Rattle in Talon

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
A couple of weeks ago a few of us went to Virginia to ride the trails since they were open. We were right on the WV line and honestly spent more time in WV on the Outlaw trails then anything else. Anyway, a rattle started somewhere on the drivers side by my door or right behind it. No mater what I did, like holding the door or roof made it go away. I went over the Talon when I cleaned her up and I can't find anything loose. It only rattles when I'm hitting bumps, so it's not an exhaust issue. I have 357 miles on her, so it doesn't seem to be something that is worn out. Any ideas? Useful input please....

Reactions: Isaiah
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
A couple of weeks ago a few of us went to Virginia to ride the trails since they were open. We were right on the WV line and honestly spent more time in WV on the Outlaw trails then anything else. Anyway, a rattle started somewhere on the drivers side by my door or right behind it. No mater what I did, like holding the door or roof made it go away. I went over the Talon when I cleaned her up and I can't find anything loose. It only rattles when I'm hitting bumps, so it's not an exhaust issue. I have 357 miles on her, so it doesn't seem to be something that is worn out. Any ideas? Useful input please....
Mine does this on the passenger door, drives my wife crazy, haven't been able to track it down yet

Reactions: Isaiah
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
When I unloaded my brand new Talon, it rattled badly. When I added the lower doors, I had the door skins off and adjusted the latch tighter. Later I figured out that the doors have a 2 stage latch like cars - I wasn't shutting the door tightly. 🤭

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Could be the shocks topping out, not uncommon.
That's a good point. I know these Fox shocks have the tendency to leak out all the air. I do have new Schmidy Racing caps for the shocks with the valves, I just haven't put them on yet. I take a look at the door latches as well. Or maybe I'll take the door off and see if I still get the rattle.

Reactions: Lil_Steve and CID
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
I kept hearing a annoying rattle in behind the passenger seat back it was a ongoing thing. I took the seat out and found a shot gun shell from when I caught a buzzard eating a dead rabbit in the road. I have the top off and I just stopped and stood up and shot the dam buzzard.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
my rattle was the end of the Tusk Jack (had put on a hex adapter for socket). Once found it, just add a rubber washer and gone

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I have that rattle on the passenger side and i think i found it, not sure what the arm is called but it is the arm or link that runs just above the trailing arm and then bends inward slightly where it bolts to the chassis right behind the rear fire wall. There is a round shoulder at the head of the bolt that fits inside the bracket on the chassis and that is what is rattling. Not sure what the remedy will be but if i get it to stop i will share it here.....

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
yes there is defiantly a rattle behind the door. We are looking at it!!!!!

Reactions: Montecresto
advertisement
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
Went out and drove the doors off it and NO rattle...so far
I had a rattle coming from the passenger door, a 1/2 turn out on the rubber bumper thingy below the latch solved it.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
My rattle was a bad shock on the drivers rear side. It was under warranty and it's been replaced. But I would call it more of a banging sound. I got her back and took the shock off and changed out the tender spring to the bandit, and put the reservoir caps on and had it filled with nitrogen. All good since then. But I do have some door rattle. I need to adjust those bumpers.

Reactions: IDIOT
IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Here is a pic of what was rattling on mine and i pulled the bolt out and covered it in grease and tightened the hell out of it with a 1/2 inch breaker bar and a long boxed end 17mm wrench. I have 2 rides on it and so far no rattle. Now to see how long it stays that way.
IMG 5985

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I kept hearing a annoying rattle in behind the passenger seat back it was a ongoing thing. I took the seat out and found a shot gun shell from when I caught a buzzard eating a dead rabbit in the road. I have the top off and I just stopped and stood up and shot the dam buzzard.
that is where ours is

wojtalon

wojtalon

Jul 30, 2020
Golden, Colorado
Ownership

1. Talon R
There is an apparent rattling noise that sounds like it's coming from the suspension. Sounds like marbles bouncing around on plastic. Driving me crazy.
I mounted a gopro to help diagnose the noise. Take a look/listen and see if you have any ideas on what this noise is.
Is it normal? Do you hear this same noise on your Talon?
Going to check on the "IDIOTS" mention above since that's attached to the suspension, it makes sense.
Thanks,
Woj

Reactions: CID and Tedbell52
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ewww. Sounds like you might have blown a bushing out of a suspension arm or one end of a shock. It would sorta be hidden inside its rod end.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Mine was the shock. I have side bars, and I could jump up and down on them and the shock made the noise. My noise was also right at "head height" when sitting in the Tallon. And it was more of a "banging" sound when the shock rebounded.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here is a pic of what was rattling on mine and i pulled the bolt out and covered it in grease and tightened the hell out of it with a 1/2 inch breaker bar and a long boxed end 17mm wrench. I have 2 rides on it and so far no rattle. Now to see how long it stays that way.View attachment 215213
After seeing this photo, I checked mine, it isn't a good, tight connection. I don't know exactly what type of joint this is but as I get more miles, I can see it becoming a noticeable clunking rattle. At this time, I'm only able to make the passenger side rattle a little bit but I'll check them from time to time.

Reactions: IDIOT
IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
After seeing this photo, I checked mine, it isn't a good, tight connection. I don't know exactly what type of joint this is but as I get more miles, I can see it becoming a noticeable clunking rattle. At this time, I'm only able to make the passenger side rattle a little bit but I'll check them from time to time.
Now i'm wondering if i have fixed it for good or will it start to rattle again at some point. The driver side does not do it so that tells me there must be a way to fix the passenger side. I did notice that the bolt on the passenger side was not as tight as the one on the driver side.

Reactions: Tedbell52 and CID
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
yes there is defiantly a rattle behind the door. We are looking at it!!!!!
Come up with anything on that yet. I have the rattle in the doors, and have adjusted them very tight, and it seems like it’s the door skin that’s rattling......🤔

advertisement