P500 Question on tops

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
Well, I am down to the last major upgrade. Question for anyone who has one. I am looking at the Honda Bimini Top for the 500. Not a fan of the way the hard top looks and I dont think the Moose top would work with the way I have my lights mounted.

Here is the question: Can I keep it on in the back of my truck while towing 70+ or will it tear?

What is another $85 at this point right? If it will work without having to take it off and on I will pull the trigger today.

V

Vintage47

Nov 14, 2016
Meridian Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
You may not like the looks but I swear by my hard top. It has held up to numerous trails with low overhanging brush and limbs that would have ripped a soft top to pieces. It also gives me a rock solid mount for overhead accessories and light bars. If you are in the desert or wide open dunes a Bimini may work well for you. But I will keep my hardtop.

Reactions: Duckiller
Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
You may not like the looks but I swear by my hard top. It has held up to numerous trails with low overhanging brush and limbs that would have ripped a soft top to pieces. It also gives me a rock solid mount for overhead accessories and light bars. If you are in the desert or wide open dunes a Bimini may work well for you. But I will keep my hardtop.
I really just dont want to have to remount my lights or I would look at that more seriously.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have the Honda soft top. I have towed with it on a few times, and it hasn't failed yet. I'll be towing with it on this weekend. If I have any problems, I'll let you know.

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
I have the Honda soft top. I have towed with it on a few times, and it hasn't failed yet. I'll be towing with it on this weekend. If I have any problems, I'll let you know.
I like the way they look better and I can buy almost 4 of them for the cost of the hard top. Good enough for me.

Reactions: ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I like the way they look better and I can buy almost 4 of them for the cost of the hard top. Good enough for me.

I like how they look too, and they don't add any height to the machine, which can be an issue for some.

Check out the tusk rear window. I have one, and it's very nice for $60. Great for keeping the dust down, and it works great with the Honda soft top.

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
I like how they look too, and they don't add any height to the machine, which can be an issue for some.

Check out the tusk rear window. I have one, and it's very nice for $60. Great for keeping the dust down, and it works great with the Honda soft top.
Not sure that would work for me because I have gun racks mounted to the rear supports. I like the idea though.

Racks

Reactions: ehart814
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Soft top is nice, where I ride was concerned about ripping it off in the brush and/or via hauling in back of truck. I went a little different route and made a hard top with clear Lexan. Using quality Nutcerts I bolted it to the ROPS and added a new cross bar at top rear of cab. Once that was done made a rear cab from 3mm thick UHMW and front window. So far pleased with results, I'm not with front windshield but I will be with Version 2. Lexan top adds significant strength to overall cab I'm thinking this stuff is strong like steel. Have pix in sig link.

j

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I put mine on and never have taken it off. I pulled it 7.5 hours to RRb last year and its didnt even get loose. And trust me I never drive the speed limit. Ive also tipped over the machine 3xs and nothing happened to it

advertisement
Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
I put mine on and never have taken it off. I pulled it 7.5 hours to RRb last year and its didnt even get loose. And trust me I never drive the speed limit. Ive also tipped over the machine 3xs and nothing happened to it
And we have a winner. I am in. Worst case I mess up one, I can still buy another one and take better care of it next time.

Reactions: trigger