P500 Ouachita NF Red Tape?

S

Sledge

What paperwork is required for riding there? Permit costs?

I have a bill of sale, and certificate of origin, but really don't want to title my P500.

Joe

S

Sledge

What paperwork is required for riding there? Permit costs?

I have a bill of sale, and certificate of origin, but really don't want to title my P500.

Joe
One might wonder why I don't just research this myself.

I tried. The USFS moron-bot told me that whatever my state required would suffice. I said Texas didn't require anything of me to possess a UTV, to my knowledge.

This confused said moron-bot, and it imploded. :)

If anyone can tell me what I will need to show to get a trail permit, I will be most grateful.

TIA.

Joe

Reactions: 500oneer
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good luck getting that permit without a title. You ought to try to register a boat with only a MSO or hand written bill of sale. The Arkansas tax office is rediculous to deal with.

S

Sledge

Thanks, Jbird.

Hate that answer, but appreciate it.

Am I barking up the right tree in asking USFS? Or should I be asking a different, possibly AR state agency?

To be clear, I'm a Texas resident, bought my P500 in Oklahoma, and don't want to pay sales tax if I can avoid it.

Despite what Bill Clinton said, I do believe it is possible to love your country and hate your government.

I do. I hate Bill and his wife too.

Joe

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, Jbird.

Am I barking up the right tree in asking USFS? Or should I be asking a different, possibly AR state agency?

To be clear, I'm a Texas resident, bought my P500 in Oklahoma, and don't want to pay sales tax if I can avoid it.

Despite what Bill Clinton said, I do believe it is possible to love your country and hate your government.

Joe

Just as a side note we live about 10 miles from one of the biggest riding areas in Arkansas. (Wolf pen Gap). This trail system is part of Quachita National Forest. My understanding is that no permits are required to ride there and we have ridden over there twice and never noticed any ATVs or UTVs with any kind of permit sticker.

Reactions: Sledge
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I've rode 800 miles in the Ouachita forest and haven't even seen any enforcement, let alone been approached. I have an Oklahoma permit on the Red Wasp, the Yellow Jacket has nothing.

S

Sledge

Wolf Pen Gap Trail, here I come! It's just 3 hours away, mostly Interstate highway.

From what I can gather online, no permit or $$ required for camping or riding the trails. Woohoo!

Losing my pasture-riding privileges may turn out to be a blessing in disguise, getting me off my butt and into some fun!

Thanks for the help, Jbird and Montecresto.

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Oh, you're going to sooooo love that trail system outside Mena. A couple things I can tell you. There's a very nice campground close to the trail head with a small store (a mile or less if memory serves) with hook ups if you prefer that kind of camping. At the store you can obtain a waterproof detailed map of all trails, color coded according to level of difficulty. Nearby there are also cabin rentals. Or if you'd prefer, you can do like we did and pack your gear in and set up camp along the trails. And..........unless you're lucky and there's little or no other traffic, take along good dust masks!!! They're indispensable.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Have you picked the date/dates you'll be going to WPG?

S

Sledge

Have you picked the date/dates you'll be going to WPG?
Nope. Probably about this time next week, if weather looks good. Gotta get my new tires and get them mounted.

Thanks for the tip on dust masks, although I'm not sure I would want to ride in such conditions on purpose. Hopefully mid-week won't be too bad. And it's been wet.

I'll probably stay several days. I'm self-contained, so will camp in the national forest.

Wonder if there's a good ATV mechanic in Mena? I could get my first service while I'm there if so.

Come join me for a day or two!

Joe

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Nope. Probably about this time next week, if weather looks good. Gotta get my new tires and get them mounted.

Thanks for the tip on dust masks, although I'm not sure I would want to ride in such conditions on purpose. Hopefully mid-week won't be too bad. And it's been wet.

I'll probably stay several days. I'm self-contained, so will camp in the national forest.

Wonder if there's a good ATV mechanic in Mena? I could get my first service while I'm there if so.

Joe

Very generous of you Joe, and I'd certainly love to. But I am leaving for New Mexico on Saturday, I've contractors to meet at my office there. And you're right, it's been wet, cool, and if you're there during the week, you'll have no trouble likely. Good luck, take pictures and post them here, we'll all be waiting to see them. And, I truly hope to have an opportunity to ride with you soon!

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, Jbird.

Joe

Just as a side note we live about 10 miles from one of the biggest riding areas in Arkansas. (Wolf pen Gap). This trail system is part of Quachita National Forest. My understanding is that no permits are required to ride there and we have ridden over there twice and never noticed any ATVs or UTVs with any kind of permit sticker.

Joe

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is a good ATV mechanic in Mena (Double D ATV). It might take him a couple of days to get to it and if you don't have the necessary filter with you he would have to order it? I am picking up my wife's Recon tomorrow. He had to replace the rear bearings and axle and it took an extra week to get the parts in.

S

Sledge

There is a good ATV mechanic in Mena (Double D ATV). It might take him a couple of days to get to it and if you don't have the necessary filter with you he would have to order it? I am picking up my wife's Recon tomorrow. He had to replace the rear bearings and axle and it took an extra week to get the parts in.
Thanks Jbird. I'll stop by and see him.

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well that's certainly good to know.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

Joe
Sounds like a great trip! I hope to go on a nice weekend camping/riding trip soon!