P700 Pioneer 700 - engine hesitation, bucking, missing

C

CaptHarpoon

Oct 11, 2016
ADKs, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My 2017 Pioneer 700-4 Deluxe has developed a major bucking/engine hesitation issue when under even relatively light load. It won't do it at idle or low rpm. My machine has pretty low hours/miles and has only been run on ethanol free gas. I thought it was water in the gas. It appeared to do it on up hills only, but nope, does it on the level and downhill too.
I am baffled. It seems like something cuts out completely and then kicks back in. I thought it was hesitating shifting, but it does it in manual or auto.
Is this a computer issue?
What kind of things should I check?
TIA.
Edit:
Just checked - 67.4 hours and 245 miles. Has not been used, abused, or wet.
Could this be electrical? My son and friends installed a winch not too long ago. Can't remember if this was before or after.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudwing
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
My 2017 Pioneer 700-4 Deluxe has developed a major bucking/engine hesitation issue when under even relatively light load. It won't do it at idle or low rpm. My machine has pretty low hours/miles and has only been run on ethanol free gas. I thought it was water in the gas. It appeared to do it on up hills only, but nope, does it on the level and downhill too.
I am baffled. It seems like something cuts out completely and then kicks back in. I thought it was hesitating shifting, but it does it in manual or auto.
Is this a computer issue?
What kind of things should I check?
TIA.
Edit:
Just checked - 67.4 hours and 245 miles. Has not been used, abused, or wet.
Could this be electrical? My son and friends installed a winch not too long ago. Can't remember if this was before or after.
Does this year have the seatbelt interrupt? I think the light would also be on in the cluster as well for that, but just a thought.

Reactions: Mudwing
C

CaptHarpoon

Oct 11, 2016
ADKs, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
OMG, that would be too funny! Yes, indeed, it does have the seat belt light flashing on the dash, and that is indeed new. We had the seat belt buckled behind the driver but I noticed last time that it had been undone.
Could that be the cause?
If it is, I am embarrassed, and laughing pretty hard too!

C

CaptHarpoon

Oct 11, 2016
ADKs, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
DG Rider, thank you!
My Pioneer is over 100 miles away at camp right now but my son is there tonight and sure enough, he plugged in the seat belt and away he went!
I had no idea that was a thing! I did see the seat belt bypass kit in the store and wondered what that was about. Now I know.
Thanks again for the quick response and advice. Hopefully my next post will be something more complicated .....
Cheers, CH.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
OMG, that would be too funny! Yes, indeed, it does have the seat belt light flashing on the dash, and that is indeed new. We had the seat belt buckled behind the driver but I noticed last time that it had been undone.
Could that be the cause?
If it is, I am embarrassed, and laughing pretty hard too!
At least it was cheap to fix.
FWIW, some have said that you must stop or even turn the machine off to get it out of restricted mode. I haven't had a chance to test this with my new 700 yet. Small case of 115 degrees.

BHarris8753

BHarris8753

Jan 18, 2020
Robbins, NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
I bought the seat belt connector bypass, it was around $10 and i dont have to have my belt hooked behind me. Plus if the day comes and i sell i can just plug back up and back to all original.