Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'm sure everyone here will love these!

84088022_2524362684510639_3588231247781953536_o.jpg

83797978_2524362717843969_3103106612865269760_o.jpg

As much as I hate mud, I'm a child at heart and would have a blast ripping that around. Also, those mud guys money is what drives parts like these portals and internal gear reduction kits.

D

DDDonkey

Looks fun...... I like portals, many don’t, I like the look. Having the big tires looks fun but he price sucks, if you want to play you have to play. Thanks for the pics!

Reactions: Bastardchild
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Looks fun...... I like portals, many don’t, I like the look. Having the big tires looks fun but he price sucks, if you want to play you have to play. Thanks for the pics!

I like the idea of them for certain terrain for sure. I'd love some 4" 25% portals and 35 sticky tires for our infamous rock trails like the Rubicon and Fordyce. Being able to keep up with my buddies in jeeps and Toyotas on 40-42s in my sxs would be a blast.

Buuut, I've heard they really effect handling, and obviously center of gravity. Then when I put my tracks on, I'd literally be stuck doing 25 mph on the Rev limiter in 6th gear. (tracks are a 50% reduction)

D

DDDonkey

Yep define
I like the idea of them for certain terrain for sure. I'd love some 4" 25% portals and 35 sticky tires for our infamous rock trails like the Rubicon and Fordyce. Being able to keep up with my buddies in jeeps and Toyotas on 40-42s in my sxs would be a blast.

Buuut, I've heard they really effect handling, and obviously center of gravity. Then when I put my tracks on, I'd literally be stuck doing 25 mph on the Rev limiter in 6th gear. (tracks are a 50% reduction)

Yep definitely need to change out the tie rods and have a spare steering box or the rb3 one. But I do think the look a p1000-5 on 35” tall tires would be awesome, not for everyone, but I like the looks. Too each there own, but where I live there are no 50” trails. Thanks again for posting the pics!

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Yep definitely need to change out the tie rods and have a spare steering box or the rb3 one. But I do think the look a p1000-5 on 35” tall tires would be awesome, not for everyone, but I like the looks. Too each there own, but where I live there are no 50” trails. Thanks again for posting the pics!

I feel like the pioneer would need the wheelbase extended a little with portals and 35s. But every terrain is different I guess.

D

DDDonkey

I love the ideas of portals, the only problem with them is the lack of durability in the drive train generally.
Where is the lack of durability? This is a genuine question, from my understanding they add stress to the tie rods, a-arms and mounts, along with the steering box. They rest of the drivetrains components should be fine is you are a proportional size tire not to run too high of an RPM. I like the idea of not over extending the axles (the angle), and not going into the engine for the IGR.

Reactions: Bastardchild
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Where is the lack of durability? This is a genuine question, from my understanding they add stress to the tie rods, a-arms and mounts, along with the steering box. They rest of the drivetrains components should be fine is you are a proportional size tire not to run too high of an RPM. I like the idea of not over extending the axles (the angle), and not going into the engine for the IGR.
I had 6" portals and 35s on my P5. You are correct about the added stress to ball joints and steering rack. They also add stress to a-arm mounting tabs. My tabs never broke but I have 2 friends with portals on 700s that did break their tabs. They take stress away from your spinning drive train. I broke the output shaft on my drivers side twice, and the passenger side once. This is on a little light weight, under powered P5. I also have the Torq Locker in the front diff. Im sure the brackets and ball joints are beefier on a Talon though. I had a blast with mine but I took them off. Im back on my little 30s now. The pic of the Talon on portals looks cool. It still has i4wd though. Maybe they dont get into anything serious where you need true locking 4wd.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com

It actually doesn't effect your center of gravity like you'd think. You're adding 4" to each side (8" wider overall), so with 4" or 6" portals, you're actually lowering your center of gravity...unless you go from a 28" tire to a 42" like pictured...then you're right back to where you were. You see its stance in the picture. That thing is planted with a low center of gravity.

The handling is really only effected by the increased width. Its like adding wheel spacers or a long travel kit. Kind of like how the Talon R is going to have a tighter turning radius than the X because of width. But again, if you add a 42" tire like pictured...it'll add a little more rubber weight to turn.

Plus...its removing a ton of stress from your drive train and axles by gearing it down at the hub and not changing any axle angle.

It's always a good idea to beef up your components if you're going to beat it up with huge tires. Good ball joints, tie rods, A-arms, and a frame stiffener all help beef it up if you go with some meaty 40"+ tires.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
It actually doesn't effect your center of gravity like you'd think. You're adding 4" to each side (8" wider overall), so with 4" or 6" portals, you're actually lowering your center of gravity...unless you go from a 28" tire to a 42" like pictured...then you're right back to where you were. You see its stance in the picture. That thing is planted with a low center of gravity.

The handling is really only effected by the increased width. Its like adding wheel spacers or a long travel kit. Kind of like how the Talon R is going to have a tighter turning radius than the X because of width. But again, if you add a 42" tire like pictured...it'll add a little more rubber weight to turn.

Plus...its removing a ton of stress from your drive train and axles by gearing it down at the hub and not changing any axle angle.

It's always a good idea to beef up your components if you're going to beat it up with huge tires. Good ball joints, tie rods, A-arms, and a frame stiffener all help beef it up if you go with some meaty 40"+ tires.

I see what you mean, but Adding width does not lower your center of gravity, it just increases your stability. I believe you that it may be more stable with the extra width and same size tires. But who would run portals and stock size tires. 🤔

Unsprung weight will also effect handling, they are light for what they are, but every pound counts, and again, you'll be adding weight with bigger tires.

I'm not anti portal by any means, but with every advantage, comes a disadvantage. I'm still weighing them myself. I'm a rock crawler at heart, so I would love to run a set. Maybe one day 😁

Reactions: Hondasxs
advertisement
SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
I see what you mean, but Adding width does not lower your center of gravity, it just increases your stability. I believe you that it may be more stable with the extra width and same size tires. But who would run portals and stock size tires. 🤔
Unsprung weight will also effect handling, they are light for what they are, but every pound counts, and again, you'll be adding weight with bigger tires.
I'm not anti portal by any means, but with every advantage, comes a disadvantage. I'm still weighing them myself. I'm a rock crawler at heart, so I would love to run a set. Maybe one day 😁

You're going to love them for rock crawling. Its a must for the tough stuff, along with deep mud. Bigger tires, more ground clearance, and more bottom end grunt.

And...just for giggles. Here's a pic of a defender with 26" donuts, along with a 6" lift and 8" portals. Lol! 🤣🤣

Attachments

• Defender little wheels.jpg
    Defender little wheels.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 300
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I have to be honest I don’t think they would last very long doing the rocks and trails we do. I would certainly try it but I doubt the portals or the major parts of drive train would hold together. But if I ever get a chance to review them or fall into a pile of money I’ll let yah know. I certainly like the idea in theory.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have to be honest I don’t think they would last very long doing the rocks and trails we do. I would certainly try it but I doubt the portals or the major parts of drive train would hold together. But if I ever get a chance to review them or fall into a pile of money I’ll let yah know. I certainly like the idea in theory.

Lots of people on here saying that.

What components are you running that you think are so bulletproof? Are you running 300m axles? Are you guys breaking diffs every outting?

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Lots of people on here saying that.

What components are you running that you think are so bulletproof? Are you running 300m axles? Are you guys breaking diffs every outting?

I am running Keller ball joints, larger tie rods connected larger heim that connect to the RB3 steering rack with cfab arms. And last time I checked with RCV they still don’t make axles for pioneer in any fashion that in am aware of. I am not sure that portals would be able to survive our style of riding nor would the components. But maybe I’ll buy some just to test some day and if they hold I will gladly eat crow.

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I am running Keller ball joints, larger tie rods connected larger heim that connect to the RB3 steering rack with cfab arms. And last time I checked with RCV they still don’t make axles for pioneer in any fashion that in am aware of. I am not sure that portals would be able to survive our style of riding nor would the components. But maybe I’ll buy some just to test some day and if they hold I will gladly eat crow.

So you think you'd break portals but aren't breaking stock axles?

You realise guys run these with 40-55" tractor tires and 2-3x's the hp of a pioneer right?

I get that certain terrain is harder on components than others. But I'd bet that 6ou won't be breaking portals on 32-35s.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yes and yes. Also yes I think the trails we generally run are much tougher than mud bogs in straight lines. What makes you think I haven’t broke axles or ripped an A arm in half?

I’d love to try them though lol

D

DDDonkey

I am pretty tempted to buy a set when SATV has a sale (not the 10%), and put on a set of 35" with some upgraded tie rods. I already have the frame stiffener, and will make some upper a-arm mount and then roll the dice. RB3 is only about 30 min from me so if I need to get a better steering box that is an option. SO when is the 30% off or more sale.................

Reactions: SuperATV
Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I would love to do 4inch and 30% reduction with 32s paired with already present igr

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Yes and yes. Also yes I think the trails we generally run are much tougher than mud bogs in straight lines. What makes you think I haven’t broke axles or ripped an A arm in half?

I’d love to try them though lol

I live in the west, not much is harder on drivetrain than dry granite. Certain areas are like 24 grit sand paper.

I'm not saying mud is particularly hard on part, but running 55" tires with 3" tall is.

I watched a video the other day of a bunch of big ridiculous sxs's on huge portals running an obstacle course. Tons of broken axles, diffs, ball joints, and arms. I think one guy locked a portal up. Again these are guys hammering their rigs with 50" tires.

If you aren't breaking diffs and axles every trip, you probably won't have any issues with the portals.

The leverage on your suspension is another issue I'm not as familiar with.

Reactions: SuperATV
advertisement