P1000 Please help! Looking for best options to avoid hitting rocks in the rear of machine.

R

RedMonster

May 3, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi guys,

Thanks in advanced for the help. I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000-3 that has the aftermarket bench seat in the bed. Every time I have been off-roading with people in the back I have had problems hitting rocks in the back. The shocks are stock and I currently have the stocks 27'' tire on 12'' rims. My problem is that there are a bunch of ways to address the problem and I'm looking for the best way forward. These are the options that I see.

1. Cost: $1,500 Upgrade shocks. Most likely to 814s. I could stiffen up the back and it should raise it up about 2'' (I think...) I think I might need wheel spacers if I went this rout which is another $100
2. Cost: $900 arched A-arms with offsets. This would mostly reduce hitting rocks on the A-Arm. Would also be required for bigger tires/rims.
3. Cost $1,000 new tires and rims. The reason I would need rims is because with the 12'' I can only go up to 27'' tires. If I could go to 29'' tires it would go a long way toward getting everything in the rear higher.
4. Cost $300: Get a 3'' lift kit. I don't know how much this would help because I think I am often hitting the A-arms. If anyone has done this and it has helped a lot I would love to know.

If I wanted to be really prescriptive, I could maybe do rear shocks and rear A-arms. The problem is that 814 shocks are sold as a full set, so I would have to go with OEM load-levelers or Fox.

Anyways, how have you guys addressed this. In a perfect world, I would drop $3,500 and do shocks, A-arms, wheels, and tires, but I don't really want the throw that kind of cash on this right now.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hi guys,

Thanks in advanced for the help. I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000-3 that has the aftermarket bench seat in the bed. Every time I have been off-roading with people in the back I have had problems hitting rocks in the back. The shocks are stock and I currently have the stocks 27'' tire on 12'' rims. My problem is that there are a bunch of ways to address the problem and I'm looking for the best way forward. These are the options that I see.

1. Cost: $1,500 Upgrade shocks. Most likely to 814s. I could stiffen up the back and it should raise it up about 2'' (I think...) I think I might need wheel spacers if I went this rout which is another $100
2. Cost: $900 arched A-arms with offsets. This would mostly reduce hitting rocks on the A-Arm. Would also be required for bigger tires/rims.
3. Cost $1,000 new tires and rims. The reason I would need rims is because with the 12'' I can only go up to 27'' tires. If I could go to 29'' tires it would go a long way toward getting everything in the rear higher.
4. Cost $300: Get a 3'' lift kit. I don't know how much this would help because I think I am often hitting the A-arms. If anyone has done this and it has helped a lot I would love to know.

If I wanted to be really prescriptive, I could maybe do rear shocks and rear A-arms. The problem is that 814 shocks are sold as a full set, so I would have to go with OEM load-levelers or Fox.

Anyways, how have you guys addressed this. In a perfect world, I would drop $3,500 and do shocks, A-arms, wheels, and tires, but I don't really want the throw that kind of cash on this right now.
🤔........welcome to the club from South FL.

Uhhhh.......pics!!!!!!😂😂😂

So, like you said.....lots of options.
With 12" wheels you can't run the SATV arms unless you have wheels spacers.

Have you tried the spring spacers for the stock shocks? That'll give you close 2" lift.

You can get 30" Blackwater EVO tires for them 12" stock wheels. You should also run the offset arms with 30's but there's also a wheel well cut out mod that might get you by.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
By "hitting rocks in the back" I assume you are talking about a ground clearance issue?

Where are you hitting, under what kind of conditions?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Pretty sure it's a function of the rear Fox Q3 shocks on the 21 P1K-5 SE, they self adjust height to compensate for loading. So going with that type of shock may be an option . . . . though availability and cost could be an issue.
Nope that's the load leveling shocks that come on base through deluxe trims of P1K5. On the LE & SE trims the Fox QS3 shock springs can have the spring pre-load adjustment cranked up to achieve correct ride height.

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The problem you are having was similar to mine. I have a 1000-5. I need to go trail riding in Wisconsin I had the back loaded pretty heavy it would always sag and my rear tires would actually bottom out because I put 28-in tires on. Never had a problem with rocks on suspension that is uncurable without a arm guards or suspension upgrades. Shocks will get you more lift. But what I did sounds odd. But I put a 3 in bracket lift in the rear only. I then put on 1-in spacers. I also have 14-in wheels with 28x10x14 Maxxis Carnivores. So not only did the 1-in spacer make it track evenly it also made it so my tires didn't sit funny with a bracket lift in the back. Overall it sits pretty level and I haven't had a problem with the bottoming out.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

R

RedMonster

May 3, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-3
By "hitting rocks in the back" I assume you are talking about a ground clearance issue?

Where are you hitting, under what kind of conditions?

Normally when I have people in the back and it’s rocky. I’m in Utah and a lot of d we hat we have up North is pretty rocky. Clearance issues…

Reactions: Lady01
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My understanding is that to do it right you should consider arched c fab offset arms with the 3" lift built in. Get some rhino axles, 14 or 15 inch wheels, and 30" tires. Then you can add the fox shocks later down the road. If you ever plan on using portals down the line then you may want to consider a larger wheel.

To make it cheap, choose some arched arms (SuperATV or High Lifter), lift kit (High Lifter, Rough Country, eBay special), wheel spacers, and lastly some 28" maybe 30" tire.

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, if your undercarriage / suspension arms are hitting, lifting your body via shocks or brackets will not do anything to help.

You need bigger tires / arched arms / etc to gain clearance.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Hi guys,

You don’t say if you are carrying cargo in addition to passengers? If so how much?

If you haven’t already, sounds like a skid plate at minimum is needed.

advertisement
Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Can stiffer springs be retrofitted to the stock shocks to eliminate the sag?

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can stiffer springs be retrofitted to the stock shocks to eliminate the sag?
I would think so but a spring spacer will stiffen them up and get some lift

R

ryanjlowell

Nov 10, 2021
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the 1000-5 LE and was considering the arched arms with 3" lift built in, but have read its not a good idea to lift the LEs since the aftermarket upgraded axles aren't available yet? Is this true with the built in lift arched arms?