P1000m5 Pioneer 1000-5 soft enclosure

SP82

SP82

Jan 21, 2021
CA
Anyone have the full Honda soft enclosure set up on there 1000-5 ? I know a lot of people have the hard roof and soft doors , seems to be a lot of complaints about the gap at the top. According to a Honda rep via internet those were never designed to be mixed. Hard doors for the hard roof , soft for the soft roof. I don’t want the hard panel stuff but would like to keep the cold wind off the wife and kids. Especially considering we’re moving to much colder climates soon. Just wondering with the soft roof and doors if anyone has any issues or concerns or if they love it. I’m speaking of the oem Honda stuff. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Check out CEC enclosures. Had them a while and really like it.

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
SP82

SP82

Jan 21, 2021
CA
Yeah I’m not looking at aftermarket enclosures. Have a good deal worked out for a oem Honda full cab brand new. Just looking for any information on that set up.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the soft uppers first version on my P1k5 with the hard roof and factory split windshield.

For what they are they work okay. 3 seasons on mine and they are still in good shape. They do a good job of slowing the wind and rain, but are by no means great. I use pool noodles to seal up the roof gaps for winter.

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the soft doors with a hard roof on a 3. They work well enough to keep the weather off of you. They are far from air tight but on cold winter mornings headed out to hunt I can feel more air coming through the dash than around the doors. I’m in south east ky and use mine year round.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yeah I’m not looking at aftermarket enclosures. Have a good deal worked out for a oem Honda full cab brand new. Just looking for any information on that set up.

Sure I get that, unless whoever your working with is giving you there cost for it (still alot) you need to keep an open mind! Its a big investment and work to install to not be happy later and change your mind. I know, cuz i did just that. ;)

R

rickoshea

i have the oem stuff.poly windshield with a manual wiper,soft mid panel and a soft bimini.my expectations weren't very high when i installed the stuff and all in all it's worked ok.it's better than an open cab when it's -30.would i go hard cab ? no.not worth the $$ and hassle removing when it gets hot.it's a sxs.it will drive you insane chasing drafts and dust if you let it. if you just want most of the cold/snow out of your face it's ok.word to the wise,if you run in forest,remove it if you don't need it.trees will tear up a soft enclosure really quick.ask me how i know.and you can trailer with all of it installed,just keep your speed reasonable.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
OP, I fully understand your thinking and preference for a complete OEM hard cab. I have a hard roof, soft doors, and hard rear panel on a P1000-3. Also have an inferno heater. I have no knowledge or experience with either a complete hard or soft cab enclosure but I'll raise several points to consider.

1. Air intrusion through the shift lever slots. A significant volume of cold air comes in that way.

2. My Honda OEM two piece windshield does not seal completely against my Honda OEM hard roof. The roof has molded raised portions - probably to increase strength. Cold air intrudes between the top windshield frame/ROP and the raised portions of the roof.

3. An enclosed cab and cab heater will provide a great improvement in comfort in any cold weather. But even in cold climates there are warm summer days. You'll want cooling air flow through the cab. Opening the upper portion of a two-piece windshield and the rear window slider of the hard rear, and the hard door roll-up windows will help but will it be enough?

4. My state of WV allows ATV/UTVs to be registered and driven on public roads and highways if they have street legal equipment. Three (3) rear view mirrors are required. Inside and two outside.

Honda P1k soft doors are simply not intended to work with outside rear view mirrors as designed and built. I've purchased a pair of every cheap, plastic ChiComm piece of crap outside mirrors I've found on the web. None of them are satisfactory. They don't reach far enough out from the cab on the right/passenger side to be seen completely from the driver seat and the mirrors do not have sufficient range of adjustment to see cars behind the buggy unless their within 10' because of the lean angle of the windshield posts.

Honda OEM accessory mirrors mount to hard doors and apparently work well. They can't be installed on soft doors.

The hard truth is the current generation of Honda Pioneers, with many features I I like and appreciate, are simply not designed and built to provide weather sealed cabs. Sidebar: I would not own another brand with rubber band drive. Imo they're junk.

Many "band-aid" fixes are available but nothing I know of will completely seal Pioneer cabs against cold weather. Is that critical? Not for me. Winters in southern WV are mild and the engine generates enough heat after five miles of driving to provide adequate comfort. The aftermarket Inferno cab heater with engine heat is all I need. A wife and kids might prefer more on a ND winter day but with you, your wife, and kids in the buggy along with the two heat sources I mentioned I think you'll be fine.

Personally, my choice is hard roof, hard rear panel, oem two-piece windshield, and soft doors. Your choices may differ and will hopefully please you.

I'd like to hear your opinions about your eventual choice.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the 1000-5 with the honda hard roof and both front and rear soft doors. Like everyone has said it's not perfect but it is alot better then without. I have the second gen front doors and they actually seal pretty well with their sealing strip they use with the door. The biggest gaps are around the factory lower doors and the shifter. @Montana has built a shifter plate that will take care of the shifter problem, but there is still a pretty big gap around the lower front door and an even bigger one on the rear. A friend of mine put some weather stripping around his front door and it has actually held up quite well. For the rear doors we usually just throw an old towel on the floor to help seal up the gaps. It is a viable option and everything actually fits pretty well together but you will find were the gaps are on a windy day.

Reactions: SP82 and Lady01
SP82

SP82

Jan 21, 2021
CA
I ended up purchasing the oem Honda soft panel top / rear panel , doors and rear doors. And the two piece windshield. I think the biggest issue I’ve seen is people mixing the hard roof and soft doors. They weren’t made / designed to be interchangeable. The bottom rear door gap is an issue I’m going to attempt to correct with some pliable mud flap material. Trying to install this weekend but gotta work tomorrow. I’ll post pics as I go.
That being said I’m not trying to keep it warm in there but keep the weather off my wife and kids while we ride. I live in so cal so “cold” for us is below 50. Haha. Moving to Utah next year might install a heater at that point but realistically we’ll be riding in southern Utah in the winter anyways. Thank for the input hopefully I’m happy with my choice here.

Reactions: Lady01
advertisement
SP82

SP82

Jan 21, 2021
CA
Got my rear doors this afternoon. No time to install but here’s the front. Soft top with rear panel , soft front doors and 2 piece windshield. All oem Honda.
17ae95dacee04eb87e085474eac31591
79cb71e49e5e5c69824b6b13a73e5b6a
9732e9a599d1d90b1848d4e17a90f499

Seals up pretty decent. Doors bind a bit closing but hopefully I can remedy that when my rb3 bushings come in next week. By no means will this keep you 100% dry in a storm but it will keep most of the weather off you. Won’t keep you toasty on freezing day but will keep the cold wind off your clothes.

Last edited:
GROR

GROR

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 15, 2021
Castle Dale, Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OP, I fully understand your thinking and preference for a complete OEM hard cab. I have a hard roof, soft doors, and hard rear panel on a P1000-3. Also have an inferno heater. I have no knowledge or experience with either a complete hard or soft cab enclosure but I'll raise several points to consider.

1. Air intrusion through the shift lever slots. A significant volume of cold air comes in that way.

2. My Honda OEM two piece windshield does not seal completely against my Honda OEM hard roof. The roof has molded raised portions - probably to increase strength. Cold air intrudes between the top windshield frame/ROP and the raised portions of the roof.

3. An enclosed cab and cab heater will provide a great improvement in comfort in any cold weather. But even in cold climates there are warm summer days. You'll want cooling air flow through the cab. Opening the upper portion of a two-piece windshield and the rear window slider of the hard rear, and the hard door roll-up windows will help but will it be enough?

4. My state of WV allows ATV/UTVs to be registered and driven on public roads and highways if they have street legal equipment. Three (3) rear view mirrors are required. Inside and two outside.

Honda P1k soft doors are simply not intended to work with outside rear view mirrors as designed and built. I've purchased a pair of every cheap, plastic ChiComm piece of crap outside mirrors I've found on the web. None of them are satisfactory. They don't reach far enough out from the cab on the right/passenger side to be seen completely from the driver seat and the mirrors do not have sufficient range of adjustment to see cars behind the buggy unless their within 10' because of the lean angle of the windshield posts.

Honda OEM accessory mirrors mount to hard doors and apparently work well. They can't be installed on soft doors.

The hard truth is the current generation of Honda Pioneers, with many features I I like and appreciate, are simply not designed and built to provide weather sealed cabs. Sidebar: I would not own another brand with rubber band drive. Imo they're junk.

Many "band-aid" fixes are available but nothing I know of will completely seal Pioneer cabs against cold weather. Is that critical? Not for me. Winters in southern WV are mild and the engine generates enough heat after five miles of driving to provide adequate comfort. The aftermarket Inferno cab heater with engine heat is all I need. A wife and kids might prefer more on a ND winter day but with you, your wife, and kids in the buggy along with the two heat sources I mentioned I think you'll be fine.

Personally, my choice is hard roof, hard rear panel, oem two-piece windshield, and soft doors. Your choices may differ and will hopefully please you.

I'd like to hear your opinions about your eventual choice.

I'm Considering trimming the plastic and using the Photon Side View Mirror with Cast Aluminum Body & Bezel, what are your thoughts? I had to trim the plastic for the window mount already.

SP82

SP82

Jan 21, 2021
CA
I have some inexpensive eBay mirrors and am going to disassemble them and drill a hole in the side plastics and re mount them that way. I will post pics when done. The passenger side was a joke anyways , driver side will work great. Just there to be street legal in Utah when we visit anyways.

GROR

GROR

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 15, 2021
Castle Dale, Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm also thinking about drilling a hole in the role bar and plastic and installing a rivet nut.

SP82

SP82

Jan 21, 2021
CA
Ok well after shipping my rear doors with out hardware and dealing with that and being busy last weekend I got them installed. So here it is. Honda 2 piece windshield, soft top and rear panel combo , soft front doors and soft rear doors. I’m happy. Didn’t pay a ton for it , and for me it’ll keep the coldness off the wife and that’s what I need. Keep you dryer , no dry, in the weather. Still have to seal the door gaps at the bottoms up but it’s pretty decent in there. All windows unzip and roll up if you need air. 14120258cb802c75662e06f175c72fe4
43b55f036e870f6682eca8c4fe17a19d
9f06d454afca4615421811750de66cb6

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ok well after shipping my rear doors with out hardware and dealing with that and being busy last weekend I got them installed. So here it is. Honda 2 piece windshield, soft top and rear pane combo , soft front doors and soft rear doors. I’m happy. Didn’t pay a ton for it , and for me it’ll keep the coldness off the wife and that’s what I need. Keep you dryer , no dry, in the weather. Still have to sea the door gaps up but it’s pretty decent in there. All windows unzip and roll up if you need air. View attachment 294461
View attachment 294462
View attachment 294463

Looks good!
Your not running those on in the summer are you?

Reactions: SP82
SP82

SP82

Jan 21, 2021
CA
Looks good!
Your not running those on in the summer are you?

Well, first I live in Southern California , so there’s no “summer” riding here. It’s 100 plus. As far as warm weather I don’t see why not , you can unzip every window and crack the windshield open, but if it was to hot they are made to come off fairly easy. Don’t know how much extra airflow it would produce. The front windshield will be the biggest factor in heat retention and with the way it connects to the soft top it’ll be a pain to remove , maybe I buy the PBR extenders. Well see. First family trip is on thanksgiving and we’re headed to Utah so shouldn’t be an issue lol.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well, first I live in Southern California , so there’s no “summer” riding here. It’s 100 plus. As far as warm weather I don’t see why not , you can unzip every window and crack the windshield open, but if it was to hot they are made to come off fairly easy. Don’t know how much extra airflow it would produce. The front windshield will be the biggest factor in heat retention and with the way it connects to the soft top it’ll be a pain to remove , maybe I buy the PBR extenders. Well see. First family trip is on thanksgiving and we’re headed to Utah so shouldn’t be an issue lol.

Sorry you have to live in another country lol. So its like my summer all the time there and theres no way wife complain or not is my full inclosure staying on 24/7.
As for more air flow without. Hell yes you do! The pioneer is a hot box to begin with lol.
Ypu can try rolling the windows down but you wont get max airflow. If your insisting on using it all the time, Id ditch the oem windshield and buy the SATV flip. At least youll have the benefit of real good air flow when everyone complains that there frying eggs in the back seat lol. Been there done that.

SP82

SP82

Jan 21, 2021
CA
Sorry you have to live in another country lol. So its like my summer all the time there and theres no way wife complain or not is my full inclosure staying on 24/7.
As for more air flow without. Hell yes you do! The pioneer is a hot box to begin with lol.
Ypu can try rolling the windows down but you wont get max airflow. If your insisting on using it all the time, Id ditch the oem windshield and buy the SATV flip. At least youll have the benefit of real good air flow when everyone complains that there frying eggs in the back seat lol. Been there done that.

I’ll keep that in mind. Just bought the Honda windshield so I’m stuck with that. The PBR brackets look like a good idea. And Cali isn’t that bad. I’d like to leave but the money is so much better here , even with the high taxes and prices etc lol. Still do better here than almost everywhere else. Thanks for the insight.

advertisement