P1000m5 P1K5D said go home...

A

AVKO

Nov 19, 2017
Sioux Falls, SD
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Good evening -

This past weekend tried to do some ice fishing. Woke up Saturday morning and started the pickup and the SxS. SxS growled a bit but started (wanted to make sure it started). Let both warm up while I gathered my gear and then shut the SxS off and headed to the lake (+/- 1 hour away). Got to the lake and she wouldn’t start. Turned over fine but wouldn’t pop off. Truck said it was around negative 20F. Went back to the in laws and it stumbled on the first attempt but then started fine.

Sunday morning it started with the typical growl but let it idle to a different lake a few miles away. Ran and started fine throughout the day. Get back home after leaving the in laws to put it in the garage and the starter wouldn’t engage. I let it sit while I did some odds and ends and it finally kicked off.

Any thoughts? I’m heading up to Canada in a couple weeks to do some fishing and not starting isn’t an option. I’ll likely let it idle while trailing the 20 minutes or so to the lake. Should be warmed up by then!

Also, looking for ideas for easy access ice rod storage for running and gunning.

Thanks

IMG 0226

AVKO

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good evening -

This past weekend tried to do some ice fishing. Woke up Saturday morning and started the pickup and the SxS. SxS growled a bit but started (wanted to make sure it started). Let both warm up while I gathered my gear and then shut the SxS off and headed to the lake (+/- 1 hour away). Got to the lake and she wouldn’t start. Turned over fine but wouldn’t pop off. Truck said it was around negative 20F. Went back to the in laws and it stumbled on the first attempt but then started fine.

Sunday morning it started with the typical growl but let it idle to a different lake a few miles away. Ran and started fine throughout the day. Get back home after leaving the in laws to put it in the garage and the starter wouldn’t engage. I let it sit while I did some odds and ends and it finally kicked off.

Any thoughts? I’m heading up to Canada in a couple weeks to do some fishing and not starting isn’t an option. I’ll likely let it idle while trailing the 20 minutes or so to the lake. Should be warmed up by then!

Also, looking for ideas for easy access ice rod storage for running and gunning.

Thanks

View attachment 64997

AVKO
Could be a loose connection. There have been others including mine that have a hard time starting every now and then but after a few tries they will always start right up. Being so cold probably doesn't help much either.@joeymt33

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Add an additive to fuel to prevent freezing while trailering. It also removes water from the system. Agree letting it run on the trailer is a good idea! Hell of a rig you’ve got there!

A

AVKO

Nov 19, 2017
Sioux Falls, SD
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Add an additive to fuel to prevent freezing while trailering. It also removes water from the system. Agree letting it run on the trailer is a good idea! Hell of a rig you’ve got there!

Thanks. An additive was my first thought as well...worth a try anyway.

AVKO

Reactions: sharp and Eltobgi
rubicon05

rubicon05

Dec 24, 2015
Southern, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Could you post a few more pics of the cab enclosure? How does it mount? Are you still able to use front/rear doors? Does it come off fairly quickly? They only have a Facebook page so not a ton of information on there. Thanks -

A

AVKO

Nov 19, 2017
Sioux Falls, SD
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Could you post a few more pics of the cab enclosure? How does it mount? Are you still able to use front/rear doors? Does it come off fairly quickly? They only have a Facebook page so not a ton of information on there. Thanks -

You gain access to the front and rear doors via zippers. It has flaps that wrap around the roll cage and snap back onto the fabric. Layout of the flaps depends on which windshield you have. You do have to add self tapping snaps to the doors for the bottom to attach. I haven’t taken it off yet but imagine that would only take a couple minutes.

Some air gets in around the pillars but most comes in from the Honda half doors. I’ll probably look for a way to seal them up next year. It works for me ice fishing since I’m already dressed appropriately for the weather and moving around. I’m guessing it would still be chilly if joy riding without a heater. But a big help keeping the wind off you.

Here are some pictures that should hopefully give you an idea on how they attach. It’s cramped in the garage and poor lighting!

IMG 0234
IMG 0236
IMG 0237

AVKO

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Awesome machine you have there. In temps that cold I would honestly let it idle all day. I've let mine idle on the trailer during my 20 min drive to hunting property and even then it's not all that warm. It can idle all day for just a few bucks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: AVKO
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Awesome machine you have there. In temps that cold I would honestly let it idle all day. I've let mine idle on the trailer during my 20 min drive to hunting property and even then it's not all that warm. It can idle all day for just a few bucks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All y’all could move south just enough to where your temp never has a (-) in front of it and you’ll be fine.

advertisement
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
All y’all could move south just enough to where your temp never has a (-) in front of it and you’ll be fine.

And if you move South and don't have any use down there for your doors and tracks,

you could just "store" them at my place and I'll take really good care of them for you.

Reactions: ohanacreek