P700 Possible compression release problem

S

Samsmc1

Nov 25, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've been fighting with a 700 Pioneer now for about a year or so thinking that it was hydraulicing on me (I would pull the lower spark plug, spin the engine over. Replace the plug and it would start instantly).. As an aside, I looked several times in the parts fish for a compression release and didn't find one. Recently I saw a reference about one in one of these forums, so I googled it and sure enough, there was a reference about one, so I pulled up a closer view of a cam and there it was.
This engine runs perfectly, so I'm pretty sure there isn't and valve adjustment or wear problem.
I have two questions, What can screw up on the cam and how can I determine that this is the problem?
Thanks
Sam

Reactions: 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
HondaTech...... aka @Hello_Darkness might have an answer for you. Just give him time to find your post

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I've been fighting with a 700 Pioneer now for about a year or so thinking that it was hydraulicing on me (I would pull the lower spark plug, spin the engine over. Replace the plug and it would start instantly).. As an aside, I looked several times in the parts fish for a compression release and didn't find one. Recently I saw a reference about one in one of these forums, so I googled it and sure enough, there was a reference about one, so I pulled up a closer view of a cam and there it was.
This engine runs perfectly, so I'm pretty sure there isn't and valve adjustment or wear problem.
I have two questions, What can screw up on the cam and how can I determine that this is the problem?
Thanks
Sam
off the wall here, pull spark plug and rotate engine slowly, should see the exhaust valve lift a little on the way around, this decompresses the cylinder until the engine starts then centrifugal force keeps the mechanism outta the way

I’ve had the mechanism go bad on small engines over time

I guess if your cam is worn as well it can not be lifting that exhaust valve enough, I’d check valve lash as well

gonna take a little digging

could be fuel leaking in hydrolocking as well…..