I sure thought there would be more curiosity about this subject. I guess everyone kind of likes having it locked full time...

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't. I'm like you, and we ride it alot around in town and it gets to be pretty annoying on the pavement. I would be into changing if it's at all possible. This is on the top of my list for the interest in the 1000.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I guess I like being locked full time. Or maybe I'm used to it since it's a Honda thing. Having a selectable locker would be awesome but if it came down to always being locked or always being open, I choose locked

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
We all would like to unlock the rear but not that easy to acheive.So I give up......Now its your turn......I would buy it.

V

vwprostock

Apr 15, 2016
Flower Mound, TX
I sure thought there would be more curiosity about this subject. I guess everyone kind of likes having it locked full time...

I would love the option of switching. I was looking at 1000 parts diagrams and the axle housings are different....

Haven't looked at the 4 wheeler parts diagrams yet. IF I am diving into it, I want it switchable if at all possible.

advertisement
hicks4

hicks4

May 25, 2016
Sulphur, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea I guess I have to agree, if I dive into it I want it to be switchable...Really wish you could just pull the spool holding both sides together and replace it with something that just drove one side...

Dogjudge

Dogjudge

Really this is my only complaint with the rig. For my particular application it is annoying at the least. I changed tires and wheels. Not so bad on gravel road, but on the asphalt it squeals pretty good in even a somewhat turning radius. I make wide sweeps to reduce the noise. Is there someway to allow one wheel to free spool? An adapter plate that has a bearing in it? I see some brainstorming on the horizon.

hicks4

hicks4

May 25, 2016
Sulphur, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright I think if enough people start thinking about it, we can make it happen lol...I take back what I said earlier about being switchable. I'd take it if we could just unlock it period knowing I still have 4wd and 4wd lock...

hicks4

hicks4

May 25, 2016
Sulphur, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Saw a thread about a guy trying to do the same thing to his Rhino. He's taking a front diff and retro fitting it for the back...

Reactions: joeymt33
hicks4

hicks4

May 25, 2016
Sulphur, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess this flame died out lol...I just don't have the time to toy around with old diffs and play around with all the experimenting that comes with it...

Dogjudge

Dogjudge

Gosh I hate to see this dye. I have been thinking about this and trying to come up with an easy and inexpensive way to accomplish it. The main problem seems to be the need for a durable application that will allow the wheel to spin freely but can be locked into place when needed. That axle has a lot of torque on it and the unit that allows for free spin would have to be fairly durable. I keep looking at other similar applications for other vehicles but have yet to choose a direction. I picture and axle that has a sleeve that can be slide up to allow free wheeling or snapped down into place for full service. It's the tension on the connection area that is the most difficult. Surely there is something already invented we could retrofit into place? Come all you mechanical genius's give us your rendition.

hicks4

hicks4

May 25, 2016
Sulphur, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm kind of thinking now to just pull one of the axles and just have one turning all the time. To me that is the easiest way since we can't think of anything else to do...

hicks4

hicks4

May 25, 2016
Sulphur, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've actually got to the point of considering a 1000-5. I have a Rincon and this 700-4 currently. I could just sell both and get one all purpose machine in a 1000-5. I rarely ride the Rincon, I just have it for a time when I'd need a 4 wheeler or just want to ride by myself on a 4 wheeler. And I have the 700-4 for the family to ride around the hood and to carry corn at the deer lease. I feel a 1000-5 would suit all my needs(and it has an open rear diff) and replace both of my machines...

Dogjudge

Dogjudge

The 1000 is just to big for my needs. Although I do like them a lot. So back to the drawing board. What's involved in removing one axle? I haven't studied that option over yet, but it was tossed out as an possibility before. I'm not near my buggy right now so I am not sure what's connected near the housing?

advertisement