Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ok first time since we've had the pioneer I've got to say HOT! Today was over 100 with humidity. I'm a production automotive painter and spray 15-25 cars a day through two spray booths so I'm use to heat. The booths never went below 120 today and usually doesn't. Got up into the woods took off in the 1000 and said **** this! Wow hot! Took 10 minutes and great! You've never heard me complain except for water. Too much today.

Ok now for the funny part--my wife knows the problems and the fixes If I say this is what we need she trusts me, she didn't question me as I started, about half way through she says is that going to be our heat fix I shook my head thinking she was serious (she wasn't) she then says "you know the one thing that would cause a fire quicker then that in a Polaris?" I said what (still thinking she was giving me hell for the cardboard) and that's when she said "a key" :)

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
The real heat transfers from the hard plastic between the back and bottom. I was surprised at how little room there was between that plastic and the head and header pipes when I was working on mine today. The material I used comes in a 4' x 10' roll and is a thermal barrier used in race cars. Seems like high quality stuff and has a 20 yr warranty lol. Like anyone would keep a machine that long.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm aware of that as well. I don't want to seal it too tight as usually the heat is good. I'm currently in the woods so you just make do. Pulled out my 70's pickup fix materials. It helped drastically! Cut probably 50-60% out. Never bothered bad till today. My only complaint now is it seemed to intensify to shifter heat. But it's better. I have the Honda kit waiting for me but apparently there must be 100 Polaris recalls in front of me for a different kind of heat problem. I'm not letting my p1k sit because of heat I'd rather ride. I will be doing a thermostatically regulated heat control on a fan from an oil cooler shortly. But time is limited. Just want to ride:)

CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The real heat transfers from the hard plastic between the back and bottom. I was surprised at how little room there was between that plastic and the head and header pipes when I was working on mine today. The material I used comes in a 4' x 10' roll and is a thermal barrier used in race cars. Seems like high quality stuff and has a 20 yr warranty lol. Like anyone would keep a machine that long.
Where did you get the roll of thermal barrier?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is like Reflectix I can get at Lowe's, but it only has a 185 degree limit. Being that close to the engine and transmission I worry about it catching fire.

Concerned?

I think I'll try this
Thermo-Tec 14130 24" X 48" One Sided Thermo Guard Flame Retardant Amazon.com: Thermo-Tec 14130 24" X 48" One Sided Thermo Guard Flame Retardant: Automotive

1500 degree and flame retardant

If the Reflectix would work, that would be great, I can have it today and installed today.

Thoughts appreciated

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
That is like Reflectix I can get at Lowe's, but it only has a 185 degree limit. Being that close to the engine and transmission I worry about it catching fire.

Concerned?

I think I'll try this
Thermo-Tec 14130 24" X 48" One Sided Thermo Guard Flame Retardant Amazon.com: Thermo-Tec 14130 24" X 48" One Sided Thermo Guard Flame Retardant: Automotive

1500 degree and flame retardant

If the Reflectix would work, that would be great, I can have it today and installed today.

Thoughts appreciated
What I used was labeled for automotive use in firewalls etc. It is warranted for 20 years but gave no maximum operating temperature. I did not experience any melting on what I used the metal frame surrounding the air cleaner kept it off of the header.

Also on the Honda OEM plastic affixed between seat back and seat bottom closest to engine and exhaust has 3/4" foam rubber as its only insulation don't know it's properties but sure looks like it would melt just like the other stuff, mine had no indication of heat damage.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry Jackal, the link on this one shows the stuff for RV windows, etc. The link in your build thread is for the Cool Car product that is fit for the heat shielding. That was the confusion.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement