P1000m5 Project Yeti

B

BJowett

Feb 17, 2017
Extreme Western Massachusetts
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello Pioneer 1k owners and welcome to the Yeti build. This thread will outline the building and modifications that will be applied to my brother in law's 2016 Pioneer 1k5, which you may have guessed by the name, is white. We'll be concentrating outright on increasing the machines abilities to move quickly and comfortably through all types of New England terrain.

Tires and wheels are on the way. The 14" diameter that comes on the deluxe is being shelved, as they simply don't have enough sidewall in 28" diameter the machine will be running. Wheels are Douglas/DWT 3 piece beadlock Sectors, 12x7" 5+2 up front, and 12x8" 5+3 in the rear. We want to keep the width out back w/o falling back on spacers. Tires are 28/10R12. I wish they made different sizes for the front and rear... we have run the same size all around in the past for obvious reasons, but would like to move back to wider rubber out... maybe next time.

I'll be touching on suspension sometime this spring, and might build some extended length King Shocks in the 2.5" size. With the longish length of the suspension arms and axles, we should be able to coax some nice wheel travel numbers out of this beast.

Much more to come... feel free to ask questions, add info, and even criticize.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hello Pioneer 1k owners and welcome to the Yeti build. This thread will outline the building and modifications that will be applied to my brother in law's 2016 Pioneer 1k5, which you may have guessed by the name, is white. We'll be concentrating outright on increasing the machines abilities to move quickly and comfortably through all types of New England terrain.

Tires and wheels are on the way. The 14" diameter that comes on the deluxe is being shelved, as they simply don't have enough sidewall in 28" diameter the machine will be running. Wheels are Douglas/DWT 3 piece beadlock Sectors, 12x7" 5+2 up front, and 12x8" 5+3 in the rear. We want to keep the width out back w/o falling back on spacers. Tires are 28/10R12. I wish they made different sizes for the front and rear... we have run the same size all around in the past for obvious reasons, but would like to move back to wider rubber out... maybe next time.

I'll be touching on suspension sometime this spring, and might build some extended length King Shocks in the 2.5" size. With the longish length of the suspension arms and axles, we should be able to coax some nice wheel travel numbers out of this beast.

Much more to come... feel free to ask questions, add info, and even criticize.

Welcome from the States! Sounds like it may be fun to watch this build. Don't forget pictures along the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm interested in the long travel suspension mod. I'm wondering if I can just buy Fox shocks that are 3 or 4 inches longer, move my mount higher, and ditch my bracket lift.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Isaiah
B

BJowett

Feb 17, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First picture.

IMG 1090

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Honda advertises 12.5" of travel for their Fox QS3... much more travel than that will require moving the upper mounts...
I realize you're adding both directions but be a little cautious with travel, there have already been a few drive shafts spit out because of lifts.

advertisement
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome aboard from SE Missouri!

B

BJowett

Feb 17, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Our rewintering here in New England put the brakes on pretty quick with this project... but things should be warming up, so we'll get going again. The last of the wheels and tires should show up tomorrow. We are going to compare a 29" tire on 14" wheel to the 28" on 12" wheel. The 29" tires are GBC Dirt Commanders and will be placed on DWT Sector 14" wheels. One set will likely end up for sale, so if anyone is interested in a smoking deal, drop me a note.

Reactions: Isaiah