P1000 Quick electrical disconnect

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone using a quick disconnect on their winch? I've been doing a lot of reading since I'm Frankensteining a kit together to some extent and it seems like a lot of Jeep guys run a set up something like below so they don't run the risk of accidental battery drainage or damage.

This set up seems simple, but I can't seem to find one that fits 6 gauge wire (what the winch came with and Champion recommends for my application) that's rated at > 120amps (winch may draw up to 170 at full load). Anyone tried these, or running something different that you like?
Screenshot 20190405 075714

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe those are called Anderson connectors.
Are you planning on removing your winch frequently? I don't see a need for these honestly. Not if the winch is being mounted on the front where we all do it.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
have done quick connects on my last 4 machines, allows you to put it on a 2inch mount and then you can use it front or back and when its not being used you can keep it in the box or what ever out of the mud and crap. the ones I got were from amazon I think they were at an angle so there was more surface area

Reactions: TimG and dnjones161
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe those are called Anderson connectors.
Are you planning on removing your winch frequently? I don't see a need for these honestly. Not if the winch is being mounted on the front where we all do it.

No plans to go front to back or anything at this point, just thinking of it as another layer of protection against batter drain. Could be Overkill for sure .

D

DDDonkey

I have used them before and they work well. I had a removable winch on the rear, I have also seen those plugs set up for jumper cables too.

Reactions: dnjones161
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Anyone using a quick disconnect on their winch? I've been doing a lot of reading since I'm Frankensteining a kit together to some extent and it seems like a lot of Jeep guys run a set up something like below so they don't run the risk of accidental battery drainage or damage.

This set up seems simple, but I can't seem to find one that fits 6 gauge wire (what the winch came with and Champion recommends for my application) that's rated at > 120amps (winch may draw up to 170 at full load). Anyone tried these, or running something different that you like?View attachment 120716
It is a good idea particularly for long recoveries. An in line thermal cutoff will do the trick as well and is easily installed.

Reactions: dnjones161