B

Boss0144

Lifetime Member
Jan 25, 2018
Commerce Township, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys.

I'm planning to install the SATV skid plates next week. I bought the skid plate on the black Friday sale. I was enamored with the 1 piece FUTV skid, but couldnt help myself at the sale price for the SATV. Admittedly, I'm more of a street and easy trail rider, so I'm hopeful the 1/2" SATV will be more than sufficient for my purposes. I dont like the idea of the self tappers so I want to use riv-nuts and standard bolts in those locations.

What size bolts have you guys used in place of the self tappers? I've got a stupid amount of M6 bolts in many lengths, but I'm guessing they might be bigger that I need. with that said, I havent opened the boxes yet so I'm really just guessing.

I'd appreciate any input from guys that have been there before.

My second project will be the back up lights from the club store. Last summer I tried backing down a friends driveway at 2am after a few sodas. It took a number of phone lights out each side of the machine to to keep us from hitting trees, lol. Can't wait to have the ability to see!

Thanks for any advice, and Merry Christmas!

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pretty sure they use M6 bolts on my SE's aluminum skid plate . . . (UHMW is lots better). Honda designed a pretty good mounting system IMO. I think it would be good, even for the thicker and stronger UHWM material that SuperATV uses. The SE's skid plate mounting holes are about 1" in diameter, then there's a thick washer with a smaller center hole that fits loosely into skid plate hole. The mounting bolt uses a large cupped washer, some 2" in diameter to hold the thick washer in position and hold the assembly to the frame. Thus, if the sheet is forced to move laterally, say due to impact or whatever, that lateral loading is transferred first to the spacer washer and then to the mounting bolt. This arrangement helps prevent the sheet from tearing or splitting at the mounting bolt as it has much more bearing surface against the thick spacer washer compared to say a 1/4" bolt going through a 1/4" hole in the plate.

Consider too, UHMW has a much higher thermal coefficient of expansion that the steel structure it's mounted to. I'm betting SuperATV accounts for this in their design - though I haven't seen it. If you simply drill snug fitting holes and bolt UHMW on, as the temperature rises the UHMW expands putting lateral pressure on the fasteners, opposite direction when it gets cold and shrinks. So mounting holes are often made a bit oversize to account for this.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5